Tough to say anything bad once you've invested so much in the piece of equipment. :)

I do think there's enough evidence though to justify the use of powermeters.

But like any training tool, it's only effective when used properly.

Will it make you win races - no, probably not if you weren't good enough to win to start.

We agree with you Thomo. Proper use is the only way the value will be demonstrated.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We know how much you chaps love to #Hammer :)

We still use heart rate to prescribe training and are firm believers that you can train very effectively with heart rate, no matter the level of the athlete.

Power adds an extra variable that allows us to effectively monitor training load and progression (improvements).

In addition, the relationship between heart rate and power output and perception of effort helps us monitor fatigue too.

As indicated above, information is only valuable if you know how to interpret it.

Would it help if we held a talk to discuss this in more detail? I am sure we could organize this if there was enough interest.

Yes, some more info would be great. Even when looking at HR based training, it can be a bit confusing. There are different zones based upon max HR, some use HR reserve, then the zones are also configured different i.e. Is zone 3 between 70 and 80% for example or a different % range?

We know how much you chaps love to #Hammer :)

We still use heart rate to prescribe training and are firm believers that you can train very effectively with heart rate, no matter the level of the athlete.

Power adds an extra variable that allows us to effectively monitor training load and progression (improvements).

In addition, the relationship between heart rate and power output and perception of effort helps us monitor fatigue too.

As indicated above, information is only valuable if you know how to interpret it.

Would it help if we held a talk to discuss this in more detail? I am sure we could organize this if there was enough interest.

Thanks for the response, it makes sense in terms of being more effective with the time available. 

I saw there was something on the hub the other day about some workshop later in the year, maybe we should attend that.

Appreciate the response

Training and racing with a power meter - Coggan and Allen

Great read and fantastic place to start

Yip

Really superb

Simply written and complicated concepts translated into straightforward ideas

What are the cost for an entry level power meter model.....if there is such a thing!!?? :-)

You wont get much change out of R10k or more... unless you find something in the classifieds 

Agreed, but the only PM I would purchase 2nd hand would be a PowerTap hub as at least if the electronics fail, they can replace the electronics, still not cheap to do but at lest do-able (locally)...also they have a decent upgrade path i.e. a 2005 hub could be updated to a 2016 G3...I also saw recently they had a trade in policy recently where you could get discounts on a new system for trading in your old system....that makes sense to me...

I find that I can cut out the "junk miles" - my trianing has become more efficient time wise - better results - less time.

Now to focus on not falling off the bike so much.... :)

What are 'junk miles'? I've been cycling for nearly 3 decades and can't recall any of my rides ever containing junk miles or is that only for Pro's ....

What are 'junk miles'? I've been cycling for nearly 3 decades and can't recall any of my rides ever containing junk miles or is that only for Pro's ....

Eliminating hours on the bike that have no substantial influence on your fitness goals.  For the time constrained cyclist you see.  Like, too many recovery rides or LSD rides where a fitness base already exists.

Anybody seen a proper marked improvement going from HR to Power training that is not a pro athlete? It makes indoor training sessions easier to execute, but I am not 100% sold on the bike. 

I normally just hang on up the climbs and recover till the next one, repeat. Will a power meter make a difference?

If you know what to look for yes, but for the average cyclist without a coach it is like a bragging tool to say you smash 400watt up Llandudno all the way to the top.

When I used to be coached they were able to analyse data better, at the moment I am a recreational cyclist and I just look at my power once a while to see how my fitness is but normally when you k@k off it means you pushing out higher power...your hrt will also be higher.

Wouldnt say it is a need it is more a luxury. Just my 2c

Dr Swart, would you please be able to release a typical intensity session you suggest to a XCO pro cyclist during peak season?

I would love to see a workout for Phil Buys in his final preperation week before Rio.

20 min warmup @ 250 W?

3 x 5 min interval @ 400 W?

20 min cooldown @ 150 W?

Miles that are fun to ride, but don't add value training wise - so depends on you point of view and intentions if they are junk or just riding.

If you want to go faster - then junk miles just use time with little or no contribution to going faster... and plenty of people call that training.....

Training and racing with a power meter - Coggan and Allen

Great read and fantastic place to start

MANDATORY read if you want to get value out of the power meter.

Miles that are fun to ride, but don't add value training wise - so depends on you point of view and intentions if they are junk or just riding.

If you want to go faster - then junk miles just use time with little or no contribution to going faster... and plenty of people call that training.....

I like the adage

When you go hard, go absolutely hard

When you want a coffee ride, really keep it in Z1

Junk miles are also made up of soft pedaling or freewheeling after cresting a hill or rolling effortless with a tailwind

And the power meter says 0 watts, no effort, no force

Really keeps me honest

I have a Power Tap HR strap / power monitor linked to a Garmin 800 .

I set it to average watts and know that if I am racing , according to my readings , if I ride at or above 220 watts for longer than 2.5 hours I will blow BIG TIME .

Now I am aware that the HR strap/ power meter is not as accurate as a hub based or crank based meter , but for me it works because it is only my variables that change IE easy ride , fatigue etc .

So I do use it when racing , and have learnt what my limit is .

Now to train to improve that limit ......

Edited by Popit