New kids on the block: The Westpeak Launch

Westpeak

All this naysaying... I like the look (though I've never owned a polo shirt in my life. Kinda looked like a banker on a casual day), so I'm going to throw some coin down. Baggies for sure and might mix it up the the trail polo in the bundle as well.

I kickstarted the limits power meters (look how good that's been so far!) and you boys are doing better than them in my eyes. :thumbup:

Awesome stuff, thank you for the support, you won't be disappointed, we can't wait to get into production and sort you guys out with some top notch kit.

Hopefully we can convert you to the Ride Shirt as well.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you need to trademark a logo? Surely if it's been designed from scratch by a designer there is no need to trademark it? You can't own the Kudu as an icon? I'm asking out of curiosity as I am a designer and never needed to go through this process...yet.

Pretty simple - so people don't use the logo or a similar logo, or sue you for using a logo similar to theirs.

Take a look at the SAN Parks logo - that is trademarked... quite exactly what categories it is trademarked in I don't know - but they will be grumpy if you use a similar logo in a category they have already trademarked it in (and you can buy SANparks clothes)

Pretty simple - so people don't use the logo or a similar logo, or sue you for using a logo similar to theirs.

Take a look at the SAN Parks logo - that is trademarked... quite exactly what categories it is trademarked in I don't know - but they will be grumpy if you use a similar logo in a category they have already trademarked it in (and you can buy SANparks clothes)

Thanks for the advice, we are investigating.

And that is also why a bunch of guys in South Africa can make and sell shirts under the Polo brand.

Ralph Lauren who owns the brand internationally did not protect his IP in South Africa during the 80's, so someone else registered a brand with the same name and almost identical logo here and now are the rightful owners.

Hence no proper Ralph Lauren shirts in SA as he is prevented for infringing their trademark.

Thanks a MILLION to all of you that have got onto the kickstarter page, we are well over 50% to being fully funded now with all your help.

Still a way to go but the support has been amazing.

Edited by Westpeak

And that is also why a bunch of guys in South Africa can make and sell shirts under the Polo brand.

Ralph Lauren who owns the brand internationally did not protect his IP in South Africa during the 80's, so someone else registered a brand with the same name and almost identical logo here and now are the rightful owners.

Hence no proper Ralph Lauren shirts in SA as he is prevented for infringing their trademark.

not entirely correct AFAIK

There's one shark who has the polo label here protected, just the horsey faces the other way.

the kudu thing I like it, but I immediately thought sanparks

http://sawildlife.co.za/wp-content/uploads/cache/images/SANParks-logo/SANParks-logo-2372832062.jpg

not entirely correct AFAIK

There's one shark who has the polo label here protected, just the horsey faces the other way.

the kudu thing I like it, but I immediately thought sanparks

Glad you like it, hopefully we can change that immediate reaction to: WESTPEAK in future.

I really like the logo, think it looks awsome.

Do the baggies come with lining?

Thanks we dig it too.

By lining I presume you mean shammy tights?

At the moment the baggies will be stand alone mountain bike specific shorts. We are working on a shammy insert that can be bought separately!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a MILLION to all of you that have got onto the kickstarter page, we are well over 50% to being fully funded now with all your help.

Still a way to go but the support has been amazing.

only R600 to go!  come guys, go buy a pair of shorts & a shirt!

Well done guys. Nice to see you guys taking the risk with an upstart. You could have moaned and blamed the economy (all while sat at Bohemia having your 7th beer), but you're getting out there taking the risk. Kit looks cool and I'm sure the range will grow. I'd agree to trademark your logo, but not that you have to change it. 

If I've missed it then sorry, but tell us again Jiva vs Fundi - what are the differences? (wanting to place an order and want to make sure first)

hopefully they ask you to give the sizes once they know the funding is in and ready too roll. 

Well done guys. Nice to see you guys taking the risk with an upstart. You could have moaned and blamed the economy (all while sat at Bohemia having your 7th beer), but you're getting out there taking the risk. Kit looks cool and I'm sure the range will grow. I'd agree to trademark your logo, but not that you have to change it. 

If I've missed it then sorry, but tell us again Jiva vs Fundi - what are the differences? (wanting to place an order and want to make sure first)

Thanks Iwan - thanks for all your help too!

Jiva: more fun outgoing colours with bright highlights.

Fundi: more neutral colours with understated branding and highlights.

I want to order shorts and shirt, but there is no option to select size.

Did I miss something?

Shot for the support!

You can place an order for shorts through our crowdfunding: http://www.jumpstarter.co.za/campaigns/westpeak and then closer to the time of production being completed we will phone/email you and ask about your size and style preference. 

Hope this helps!