[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a guy who I see fairly often in the mornings around 6.15, so still pitch dark, between Racecourse road and Lagoon Beach in Milnerton. He's not on the bike path, he's dressed all in black, not a single light front or rear, gunning it between the two lanes of cars heading into town.

Can't believe the stupidity of some people.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread.

I ALWAYS ride with my lights (front and back) and yes this includes daylight.

Even for my short Uni commutes it helps quite a lot in traffic so that motorists are aware that you are behind them when you are passing on the left.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Poor visibility 

No lights

Salmon-ing 

Fokkit ouens, you're playing with fire riding like this

proof that "Idiocracy(2006)" was a documentary and not a slapstick comedy.

post-64325-0-03823300-1581962464_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Poor visibility 

attachicon.gifsalmon 1.PNG

No lights

attachicon.gifSalmon 2.PNG

Salmon-ing 

attachicon.gifsalmon 3.PNG

Fokkit ouens, you're playing with fire riding like this

just possibly .... force of habit 

two weeks ago it was still properly day light by 5:30

last week I noted it not being "that" properly lit by 5:30 ... and still commuters in my area had not yet taken their lights our of summer storage.

and this morning had some good rain to make it properly dark .... 

just maybe these riders got caught completely off-guard.

Winter is around the corner.  The mornings are getting progressively darker .... PLEASE get those lights out of storage  :thumbup: 

that said - I ALWAYS use lights when riding on the road, even in bright sun light

• 4 weeks later...

IT is now PROPERLY dark in the mornings.

Add in load shedding, ie no street lights, and it is really dark out there.

Commuter this morning had a flashing rear light, and solid-on front light.  VERY visible  :thumbup:   :clap:

I think we should just make a habit of always having lights on, on the bike. I always have my lights flashing when I commute, no matter the time of day.

Jip, same here

I think we should just make a habit of always having lights on, on the bike. I always have my lights flashing when I commute, no matter the time of day.

Same.

Often get shouts of "your lights are on".

Thx - they're meant to be on. :D

• 11 months later...

Had an interesting moment on the road this morning .... me in the cage ....

Driving straight into the rising sun.

Wait at traffic light to turn right.

Lights change to amber.

Oncoming traffic stops.

Light turns red.

As I get ready to pull away a cyclist crosses .... pretty sure in his mind he crossed it on amber, really not too worried about that.  This post is NOT some attempt at "victim blaming" !

What DID get my attention though .... sun in my eyes, the cyclist had NO lights, absolutely nothing to make him/her more visible.

There are MANY construction projects in this area wrapping up now.  I daily see contractors, moms-taxis, and generally most drivers, drive in what can only be described as a "non attentive" manner (aint that putting it mildly).

PLEASE put strobe lights on your bikes, both front and rear.  PLEASE stay safe out there.

Edited by ChrisF

From UK And TREK Research-

For those who dabble or cross into the dark art of road riding -

Research from Bontrager using a rear red bike lights with a bright daylight-visible flash, is the single most effective measure a cyclist can take to avoid being rammed by a vehicle. Recent studies show you're up to 240% more noticeable than a rider using no lights at all.

A bright front white flashing light makes you more than 210% more noticeable to cars you will pass, that has stopped at a Stop or traffic light. This should prevent fatal T-bone accidents.

A quality, bright light can be spotted 2km away. It can take up to 100m for a driver to unlock a phone when driving at 60km looking down.

Wearing bright light colors vests such a Fluorescent material reflects non-visible ultraviolet light in the visible spectrum, making it look about 200% brighter in daylight than conventional colors. This change of bright cycling vest can reduce the chances of an accident by 22 to 32% ~ British road safety Association. An added bonus is wearing a light cycling vest lowers your vest surface temperature by up to 5 Celsius the difference between heatstroke and cool bananas.

From UK And TREK Research-

For those who dabble or cross into the dark art of road riding -

Research from Bontrager using a rear red bike lights with a bright daylight-visible flash, is the single most effective measure a cyclist can take to avoid being rammed by a vehicle. Recent studies show you're up to 240% more noticeable than a rider using no lights at all.

A bright front white flashing light makes you more than 210% more noticeable to cars you will pass, that has stopped at a Stop or traffic light. This should prevent fatal T-bone accidents.

A quality, bright light can be spotted 2km away. It can take up to 100m for a driver to unlock a phone when driving at 60km looking down.

Wearing bright light colors vests such a Fluorescent material reflects non-visible ultraviolet light in the visible spectrum, making it look about 200% brighter in daylight than conventional colors. This change of bright cycling vest can reduce the chances of an accident by 22 to 32% ~ British road safety Association. An added bonus is wearing a light cycling vest lowers your vest surface temperature by up to 5 Celsius the difference between heatstroke and cool bananas.

If there was a device that blacked out cellphone screens and said cyclist nearby, please watch the road, would increase safety the most :P