Two wholesalers in bicycle price-fixing charges get R4m administrative fines each

Steven Holmes

Prices were set to increase on 1 October 2008, as it was the beginning of the new cycling season and new bicycles and accessories were usually launched at this time and new price lists issued. Details of these discussions had been posted on an online discussion forum called The Hub and was brought to the attention of the Commission.

Missed that part in initial reading. Shame the old hub got broken, would loved to have seen the discussions in question that kicked this off. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue was price fixing, not the actual percentage of markup. 

Correct but the only way to bounce back from a R4 mil fine is to increase your profit 

guess shimano prices are going to go through the roof soon  :ph34r:

yea they need to make up their lost 4mil from us for their wheeling and dealing.

The issue was price fixing, not the actual percentage of markup.

This price would be fixed if a mark-up percentage was agreed to across the industry.

BOOOOOOM!

but, like the bread vibe, i suppose we're going to pay in the end.

You've already paid

Were you not part of exposing this, and subsequently had threats made against you?

Ja, there were about seven or eight pages of discussion before I posted the minutes and attendance list of the meeting. It got a bit ugly after that.

I am a serious doubter when it comes to the dealings of the competition commission. I take what they do and say with a very big pinch of salt!

I am a serious doubter when it comes to the dealings of the competition commission. I take what they do and say with a very big pinch of salt!

They have stepped up the frequency of press statements over the last couple of months. A lot of bluster among it.

sorry regardless of what whom may say; when I hear or read rrp..... I walk, pure and simple price fixing.

Feel for (some) bike shops but I buy every single part online now; we get milked by a corrupt government 24/7, no reason for me to allow this in something I do to forget about the government!