Review: Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie

Iwan Kemp

In 2015 Specialized announced the Turbo Levo, a range of electric pedal-assist trail bikes, and have since rolled out several variations. These include a women’s specific, a fat bike, a hardtail, a full suspension 29er, and a full-suspension 27.5-plus model which we spent last Friday afternoon riding at the spectacular Jonkershoek trails.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An e-bike with Carbon rims. Makes ALOT of sense!!!

Not too long ago they said that about carbon rims on DH bikes followed by saying that about carbon DH bikes. Before that it was any carbon rim, preceded by carbon bars and stems, saddles, mtb's, road bikes, cars, planes and so on and so on. Before that it was alloy.

You either adapt and roll with the times or get left behind.

There are many advantages in the use of carbon - which by the way is still in its infancy and will see many advances over the next decade.

Keep in mind this is the S-Works model with top of the line spec.

Iwan, for who is this bike really meant? For doing multiple downhill runs; it doesnt make much sense as it isnt a downhiller and how much does that extra weight throw your handling out vs standard bike?

Honestly asking, so I can wrap my head around the use.

Iwan, for who is this bike really meant? For doing multiple downhill runs; it doesnt make much sense as it isnt a downhiller and how much does that extra weight throw your handling out vs standard bike?

It makes a lot of sense as a concept, it's just expensive. Neverending story (shown in the photo) is, like many trails in jonkershoek, a fun trail that goes downhill. I word it that way because it is not a "downhill"/DH trail. that requires a DH bike. With 140mm travel you could probably ride 95% of all the trails in the country without trouble. So if I could ride neverending story many times without the tiring climb back up, I would, and I'm sure most other people would too. So I can see the appeal. But then, I would rather spend that amount of money on something else.

I think Nimo has nailed it.

In short from my side: if you're in the market for a 140mm - 160mm bike then you should consider this one. If you're looking for an e-bike then there are a few options, but none with a well-rounded "ecosystem" as the Turbo Levo range.

The longer version: In sunny SA most single track (aka the fun parts for me) are sections that go down the hill. There are flat and pedally parts, but for the most part you can let the bike run and the flow will get you to the bottom. That's different to a DH track that you would ride with a DH bike. Although, in sunny SA most of our DH tracks can be ridden by the new breed of Enduro bikes. Bikes with 160mm and more travel, but that's another topic.

I see you are from Stellenbosch, so: Coetzenburg, Eden, Jonkers, G-Spot, Welvanpas...all of those will be a heck of a lot of fun on this bike. G-Spot you will be able to session until doves cry just based on the fact that you won't tire as much pedaling back up after each run. And to session a section won't kill you off as quickly as you can just spin back to the top or the start of the section you are practicing. 

I'm not saying this is impossible on other bikes. just easier and a lot (which is the correct spelling of the word) more fun than having to pedal uphill every time. 

For starters, the 6Fattie was made for Jonkers. The Turbo Levo adds another level of fun by being able to ride all of it in one day with as much of a workout as you would like to have dialled in.

Back to Neverending Story: getting to the top is not the easiest of tasks for quite a few cyclists. Doing it twice in one day is reserved for only a few. Doing it twice in a day after having ridden other parts of Jonkers first for even fewer. Yet, when I dropped into the trail for the second my legs, body and mind was still fresh enough to give it some stick. This is the beauty of an e-bike. Especially for those who do not get to ride often enough to be super fit, maybe for those who are not healthy or strong enough to be able to pedal there on your own steam or for those joining a partner who is fit and does not want to hang around waiting.

To repeat myself a bit: what is truly great is just how much of a great ride the bike is with the motor off. Neverending story have quite a few pedaling sections and I managed all of those without any assistance. In actual fact I think I did better on those sections than on my normal bike as I still had some juice left to pedal it out. For the rest I made sure I carried speed. 

I try not to pin things down too much as we are all different riders who are better and worse at different elements, ride for different reasons and like different bikes. But if you're a trail (on the aggro side of trail), All Mountain or Enduro rider you should look at this bike. Ride it. If it's not for you, then cool. If it is then give it some thought. Just like you would with any bike. Lots of too cool for school kids slated 29ers, even more so when LT 29ers start popping up - today they are accepted by most and people can see and understand where they fit in.

150mm 29er not for you? Cool. 100mm 29er not for you? Also cool. We are spoiled for choice so pick one that suits your riding and that you like and go enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Where would we be without pioneers and innovators?

The extra weight: it took me no longer to get used to this bike than any other bike we get to review. In fact, there are a few I can think of that needed quite a bit more time before I was comfortable. Getting your tail out takes more effort than usual...that's about it. But thinking about it again now it is a little difficult to answer as 1) our perceptions are not the same and 2) I only had the bike for a day and even on an e-bike there is only so much you can get around to on one day.

.....http://www.ktm.com/us/mx/250-sx-1/.....for the same money, and you can refill as much as you want....Sorry Iwan, its still n awesome bike and review....But the Stigma...dammit

Hehe. Sure. Now add the cost of a service every 3 hours (yes, hours) and then again 10 hours, the cost of a trailer (as you can't ride that bike anywhere), the cost of valves every 50 (?) hours, top end rebuilt every how many hours and the running cost of a hardcore 2T bike on top of the money you will spend to tweak it a bit added to the cost of owning a KTM and the drama of having to carry extra fuel around that you have to mix yourself and soon you will wish you were on a MTB you can hammer day in and day out at a fraction of the running cost.

Sure, I also wonder why a motorbike with an engine and gearbox and all the other electric and electronic bits often cost less than some mtb''s, but I reckon

a) A specific model motorbike recover the costs over several years where with bicycles we have the poor manufactures change the bikes very year. 

b) Quite often the highest spec, halo model MTB's price gets compared with a stock standard motorbike we all know will get an aftermarket pipe, new pegs, plenty of protection, etc, etc before hitting the dirt in anger. That's not even DS bikes that need a bashplate, hand guards, luggage of sort, bigger screen, crash bars and bigger pegs before you can take your "adventure" bike off road.

a) A specific model motorbike recover the costs over several years where with bicycles we have the poor manufactures change the bikes very year. 

Disagree: The bulk of the components on bicycles are outsourced and produced in greater quantities than those on motorbikes. I don't think Shimano and Sram are struggling to amortize development cost. The frame is typically the  only important/costly bit that is unique to the specific bicycle OEM and thanks to Chinarello Spazello bikes we now know more or less how much they really cost to make- and often they carry over multiple years with only paint and build-kit changes.

Not too long ago they said that about carbon rims on DH bikes followed by saying that about carbon DH bikes. Before that it was any carbon rim, preceded by carbon bars and stems, saddles, mtb's, road bikes, cars, planes and so on and so on. Before that it was alloy.

You either adapt and roll with the times or get left behind.

There are many advantages in the use of carbon - which by the way is still in its infancy and will see many advances over the next decade.

Keep in mind this is the S-Works model with top of the line spec.

Hi Iwan

I fully support advancement in technology. Whether an early adopter or not.

But I think you misunderstood the message of my post!

I think Nimo has nailed it.

In short from my side: if you're in the market for a 140mm - 160mm bike then you should consider this one. If you're looking for an e-bike then there are a few options, but none with a well-rounded "ecosystem" as the Turbo Levo range.

The longer version: In sunny SA most single track (aka the fun parts for me) are sections that go down the hill. There are flat and pedally parts, but for the most part you can let the bike run and the flow will get you to the bottom. That's different to a DH track that you would ride with a DH bike. Although, in sunny SA most of our DH tracks can be ridden by the new breed of Enduro bikes. Bikes with 160mm and more travel, but that's another topic.

I see you are from Stellenbosch, so: Coetzenburg, Eden, Jonkers, G-Spot, Welvanpas...all of those will be a heck of a lot of fun on this bike. G-Spot you will be able to session until doves cry just based on the fact that you won't tire as much pedaling back up after each run. And to session a section won't kill you off as quickly as you can just spin back to the top or the start of the section you are practicing. 

I'm not saying this is impossible on other bikes. just easier and a lot (which is the correct spelling of the word) more fun than having to pedal uphill every time. 

For starters, the 6Fattie was made for Jonkers. The Turbo Levo adds another level of fun by being able to ride all of it in one day with as much of a workout as you would like to have dialled in.

Back to Neverending Story: getting to the top is not the easiest of tasks for quite a few cyclists. Doing it twice in one day is reserved for only a few. Doing it twice in a day after having ridden other parts of Jonkers first for even fewer. Yet, when I dropped into the trail for the second my legs, body and mind was still fresh enough to give it some stick. This is the beauty of an e-bike. Especially for those who do not get to ride often enough to be super fit, maybe for those who are not healthy or strong enough to be able to pedal there on your own steam or for those joining a partner who is fit and does not want to hang around waiting.

To repeat myself a bit: what is truly great is just how much of a great ride the bike is with the motor off. Neverending story have quite a few pedaling sections and I managed all of those without any assistance. In actual fact I think I did better on those sections than on my normal bike as I still had some juice left to pedal it out. For the rest I made sure I carried speed. 

I try not to pin things down too much as we are all different riders who are better and worse at different elements, ride for different reasons and like different bikes. But if you're a trail (on the aggro side of trail), All Mountain or Enduro rider you should look at this bike. Ride it. If it's not for you, then cool. If it is then give it some thought. Just like you would with any bike. Lots of too cool for school kids slated 29ers, even more so when LT 29ers start popping up - today they are accepted by most and people can see and understand where they fit in.

150mm 29er not for you? Cool. 100mm 29er not for you? Also cool. We are spoiled for choice so pick one that suits your riding and that you like and go enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Where would we be without pioneers and innovators?

The extra weight: it took me no longer to get used to this bike than any other bike we get to review. In fact, there are a few I can think of that needed quite a bit more time before I was comfortable. Getting your tail out takes more effort than usual...that's about it. But thinking about it again now it is a little difficult to answer as 1) our perceptions are not the same and 2) I only had the bike for a day and even on an e-bike there is only so much you can get around to on one day.

Hehe. Sure. Now add the cost of a service every 3 hours (yes, hours) and then again 10 hours, the cost of a trailer (as you can't ride that bike anywhere), the cost of valves every 50 (?) hours, top end rebuilt every how many hours and the running cost of a hardcore 2T bike on top of the money you will spend to tweak it a bit added to the cost of owning a KTM and the drama of having to carry extra fuel around that you have to mix yourself and soon you will wish you were on a MTB you can hammer day in and day out at a fraction of the running cost.

Sure, I also wonder why a motorbike with an engine and gearbox and all the other electric and electronic bits often cost less than some mtb''s, but I reckon

b) Quite often the highest spec, halo model MTB's price gets compared with a stock standard motorbike we all know will get an aftermarket pipe, new pegs, plenty of protection, etc, etc before hitting the dirt in anger. That's not even DS bikes that need a bashplate, hand guards, luggage of sort, bigger screen, crash bars and bigger pegs before you can take your "adventure" bike off road.

Ha, ha!! Like your subtle dig!!!

BTW, are you working for Spez?

Edited by Underachiever

Hi Iwan

I fully support advancement in technology. Whether an early adopter or not.

But I think you misunderstood the message of my post!

The reason you add carbon rims to a bike is to increase the stiffness of the wheels. The Turbo Levo, like other bikes, can benefit from this. Is that what you were asking?

I don't care who says what!

I think there's a place for them!

Take my money an give me an Expert!!!!!!

(now.. someone give me R85K)

Edited by L.T.G

Disagree: The bulk of the components on bicycles are outsourced and produced in greater quantities than those on motorbikes. I don't think Shimano and Sram are struggling to amortize development cost. The frame is typically the  only important/costly bit that is unique to the specific bicycle OEM and thanks to Chinarello Spazello bikes we now know more or less how much they really cost to make- and often they carry over multiple years with only paint and build-kit changes.

The margins in the the cycling industry and the margins in the motorbike industry are also lightyears apart. Single digit profit on most motorbike deals, and 4-5 times higher on bicycles.