Review: Lapierre XR 729

Nick

Fair enough. No issue with your review skills

It's available as a frame only option (so I was told). I tried to convey the feel of the bike more than spend the whole review detailing the outcome of every components choice. I hope to think it will be useful for someone looking to build their own XR 729 or considering a similar specification on this type of bike. Also, maybe it's just me, but I like to read and ride non-standard bikes every so often. The component choice on factory bikes is usually very formulaic and unimaginative. I enjoyed riding and writing about something different.  For my style of mid pack racing, I found this to be the perfect XCO/Marathon bike. While lighter components would probably be better for skilled podium contenders, I feel the average rider would see improvements in their fun levels and race times by having a bike that also feels good on the downs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The bright colour is one of the best high points on this frame! Infact as the year rolls to its end, I observe that this is now geting common amongst other manufacturers - that is colourful frames.

Remember guys, this style sold many frames for Look eg the 989 ( my dream Frame by the way). I believe strongly Lapierre bikes will go a long way in South Africa. Thanks all

These have arrived in SA ...

This is one Sexy beast

http://lapierre-api-v4.i-com.fr/sites/default/files/bike/2017/Fiche_A205-XR-729-E-i-TQAV.jpg

I agree with you 100℅! I mean, just look at the lines. I luv'emm!

By the way, I just bought myself an XR729 Frame to build.

• 4 months later...

Buyers beware, stay away from this bike, especially the EI version, this bike rides beautifully, it is fast up and down hills and keeps up with hardtail xc bikes uphill and a lot of trail bikes downhill but that is only when it works. I have had this bike for three years and it has spent 6months of that time in the workshop and probably the same amount of time waiting for spares. The EI shock servo motor strips gears, the frame has broken twice, the EI wiring has been faulty for almost as long as I have had this bike and the head unit has been replaced, almost forgot the cadence magnet keeps slipping. This French bike is even worse than a French car. I will never go near a Lapierre again and you are taking a massive risk buying one, you have been warned.