Voortrekker Monument bike park

Reden

Got a e-mail from XCOSA that a bike park will be completed by 11 Sept.

Seems to be more in the direction of Cross Country riding.

Will there be a gravity section?

"A brand new bike park, virtually in the center of Pretoria, will be launched on 11 September 2016! Initially the bike park will offer SAFE and bespoke training facilities to mountain bikers but will be expanded soon with a pump track and family friendly facilities. The venue to be used will offer cafeteria as well as ablution facilities and will shortly cater for the whole family!"

post-16912-0-64072800-1464942676_thumb.jpg

Rode there on Saturday, were warned by the overseer to be careful and rather only stick to one side of the park, as they have had some bad incidents.... 

This caused me to rather stay more on the tarred roads :( , and a exiting day was made less so by doing 10km only on the safe areas...

There has been issues some time ago (I am talking two years or so ago).  I do not recall recent incidents.  Can Anybody confirm of rescent problems?

There has been issues some time ago (I am talking two years or so ago).  I do not recall recent incidents.  Can Anybody confirm of rescent problems?

Since the last incident in Aug 15 where a mtb rider was attacked, lots have been done to rectify safety at the XCOSA Bike Park at Voortrekker Monument! Daily vehicle patrols, daily foot patrols, daily bike patrols and roaming guards with guard dogs all contributed to eradicate incidents. We furthermore have started to develop the low risk side of the area - that is the vicinity of the bottom of the amphi, north-west of the Monument. We advise visitors to stay away from the higher risk areas along the SANDF tower, Schanskop and fence along the highway into Pretoria.

Unfortunately there is NO safe riding place in SA, only low risk and higher risk areas, hence we try and create a culture of vigilance among riders. We're continually working on improving safety at the XCOSA Bike Park ... watch this spot! Lots of good things coming your way!

Got a e-mail from XCOSA that a bike park will be completed by 11 Sept.

Seems to be more in the direction of Cross Country riding.

Will there be a gravity section?

"A brand new bike park, virtually in the center of Pretoria, will be launched on 11 September 2016! Initially the bike park will offer SAFE and bespoke training facilities to mountain bikers but will be expanded soon with a pump track and family friendly facilities. The venue to be used will offer cafeteria as well as ablution facilities and will shortly cater for the whole family!"

The bike park will at first focus on offering opportunities for XCO, XCM riders and families. It would be novel if we can accommodate the ex-Groenkloof crowd to get numbers. The moment we have sorted the safety issue we would expand to the "gravity" fraternity as the high risk area at the Monument lends itself to it.

Rode there on Saturday, were warned by the overseer to be careful and rather only stick to one side of the park, as they have had some bad incidents.... 

This caused me to rather stay more on the tarred roads :( , and a exiting day was made less so by doing 10km only on the safe areas...

There are exciting to extreme bits at the XCOSA Bike Park - the low risk areas. We're getting our ducks in a row hence we're only launching 11 Sep

The bike park will at first focus on offering opportunities for XCO, XCM riders and families. It would be novel if we can accommodate the ex-Groenkloof crowd to get numbers. The moment we have sorted the safety issue we would expand to the "gravity" fraternity as the high risk area at the Monument lends itself to it.

Any idea on the planned route length for the XCM riders?

Any idea on the planned route length for the XCM riders?

Remember the XCOSA Bike Park is primarily XCO territory. Hence we are (have been for 2015 as well) hosting the Gauteng XCO Cup Series and Gauteng XCO Champs there. Although we also cater for nippers & sprogs as well, riding tends to be more challenging than gravel roads. As a result, when riding there, rather measure in hours than kilometers. If you add the tracks together you will be busy about 2-4 hours, depending a rider's technical prowess. Ideal training for Epic riders ...

I used to train there (traillrunning and mtb) on Friday's after work. Havent been there since the sh*t last year when there was a spate of attacks

Will be back if it is secure, but too be honest the nicest trails are the high risk area.

the rocks there are ridiculous just cut tires and mess up bikes , wolwespruit has the same amount of climbing , same day pass fee and nice trails not to mention no recored incidents and absolutely awesome trails with the option of taking shorter less technical routes(something the monument has nothing off)

If you want a good workout the monument will suit you good but if you are going to enjoy the ride and just have fun ...stay away  

I used to train there (traillrunning and mtb) on Friday's after work. Havent been there since the sh*t last year when there was a spate of attacks

Will be back if it is secure, but too be honest the nicest trails are the high risk area.

Your'e right, the high risk area has nice trails, but we have started to work the other parts and it pays off - we received fantastic feedback on the race track used for this weekend's Gauteng XCO Cup, and the next one will even be better. It will be ready the weekend before the race (which is on 2 Jul), so come and try it.

the rocks there are ridiculous just cut tires and mess up bikes , wolwespruit has the same amount of climbing , same day pass fee and nice trails not to mention no recored incidents and absolutely awesome trails with the option of taking shorter less technical routes(something the monument has nothing off)

If you want a good workout the monument will suit you good but if you are going to enjoy the ride and just have fun ...stay away  

Ja, Wolwespruit offers amazing riding! So does Red Barn, Buffelsdrift, Rosemary Hill, to mention but a few. Voortrekker Monument has never been a bike park, just a bunch of "un-manicured" trails, and this is changing ...

Ja, Wolwespruit offers amazing riding! So does Red Barn, Buffelsdrift, Rosemary Hill, to mention but a few. Voortrekker Monument has never been a bike park, just a bunch of "un-manicured" trails, and this is changing ...

I for one is excited that the monument is converted into a "bike park". This would automatically mean enhanced security - as long all parties involved buys in into the idea and accept responsibility (monument management and security staff etc).

Will you be having the xco intro series again this year? I missed last year's due to unforseen events....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I for one is excited that the monument is converted into a "bike park". This would automatically mean enhanced security - as long all parties involved buys in into the idea and accept responsibility (monument management and security staff etc).

Will you be having the xco intro series again this year? I missed last year's due to unforseen events....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The Monument management has embraced all facets to it - we even convinced them to have a separate business id for the Park! Although nothing happens overnight, there are exciting news pertaining to beefing up the physical safety! Willem. their security manager is on fire - he was instrumental in having the SAPS's air wing in the air within 30 minutes and having the perpetrator caught within 45 minutes with the very 1st incident involving that Danish girl during the UCI Jnr XCO World Cup in March 2015

Our XCOSA Series kicks off on 13 Aug 16!