[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think my wife found this article as I now own a yellow first accent riding jacket as well as ankle and waist reflector strips. Lol. I need to thank her again

Just read this interesting article today saying visibility appears to make little difference in New Zealand: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bike-safety-the-great-fluoro-fallacy-20160802-gqiwce.html

She graded the visibility of riders in New Zealand's Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge based on the use of fluoro, lights, reflective materials and the main colour of their jersey, helmet and bike frame.

Over a several-year follow-up 162 riders had crashes with vehicles, but their reported visibility didn't predict the risk of a collision.

"We concluded that visibility aids are not very effective in the New Zealand transport environment," says Tin Tin.

What did seem to matter was the proportion of bikes to cars in the traffic mix.

"We analysed cycling risk across New Zealand. Auckland had the highest level of car use and the lowest level of cycling. It also had the highest risk of cycling injuries," says Tin Tin.

The finding supports the idea that for cyclists there is "risk in scarcity"; as bicycle numbers dwindle motorists are less likely to expect them, less likely to notice them, and more likely to collide with them

I'm still going to light myself up like a christmas tree though, I think it helps. And I can't do much to change drivers expectations of seeing me on the road other than by riding my bike more.

In high density cycling areas like the Cradle , riders using proper flashing lights are way more visible than those without. Considering the diversity of drivers out there , having decent lights is not a wasted investment or outlay.

Went for a late afternoon ride today. I took notice off 2 vehicles that I treated as if they didn't see me as they approached an intersection,I was right and avoided definitive disaster.

I am frequently amazed at the nr of riders who wear black tops , jackets . I know it's the fashion but hey , what comes 1st ?

I saw TWELVE riders on Sunday while driving in the southern suburbs, all wearing (mostly) black. It was late morning, none had lights - all were very difficult to see until right upon them.

But hey, they looked cool when I did see them...

More important than using lights and being visible is doing the most uncool of all things...

Yep, go ahead and try think what that could be!?

I personally have been using one for about 3 years now and you wont catch me on the road without one! It's even attached on my sub 7kg rig. I've gotten so used to it that I don't even bother taking it off for races anymore!

If you're still thinking, it's a rear view mirror. Once you have ridden with one just long enough to use it properly you will never be able to cycle down the road blindly trusting that traffic approaching from behind will come past you safely again. It empowers you to act before a vehicle gets to you. We all know that somewhat sixth sense you get when you can just hear the approaching vehicle is going to be that guy\girl who buzzes you! If you see them in the mirror curb hugging from 100m back you can wave them over and SHOW them to move away from the road edge. It's amazing what results you get from just this action with those drivers. Yes, you'll turn your head less. Yes, you'll need to signal your turns better as drivers wont anticipate you turning if you're not looking back as much. Yes, you'll have to get used to working out what a safe passing distance looks like and not feel unnerved when you first start using it, seeing what you simply are trusting riding without it. Get one, get over the initial overload and then you'll wonder why you never fitted it years before! 

Edited by Tubehunter

Brightly coloured kit for me is a given.  Feel feathers for the stylish dark kit.

I have been using lights for a long time but experienced the difference it makes here in Europe.  When it is overcast I have the lights on in daytime as well and it is noticeable how cars do see you better than without the lights.

What is new to me from the article 'Dale posted was the effectiveness of the reflective strips on the knees and ankles.  My legwarmers do have strips in but will need to buy new winter gear soon and will take that into consideration.

I think my wife found this article as I now own a yellow first accent riding jacket as well as ankle and waist reflector strips. Lol. I need to thank her again

My wife got me one these a few years ago when I was commuting everyday. Now days I commute a few times a week and stopped since I now use a backpack which covers it. This article was just the motivation I needed and took the 2 minutes required to attache it the backpack. 

I don't know about other parts of the world but around here, it seems like the higher the self perceived level of pro-ism of a rider, the less likely they are to ride with any sort of light, front or back.

One would think that they should be setting an example to the newer guys to the sport. And no, having lots of lights/ high vis stuff does not make you look like a noob. On the contrary, not having any makes you look stupid.

I saw an interesting contrast on the way to work this morning - Main road around the brewery / Dean street.

1. A mountain biker: full black kit, no lights (front or back), no reflective strips.

2. A runner: yellow backpack, headlamp, the most reflective tights I have ever seen (his legs were massively lit up), light-blue vest.

and the runner was like that to run on the pavement...