Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

I travelled on Emirates to Milan with a bike recently and did not have any issues. 

Has the 300cm rule changed since April 2016?

If one is going to travel with two bags, I can see there will be an issue as the total dimensions will exceed 300cm, but I had one box of 28 kgs, a standard Giant card board box, with my bike and then clothes, helmet and shoes in a bag in the box. Got it wrapped at the airport in plastic. All in all, no issue. 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I travelled on Emirates to Milan with a bike recently and did not have any issues. 

Has the 300cm rule changed since April 2016?

If one is going to travel with two bags, I can see there will be an issue as the total dimensions will exceed 300cm, but I had one box of 28 kgs, a standard Giant card board box, with my bike and then clothes, helmet and shoes in a bag in the box. Got it wrapped at the airport in plastic. All in all, no issue. 

Way to go

cannot find any changes effective from april 2016. only 2014.

flew inbound on emirates on 1st april with hardshell bike box (BIKESAFE) and bike and had no problems. total weight of bike box and bikewas under 23kgs and had an additional suitcase which was 9kgs.

Edited by alex rim

Please share this very urgent warning to all South African athletes, especially cyclists. After the trauma I have experienced in the past 24hrs, I hope no one else falls into this trap.

If you intend to travel overseas with your bicycle, or any other sporting equipment of a similar size (surfing, wind surfing, paragliding etc). Please please PLEASE don't book your flights with Emirates!!!!!

You will regret it as much as I am doing now when you pitch up at the airport with your bike bag/box and get slapped with a $500 US (R7500) charge to have your bike on the plane.

Emirates advertises a new baggage policy (effective April 2016), with an impressive 2x 23kg pieces of luggage per traveller when flying from/to Africa. What is hidden in the fine-print however, is that they limit the size of these pieces to nothing bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

You try fitting a bike, kit, clothes and everything else you need to compete overseas with, into 2 suitcase....in fact, just try fitting a bicycle into that space.

Emirates has effectively banned all athletes from travelling overseas on their airline and I am sure there are a lot of people who's travels and plans are going to be horribly ruined in the near future.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHARE!!!

Thx for heads-up.

To get a full picture what bike box were you using? Was it a hard one? How heavy and what other luggage did you have ?

Thx for heads-up.

To get a full picture what bike box were you using? Was it a hard one? How heavy and what other luggage did you have ?

Your questions are the key. I'll bet a few 600 point disco TCX files we only heard half the story about total volume and total weight.

Not travelled with them recently, but used them a lot when in the Middle East when traveling to various races, both with a hard bike box and prior to that a soft case. Never had a single issue. Maybe just lucky at the time, but overall weight was always within the baggage allowance, which was 30kgs in economy at that time. Never arranged anything in advance either.

When I've flown with bikes I've always checked the sporting goods T's & C's before booking.  Emitates and Quatar haven't had a free sporting goods allowance when I've been wanting to fly, so I've not used them when traveling with sporting goods (which is a pity since I like both airlines and have enjoyed flying with them in the past)

I'v had no issues though using SAA, BA and Virgin - all gave me free sporting goods allowance in addition to my normal luggage.  Happy days.

To the OP - it's not really Emirates fault if you don't read the T's & C's...  :blink:

We're flying with Lufthansa to Geneva in August and they charge EUR100 per bike in each direction.

Airlines do have differing rules depending on weight and size of baggage as well as where flight originates and lands.

So far the best seems to be Qatar as their baggage rules state:
30kg and a maximum dimension of 300cm (118in) for economy class

• Maximum dimension = length + width + height

Qatar Airways accepts any sporting equipment as checked baggage as part of the passenger's free checked baggage allowance mentioned on the ticket.

Any sporting equipment which exceeds the free allowance will be subject to excess baggage rates.

Bicycles may be carried as checked baggage or cargo. They must be properly packed in a strong purpose-made cardboard box. Tyres should be deflated, pedals removed, and handlebars turned and fixed lengthways.

So from my understanding as long as your box does not exceed 45kgs and the max dimension there will be no additional charge. You'd probably have to pack all your clothes etc. into your bike box or your hand luggage

cannot find any changes effective from april 2016. only 2014.

flew inbound on emirates on 1st april with hardshell bike box (BIKESAFE) and bike and had no problems. total weight of bike box and bikewas under 23kgs and had an additional suitcase which was 9kgs.

They sent out emails to the effect - changes as stated in post #14 - they possibly haven't updated their site - which would be shoddy - but it seems a case of standard excess baggage which is a bitter pill to swallow.

I had to pay on Kenya Airways - was 180 dollars I think - there or there about.

They had a 2 piece luggage rule as well, but quite specifically state that bicycles are a special price and cost extra. My first piece of luggage was my normal suitcase, second was my Kickr in the box.... so I was pretty happy that they accepted that with no charge. A colleague on SAA got his bike flown for free even though they had a 1 piece luggage policy. (both trips Jhb - Nairobi)

Then flying Ethiopian to Jhb from China via Addis Ababa (plus another China internal flight), I had a wheel-box with 4 wheels in which they were happy to treat as a second piece of luggage.

I guess it's just about knowing the baggage allowances for your flight, so great information re using Emirates when flying with a bike.

Qatar Airways:

"Sporting equipment

Qatar Airways accepts any sporting equipment as checked baggage as part of the passenger's free checked baggage allowance mentioned on the ticket.

Any sporting equipment which exceeds the free allowance will be subject to excess baggage rates.

Bicycles may be carried as checked baggage or cargo. They must be properly packed in a strong purpose-made cardboard box. Tyres should be deflated, pedals removed, and handlebars turned and fixed lengthways"

Flights from Africa - 45kg (99lb) and a maximum dimension of 300cm (118in)*

*For bookings made from 18th April, 2016 onwards. Prior bookings for flights originating from Africa have a checked baggage allowance of 50kg (110lb) for First Class, 40kg (88lb) for Business Class and 30kg (66lb) for Economy Class.  

• Maximum dimension = length + width + height
  • Baggage allowances may vary according to route and cabin class. Please check the exact baggage regulations printed on your ticket.
  • Excess baggage charges may apply if you exceed the weight and/or piece allowances. Contact your local Qatar Airways office for more information.
  • A single piece of checked baggage must not weigh more than 32kg (70lb). Any bags weighing more than 32kg (70lb) must be broken down such that each piece weighs less than 32kg (70lb).

There are different baggage limits according to route so always look for that with your airline.

Edit...another thing to watch for is CODESHARING! Beware of this one as you may get a charge when you change carriers on your trip

Edit: Linear Dimensions = length + width + height...max must be 300cm...a typical bike bag (I have a PROBIKE Mega @ 253cm) should be less this this.

Edited by capediver

Flown Emirates twice this year in and out of SA with no issues. Just made sure my bike in box weighed less than 23 kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi, I just returned from doing Challenge Venice and traveled with a TT bike in a polaris bike  box... did not have to pay a cent. there was something to do with the dimensions of the box... my bike box was within those.. you may want to check that.

Slight hijack - has anyone experienced any damage to their bike while flying emerates?

Need to fly in late August (durban, bubai to brisbane)

Thanks