Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Slight hijack - has anyone experienced any damage to their bike while flying emerates?

Need to fly in late August (durban, bubai to brisbane)

Thanks

Nope, flown many times on Emirates with my bike in a HARD case and never a problem.

They've lost my luggage on 2 occasions and I'm still waiting for the $ or the bag, but my bike has always been fine.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that OP post reminds me a bit of one of those Facebook posts along the lines of "IF YOU DON'T SHARE THIS WITH 100 FRIENDS......"

too thick on drama and too thin on facts to take seriously.

#justsaying

It seems Emirates have in fact changed their luggage policy for flights booked after April 2016. I checked their site last night on my phone. Their weight allowance has gone up to 2x23kg but the dimensions are 150cm. LxWxH. That's a major problem for cyclists. A bike box will be close to 300cm.

I tried to check again this morning and couldn't find the link so go figure.

Like others have said I've traveled multiple times on Emirates and never had a problem. But that's not to say you won't HAVE a problem going forward.

If in doubt phone the airline and get confirmation in writing. Your travel agent is just going to copy and paste the terms and conditions from the website. 

Not really related but for interest. In my younger days I loaded baggage at Gatwick airport. And let me tell you I have seen some blokes at the loading bay trying out some nice Bikes :whistling:. Problem is that you don't want to wait too long before you check it in cause they might tell you its full but you don't want to check it in to early as then it spends ages at the back there........ 

At the end of the day, after reading all of this I came to the conclusion that all the time, Weight Weenies got it spot on!

The issue on Emirates isn't weight it's dimension. 46kg is pretty generous. 150cm however is not.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It seems Emirates have in fact changed their luggage policy for flights booked after April 2016. I checked their site last night on my phone. Their weight allowance has gone up to 2x23kg but the dimensions are 150cm. LxWxH. That's a major problem for cyclists. A bike box will be close to 300cm.

I tried to check again this morning and couldn't find the link so go figure.

Like others have said I've traveled multiple times on Emirates and never had a problem. But that's not to say you won't HAVE a problem going forward.

If in doubt phone the airline and get confirmation in writing. Your travel agent is just going to copy and paste the terms and conditions from the website. 

What kind of bike box is 3m?All the boxes I know including my own are within those limitations.

Such a shame.

When I used them in September, they were happy to take a slightly overweight Evoc bike bag. Both ways.

This evoc bike bag... Is that perhaps my one that you still haven't returned? Plus a case of monster rehab cans you promised?

I travel on emirates all the time and it's seldom WITHOUT my bike. Never had a problem.

As long as you're within the 30kg allowance a bike box and check in suitcase is allowed. Most of the time I'm over 30kg and I get away with it.

These days I often get questions like. Is this a bike? You have any CO2 bombs in there? Did you deflate the tyres? They know what's cooking so I'm surprised about your experience.

What kind of bike box is 3m?All the boxes I know including my own are within those limitations.

length+width+height.

Just another reason to not route through the sandpit to get anywhere.  Never understood the appeal.

Just another reason to not route through the sandpit to get anywhere.  Never understood the appeal.

agreed the place is a sh  it hole, but they are often the cheapest.