Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Ja I'm in the same boat. My default choice has always been Emirates. I booked flights for my Fiance and I to Geneva in Sept last month. LUCKILY Qatar was the cheapest as I was unaware of the new Emirates rule. 

The 300cm rule is length+height+width of your bike box.

Cool. So you have confirmation that multiple piece of luggage, EACH not exceeding 300cm, can be loaded? In other words I can load a bike box of max 32kgs / 300cm plus a regular suitcase (weighing 45kg - bike box weight) when traveling from Africa.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fair to say the OP got it all wrong with his baggage weight and has a little dummy spit and used this forum to hit out at the airline. Despite a number of questions he has not bothered to reply.

In response to Old School Rookie, limit is 2 bags not exceeding 150cm or 32kg each. If you go over this you pay excess baggage. A bike box not exceeding 300cm with cost you US$ 175. If they want to charge you. If not, it's free.

I think it's fair to say the OP got it all wrong with his baggage weight and has a little dummy spit and used this forum to hit out at the airline. Despite a number of questions he has not bothered to reply.

In response to Old School Rookie, limit is 2 bags not exceeding 150cm or 32kg each. If you go over this you pay excess baggage. A bike box not exceeding 300cm with cost you US$ 175. If they want to charge you. If not, it's free.

Sigh.

The OP is racing TP in Europe so he won't be responding. Also he is quite correct in that Emirates's limits have changed to 150cm.

Your response to Old School Rookie is incorrect. He is flying Qatar. Their limit is 300cm. You should try making sure of your facts.

BTW. the 32kg limit is a health & safety issue in that ANY single piece of luggage must not exceed 32kg.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Cool. So you have confirmation that multiple piece of luggage, EACH not exceeding 300cm, can be loaded? In other words I can load a bike box of max 32kgs / 300cm plus a regular suitcase (weighing 45kg - bike box weight) when traveling from Africa.

No your TOTAL weight must not exceed 45kg.

Your boxed bike won't weigh 32kg. The 32kg limit is to due with health & safety. Not unless you have a hardshell case and a heavy bike. 45kg is a lot of baggage.

No your TOTAL weight must not exceed 45kg.

Your boxed bike won't weigh 32kg. The 32kg limit is to due with health & safety. Not unless you have a hardshell case and a heavy bike. 45kg is a lot of baggage.

Ja thats what I meant: Suitcase weight equals 45kgs minus bikebox weight.

45kg a lot yes, but biltong is heavy Boet and where I cycle your bike needs armor plating ;)

Flying with Emirates on Monday, hand luggage 5kg, suitcase 19kg and bike 11kg. Hand luggage and suitcase are within baggage weight and dimension limits. Bike is within weight limit but exceeds dimensions and measures in at 240cm.

Earlier this month some cyclists took their bikes and did not have to pay the additional fee. Will see how it goes on Monday.

Sigh.

The OP is racing TP in Europe so he won't be responding. Also he is quite correct in that Emirates's limits have changed to 150cm.

Your response to Old School Rookie is incorrect. He is flying Qatar. Their limit is 300cm. You should try making sure of your facts.

BTW. the 32kg limit is a health & safety issue in that ANY single piece of luggage must not exceed 32kg.

This is not what Emirate's web site gives. So, unless Emirates have not updated their site, you are wrong!

If you are correct, someone should tell Emirates to update their site!

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk

This is not what Emirate's web site gives. So, unless Emirates have not updated their site, you are wrong!

If you are correct, someone should tell Emirates to update their site!

Wish you were correct. But just had a look at the Emirates site again. It's confusing with various references, but the way I read it still confirms that anything bigger than 150cm will cost extra. You are allowed up to 300cm as checked baggage, but once again, it will cost extra. Check attachments. post-18345-0-77880800-1466930450_thumb.jpegpost-18345-0-64068200-1466930468_thumb.jpeg

Please share this very urgent warning to all South African athletes, especially cyclists. After the trauma I have experienced in the past 24hrs, I hope no one else falls into this trap.

If you intend to travel overseas with your bicycle, or any other sporting equipment of a similar size (surfing, wind surfing, paragliding etc). Please please PLEASE don't book your flights with Emirates!!!!!

You will regret it as much as I am doing now when you pitch up at the airport with your bike bag/box and get slapped with a $500 US (R7500) charge to have your bike on the plane.

Emirates advertises a new baggage policy (effective April 2016), with an impressive 2x 23kg pieces of luggage per traveller when flying from/to Africa. What is hidden in the fine-print however, is that they limit the size of these pieces to nothing bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

You try fitting a bike, kit, clothes and everything else you need to compete overseas with, into 2 suitcase....in fact, just try fitting a bicycle into that space.

Emirates has effectively banned all athletes from travelling overseas on their airline and I am sure there are a lot of people who's travels and plans are going to be horribly ruined in the near future.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHARE!!!

Thanks so much for this report!!!!

We were looking at booking with this carrier as we are part of the SA Track team that is going to ride the World Track Champs in Manchester. As you pointed out especially with the 23kg + 23kg offer they have Emirates looked like a very good prospect!

Once again thanks for warning us.

Do they actually sit and measure all the baggage with a tape measure?

I found a case that's 160cm in total which I am planning on using for my frame.

Do they actually sit and measure all the baggage with a tape measure?

I found a case that's 160cm in total which I am planning on using for my frame.

Modern scanners gives an instant Dimension and volume indication.

Wish you were correct. But just had a look at the Emirates site again. It's confusing with various references, but the way I read it still confirms that anything bigger than 150cm will cost extra. You are allowed up to 300cm as checked baggage, but once again, it will cost extra. Check attachments. attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Posted this a couple of pages back, but it's directly off the Emirates web site.

Notice that it says any sporting equipment LARGER than 300 cm in total will not be accepted as checked baggage. Nowhere does it say anything about 150 cm. 

Baggage allowances for sports equipment

All sporting equipment including golf equipment, bicycles and ski equipment 

Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance.

Weight Concept

For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014, Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight. There are no exceptions to this rule.

For tickets issued prior to 15th November 2014 items beyond 300cm (118 inches) and up to 400cm (157 inches) in length may be accepted in exceptional cases. Please contact your local Emirates office for details at least seven working days prior to travelling with such items. Items exceeding this limit must be referred to Emirates SkyCargo. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

Posted this a couple of pages back, but it's directly off the Emirates web site.

Notice that it says any sporting equipment LARGER than 300 cm in total will not be accepted as checked baggage. Nowhere does it say anything about 150 cm. 

Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance.

Weight Concept

For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014, Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight. There are no exceptions to this rule.

For tickets issued prior to 15th November 2014 items beyond 300cm (118 inches) and up to 400cm (157 inches) in length may be accepted in exceptional cases. Please contact your local Emirates office for details at least seven working days prior to travelling with such items. Items exceeding this limit must be referred to Emirates SkyCargo. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

look at the link. I truly wish I was wrong.

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/3138254/what-is-the-baggage-policy-for-africa

Edited by Duane_Bosch

if you read a little further down the page they state that any bagage over 150cm will be charged extra 

http://www.emirates.com/za/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

Piece Concept

For tickets issued on or after 15th November 2014
Total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches). Customers with individual items exceeding above dimensions up to 300cm (118 inches) will be charged an additional fee. Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight.

Weight Concept

Weight Concept

Yes but you are going to PAY extra for anything larger than 150cm. So if you're a high roller go ahead.

Yes but you are going to PAY extra for anything larger than 150cm. So if you're a high roller go ahead.

That's not what it says, it CLEARLY says AS PART OF YOUR CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE!!!!!!