Review: Lapierre XR 729

Nick

The Lapierre XR 729 is the French manufacturer's cross country race offering. There is a option to have an electronically controlled shock, which is rather intriguing, but a story for another day as we tested the mechanical shock model. Checking out the stock component specification for the bike online, I expected a traditional lean and mean cross country bike. I was pleasantly surprised when the custom built bike arrived from Durban.

Click here to view the article

That color - sorry complete pantone collection is off putting.

And why Wolf tooth on a xtr crank.... Why not just a xtr....

This bike confuses me from start to finish

That color - sorry complete pantone collection is off putting. And why Wolf tooth on a xtr crank.... Why not just a xtr.... This bike confuses me from start to finish

It's a custom build the guys at Lapierre put together from parts they had. You won't find it on the shop floor like this.

Don't the cranks used on the bike and 1x Shimano chainrings have different BCDs? Hence the aftermarket chainring.

Sorry Nick, you did mention the custom part etc; but now I am even more confused. Why have a bike reviewed that in no way resembles the one coming to market, except for the wheels? http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/2016/xr-729-729-ei-shock

It's available as a frame only option (so I was told). I tried to convey the feel of the bike more than spend the whole review detailing the outcome of every components choice. I hope to think it will be useful for someone looking to build their own XR 729 or considering a similar specification on this type of bike.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I like to read and ride non-standard bikes every so often. The component choice on factory bikes is usually very formulaic and unimaginative. I enjoyed riding and writing about something different.

Agree. Reviewed one looks like an enduro bike. Retail ons looks proper XCO/Marathon.

For my style of mid pack racing, I found this to be the perfect XCO/Marathon bike.

While lighter components would probably be better for skilled podium contenders, I feel the average rider would see improvements in their fun levels and race times by having a bike that also feels good on the downs.

It's available as a frame only option (so I was told). I tried to convey the feel of the bike more than spend the whole review detailing the outcome of every components choice. I hope to think it will be useful for someone looking to build their own XR 729 or considering a similar specification on this type of bike.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I like to read and ride non-standard bikes every so often. The component choice on factory bikes is usually very formulaic and unimaginative. I enjoyed riding and writing about something different.

For my style of mid pack racing, I found this to be the perfect XCO/Marathon bike.

While lighter components would probably be better for skilled podium contenders, I feel the average rider would see improvements in their fun levels and race times by having a bike that also feels good on the downs.

Any idea on price of the frame only option?

Any idea on price of the frame only option?

Ok, just called them to get this all straight.

The bike as specced in the review: R65,000

Full bikes
XR 529: R49,725
XR 729 with electronic suspension: R85,150
XR 929: R104,000

Frame only: Sorry, you will have to contact them for pricing.