Newbie not sure of bike size

DemiCat

Hello

So I've been doing indoor spinning for 5 months now,and I'd like to join the group who goes mountain biking over weekends for the real deal.

First I need a proper bike,before going shopping for a bike,I'm trying to figure out what size I should be looking for.

I'm 1.61m and my inseam is 72cm.

Thanks in advance

Thank you,I saw that website. I'm looking for a chart about wheel size though.  :w00t:

Sorry that's not a discussion that I am knowledgeable in to be able to advise however many many hubbers are  :devil:

Thank you,I saw that website. I'm looking for a chart about wheel size though.  :w00t:

150cm and below - 26" wheels

150 - 175cm - 27.5" wheels

176cm and above - 29" wheels

:ph34r:  :whistling: 

Most posts in the past suggested that shorter people should stay away from larger wheels - I don't know if that is still the case.

If it is, consider 650b perhaps.

Ah. Then whatever you want. 

You MAY find some 29ers higher in the front than is ideal for someone of your height, which will result in a sub-optimal setup unless you employ ridiculously shaped stems and flat bars to lower the cockpit a bit. As a general rule, I'd say 27.5 ideally. Slightly lower stack height (height at the stem from the axle) thanks to the smaller wheel and fork combination. 

Some niners would have lower stack heights than other 650's though, so it won't be a blanket recommendation - it'd come down to the individual bike's geometry. 

In short - it depends. Don't concentrate on wheel size, as it isn't the be all and end all. 

You MAY find some 29ers higher in the front than is ideal for someone of your height, which will result in a sub-optimal setup unless you employ ridiculously shaped stems and flat bars to lower the cockpit a bit. As a general rule, I'd say 27.5 ideally. Slightly lower stack height (height at the stem from the axle) thanks to the smaller wheel and fork combination. 

Some niners would have lower stack heights than other 650's though, so it won't be a blanket recommendation - it'd come down to the individual bike's geometry. 

In short - it depends. Don't concentrate on wheel size, as it isn't the be all and end all. 

Thank you !

Ai my Captain, you know it's not Friday yet *SMH*

If your plan is to buy new, the bike shop you are buying from should advise you of the size. At least, they should perform a basic setup.

As a rule, wheelsize is independent of frame size and is rather driven by application.

There are very small people on very small frames and 29" wheels and for decades big people rode big frames and 26" wheels.

Make sure that the frame is the right size - at your size highly likely to be a small .

Edited by eddy