Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Please share this very urgent warning to all South African athletes, especially cyclists. After the trauma I have experienced in the past 24hrs, I hope no one else falls into this trap.
If you intend to travel overseas with your bicycle, or any other sporting equipment of a similar size (surfing, wind surfing, paragliding etc). Please please PLEASE don't book your flights with Emirates!!!!!
You will regret it as much as I am doing now when you pitch up at the airport with your bike bag/box and get slapped with a $500 US (R7500) charge to have your bike on the plane.
Emirates advertises a new baggage policy (effective April 2016), with an impressive 2x 23kg pieces of luggage per traveller when flying from/to Africa. What is hidden in the fine-print however, is that they limit the size of these pieces to nothing bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

You try fitting a bike, kit, clothes and everything else you need to compete overseas with, into 2 suitcase....in fact, just try fitting a bicycle into that space.

Emirates has effectively banned all athletes from travelling overseas on their airline and I am sure there are a lot of people who's travels and plans are going to be horribly ruined in the near future.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHARE!!!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really sorry to hear about that. What did you do, were/are you able to get your bike into a smaller suitcase?

Many airlines allow a "sporting good concession" their their flights, but these have to be arranged in advance. I did that for a trip on Singapore Airlines with scuba gear. I'm not sure of Emirates, but I've heard from some people who fly with kit quite often that it can be done on application.

Sorry for the nasty surprise though.

crap. That sucks.reminds me of a time Iflew aer lingus (irish carrier) and was travelling with kids so bough an extra bag online in advance being the smart traveler i thought i was. Arrived at check in and was stung GBP300 in excess weight - when i replied "there must be some mistake i bought an extra bag" the check in lady sweetly replied "yes dear, i see you bought and extra bag, you just didn't buy any weight with it" So i had just bough the ability to divide my existing weight allowance among one more bag... FAIL.

Always fly emirates so this is big :( 

So to confirm there is now a standard $500 charge to fly with a bike box? Even without any other luggage?

FYI - and positively - i noticed that SAA still have the sporting allowance where 23kg of sports equipment is NOT included in your baggage allowance which rocks. Most other airlines allow you to take sporting equipment BUT it is included in your weight allowance.

I've travelled Emirates tens of times with a bike box and never had a hassle, as long as it formed part of my normal weight allowance!

I checked their online sports baggage allowance and it does not seem to have changed.

They still allow a 'hard shell' bike box, as long as it's within your allowed weight.

I'm not employed by Emirates, nor on their side, but perhaps you were just unlucky with the flunky you dealt with.

Edited by HeyYou

Hell i dont know the baggage rules are on the site mfor all to read. guess you got slapped with weight and size penalties but the info its all there. All airlines have their own whimps when it gets to sports goods its worth spending the time to make sure youndont have nasty surprises.

Please share this very urgent warning to all South African athletes, especially cyclists. After the trauma I have experienced in the past 24hrs, I hope no one else falls into this trap.

If you intend to travel overseas with your bicycle, or any other sporting equipment of a similar size (surfing, wind surfing, paragliding etc). Please please PLEASE don't book your flights with Emirates!!!!!

You will regret it as much as I am doing now when you pitch up at the airport with your bike bag/box and get slapped with a $500 US (R7500) charge to have your bike on the plane.

Emirates advertises a new baggage policy (effective April 2016), with an impressive 2x 23kg pieces of luggage per traveller when flying from/to Africa. What is hidden in the fine-print however, is that they limit the size of these pieces to nothing bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

You try fitting a bike, kit, clothes and everything else you need to compete overseas with, into 2 suitcase....in fact, just try fitting a bicycle into that space.

Emirates has effectively banned all athletes from travelling overseas on their airline and I am sure there are a lot of people who's travels and plans are going to be horribly ruined in the near future.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHARE!!!

Hi there, sorry to hear about that and thanks for sharing,

Would i be correct is stating the current size allowance  is 300cm (l+b+w)?

For customers with two pieces of luggage in all three classes, the total combined dimensions of both pieces should not exceed 300cm (118 inches). (taken from site)

if so thats a lot bigger than a medium sized suitcase?

if im wrong please copy and paste fineprint.

Their rules are very clear and have been posted on this sire often.

But as this clearly has not been read here they are again: http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

No change April 2016, these have been in place for a few years.

Actual cost is US$ 175, I paste the relevant paragraph:

"Any individual bag with total dimensions (L+B+H) over 150cms (59 inches) and up to 300cms (118 inches) and not exceeding the free baggage allowance of two pieces or not exceeding 32kg.
Charge applicable: USD 175 / CAD 175."

So if you paid $500 you could not have been charged for only 1 bike box. Overweight perhaps? But not only 1 bike box.

Hi there, sorry to hear about that and thanks for sharing,

Would i be correct is stating the current size allowance  is 300cm (l+b+w)?

For customers with two pieces of luggage in all three classes, the total combined dimensions of both pieces should not exceed 300cm (118 inches). (taken from site)

if so thats a lot bigger than a medium sized suitcase?

if im wrong please copy and paste fineprint.

Correct. But effective 15 April 2016 this changed.

Baggage policy for Africa

For tickets issued on or after 15 April 2016

For itineraries commencing in any destination in Africa, the piece concept applies. Customers beginning their journey in Africa are allowed two bags of up to 23kg each in Economy Class, and two bags of up to 32kg each in First Class or Business Class. This will apply regardless of the country in which the ticket was purchased. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

For tickets issued before 15 April 2016

The baggage allowance for passengers with tickets issued before this date on journeys originating in Africa will continue to be based on the weight concept. This applies regardless of the date of travel. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

I travelled on Emirates on 12 May'16 to Dubai and Rijadh with my bike box and had no issue as my total weight were within the limits.

Returning end of month and hoping not to have any issues.

Emirates has effectively banned all athletes from travelling overseas on their airline and I am sure 

I dont understand this? Maybe we should tweet this to them for their opinion.