Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, was thinking of using them to fly back from the UK next year and bringing my road bike back with me.

Seems like I'll be flying with one of the other airlines then.

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/3138254/what-is-the-baggage-policy-for-africa

Looks like Emirates just lost a lot of customers. It's way, way cheaper (and more convenient) to fly to Europe now on one of the European airlines if you factor in the extra $500 you will be paying for your bike. I think AirFrance was $150 extra for a bike. That's almost as much as a whole extra ticket on some routes.

I wonder what the thinking was behind the change in policy?

Oh dear, was thinking of using them to fly back from the UK next year and bringing my road bike back with me.

Seems like I'll be flying with one of the other airlines then.

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/3138254/what-is-the-baggage-policy-for-africa

If you check down a couple of points, sporting equipment, you'll find what I've copied below.

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

Again, I have nada to do with Emirates, but I have used them many, many times.

Help Centre

Baggage allowances for sports equipment

All sporting equipment including golf equipment, bicycles and ski equipment 

Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance.

Weight Concept

For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014, Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight. There are no exceptions to this rule.

For tickets issued prior to 15th November 2014 items beyond 300cm (118 inches) and up to 400cm (157 inches) in length may be accepted in exceptional cases. Please contact your local Emirates office for details at least seven working days prior to travelling with such items. Items exceeding this limit must be referred to Emirates SkyCargo. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

Edited by HeyYou

PS

My bike box, the one that's travelled many times, is 125 x 75 x 30 = 230

Edited by HeyYou

Just got off the phone with emirates, spoke to one of their technical advisers

Bicycles would carry an extra fee of U$D 250 per journey for any of your baggage that is either more than 23kg or larger than 150cm (L+W+H)

for example you would pay U$D 500 if your bicycle box weighs less than 23kg but more than 150cm for return flight DBN to LHR

if your box weight more than 23kg and is larger than 150cm you'd then need to pay U$D 1000  :thumbdown:

PS

My bike box, the one that's travelled many times, is 125 x 75 x 30 = 230

I can't argue with that, but that's not what the website says!!!!

I'm still not sure, but if that's the story

Fark Emiates

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk

They kept taking about the piece concept, which has the following stated on their website under the sporting goods section.

http://www.emirates.com/za/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

Piece Concept

For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014
Total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches). Customers with individual items exceeding above dimensions up to 300cm (118 inches) will be charged an additional fee. Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight.

For customers with two pieces of luggage in all three classes, the total combined dimensions of both pieces should not exceed 300cm (118 inches).

I can't argue with that, but that's not what the website says!!!!

I'm still not sure, but if that's the story

Fark Emiates

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk

They kept taking about the piece concept, which has the following stated on their website under the sporting goods section.

http://www.emirates.com/za/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

I THINK THE KEY SENTENCE, HIGHLIGHTED BELOW:

Piece Concept

For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014

Total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches). Customers with individual items exceeding above dimensions up to 300cm (118 inches) will be charged an additional fee. Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight.

For customers with two pieces of luggage in all three classes, the total combined dimensions of both pieces should not exceed 300cm (118 inches).

I was going to bring my MTB to Spain with me on Emerates but I couldn't work out whether it would be ok or not. We didn't have 500 bucks to blow if I got it wrong (R500 would have been easy!) and I have been known to get things wrong in the past "occasionally" . . . so it went in the container.

Can't you send your bike separately with air cargo or some cheaper courier method?

Granted you may have to wait a day or 2 for it to catch up with you.

Dropped two guys off with bikes last week  -  flew to Spain on Emirates.

Had no issues.

Did they travel with two pieces of baggage ( baggage and bike) or one piece of baggage (clothing inside of the bike box)?

I'm trying to figure out how to fit a bike into two 150cm pieces.

I saw a public pic of the OP's bike box thingie

Somewhere in Hubland, I think

I reckon it was overweight or oversized ????

Dropped two guys off with bikes last week  -  flew to Spain on Emirates.

Had no issues.

Any idea when they booked their flights? I think the rule change only applies to tickets bought after they changed the rules, which was a couple of months back.

I'll be looking into this properly once we get closer to opening our business - so that I can offer some advice to people flying to Spain.