Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Any idea when they booked their flights? I think the rule change only applies to tickets bought after they changed the rules, which was a couple of months back.

About a month or so ago. Definitely not more than two. 

Did they travel with two pieces of baggage ( baggage and bike) or one piece of baggage (clothing inside of the bike box)?

I'm trying to figure out how to fit a bike into two 150cm pieces.

Bike bag and two small bags (day packs - ie small ruck sack and a bag that fits in the overhead compartment).  He sometimes gets to take both bags on the plane, but normally the bike bag and a small rucksack goes into the hold.  He travels fairly light (clothes) as the bike and tools can be heavy.   The other guy's bike bag was slightly bigger and he also had all his camera equipment.  Seemed to be OK.  I'll get dimensions if you want.  They should be back in comms in a few days.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikes are a hassle for the airlines. They are heavy, they require extra effort and staff to load, have a habit of not showing up at their destination and breakages cost big $. I can totally understand why an airline like Emirates would make it more difficult to travel with a bike. The size of a bike box means that it has to be checked in separately. That's a hassle that maybe the airline could do without.

I Speak under correction but as far as I know the following rules apply for the following airlines. This is from personal experience and stuff that I've gleamed from the various websites and travel agents. I've done 5 euro trips with bikes and will be doing my 6th in September. I've also been involved in the booking of well over 40 tickets for others so I consider myself reasonably clued up on this. The golden rule when travelling with a bike tho is to make 100% sure UP FRONT before you book your ticket. Whether these rules are enforced is a whole other argument.

• Emirates. Tends to be cheap. 2*23kg but the 150cm rule applies.
  • Qatar. Tends to be cheap. Still has a 30kg 300cm policy.
  • Etihad.Tends to be cheap. is 30kg 300cm
  • Turkish - 60 Euro per bike each way
  • Swiss is 150 Euro each way AND they provide you with a bike box.
  • BA. 35 Pounds gives you an extra 23kg. Not sure of the dimension requirements. And if you're a saffer you'll need to get a transit visa for Heathrow. Ballache.
  • SAA. Pft!
Edited by Duane_Bosch

Cheaper?

Never been significant enough to warrant the time / schedule of flights / longer transits to make it worth while.   With enough planning (I'm even talking a week or two ahead) you can find similar flights without the sand pit route.

Also if you factor a quick bite etc on these routes at the airport etc... that saving becomes even smaller.

If you are planning on flying Emirates with a bike I'd suggest reading the following link.

Turns out the OP is right. Of particular importance is The following.

2 Oversize charge.
Charge in all classes, first 2 pieces (FBA). Each piece of baggage exceeding dimensions 59IN/150CMS but less than 118IN/300CMS.

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/3138254/what-is-the-baggage-policy-for-africa

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Anyone have any experience flying with a bike on Qatar? Flying to the states next month and when I called they said a bike is fine, but the woman sounded pretty unsure about the whole thing. Qatar seems to have a similar policy to Emirates about two checked bags not exceeding certain dimensions, which obviously a bike box will not fit into.

Not really related but for interest. In my younger days I loaded baggage at Gatwick airport. And let me tell you I have seen some blokes at the loading bay trying out some nice Bikes :whistling:. Problem is that you don't want to wait too long before you check it in cause they might tell you its full but you don't want to check it in to early as then it spends ages at the back there........ 

Yip can vouch for that, but now it has to be boxed. loaded a few euro profi's bikes, cancelara, ullrich,kloden....at ZHR

Anyone have any experience flying with a bike on Qatar? Flying to the states next month and when I called they said a bike is fine, but the woman sounded pretty unsure about the whole thing. Qatar seems to have a similar policy to Emirates about two checked bags not exceeding certain dimensions, which obviously a bike box will not fit into.

No. Qatar is 30kg and 300cm.

Flights from Africa   45kg (99lb) and a maximum dimension of 300cm (118in)*

A boxed (cardboard box) DH bike is around 22kg Then you chuck in all your extras. The dimensions of the box should not exceed 300cm.

Until recently I used to answer the phone for Swiss and I booked loads of bikes. It counts as Sports Equipment and it could turn out nasty when it's not booked in advance and you for example have no free baggage allowance to begin with. Most get away with just the 'BIKE' fee of max CHF120. Emirates isn't the most friendly airline when it comes to 'SPEQ.' On CPT I once saw their handling agent charge a girl $1200 for her kite surf gear. Always know who will be checking you in at the airport. Handling agents can be quite hardcore on the airliner's luggage guidelines. 

Phew, a bit melodramatic!

I thought you might have been arrested for trying to conceal a bomb in your saddlebag <_<

Just got this from Qatar airways support people:

http://www.qatarairways.com/iwov-resources/temp-docs/baggage/excess-baggage-sports-equipment.pdf

So it seems like Qatar also has pretty high prices for flying with a bike :thumbdown:

Ja that's if you EXCEED your 30kg limit.

The Standard limit is 30kg 300cm See below and look at flights out of Africa.

http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/baggage.page

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Ja that's if you EXCEED your 30kg limit.

The Standard limit is 30kg 300cm See below and look at flights out of Africa.

http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/baggage.page

The way I interpret Qatar when traveling from Africa:

If you booked POST 18 April16 then you have a total weight allowance of 45kg.

Obviously you are allowed more than one piece of luggage due following statement:

"A single piece of checked baggage must not weigh more than 32kg (70lb). Any bags weighing more than 32kg (70lb) must be broken down such that each piece weighs less than 32kg"

What I cannot quite figure out is if the 300cm rule is per bag or combined size of all bags. I'll send em an email to try and confirm this and provide feedback.

Either way, my regular Emirates flight choice just gave way to Qatar.

The way I interpret Qatar when traveling from Africa:

If you booked POST 18 April16 then you have a total weight allowance of 45kg.

Obviously you are allowed more than one piece of luggage due following statement:

"A single piece of checked baggage must not weigh more than 32kg (70lb). Any bags weighing more than 32kg (70lb) must be broken down such that each piece weighs less than 32kg"

What I cannot quite figure out is if the 300cm rule is per bag or combined size of all bags. I'll send em an email to try and confirm this and provide feedback.

Either way, my regular Emirates flight choice just gave way to Qatar.

Ja I'm in the same boat. My default choice has always been Emirates. I booked flights for my Fiance and I to Geneva in Sept last month. LUCKILY Qatar was the cheapest as I was unaware of the new Emirates rule. 

The 300cm rule is length+height+width of your bike box. 

FWIW, I flew Qantas with my bike and only got charged R600 for being a few kilos over. Just had to tick a box that I was bringing a bike box prior to getting to airport.