Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Thanks so much for this report!!!!

We were looking at booking with this carrier as we are part of the SA Track team that is going to ride the World Track Champs in Manchester. As you pointed out especially with the 23kg + 23kg offer they have Emirates looked like a very good prospect!

Once again thanks for warning us.

I have sent Qatar airways a detailed request to confirm their policy. Which would apear to be as follows:

"The way I interpret your baggage allowance is that I am allowed more than one piece of checked baggage, as long as each individual piece of baggage does not exceed:

300cm size per bag,

32kg weight per bag,

All bags together maximum weight of 45kg"

I'm waiting with baited breath for a confirmation.

Will provide feedback on here once received.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what it says, it CLEARLY says AS PART OF YOUR CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE!!!!!!

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk

..............on condition that it's smaller than 150cm......... (In whispery lower case)

..............on condition that it's smaller than 150cm......... (In whispery lower case)

Oh well, can't make folks understand what they can't read!

Dude we not trying to pick a fight with you, me and old school rookie are simply stating what is on their website. 

again I say to you follow this link read it for yourself. if you still dont believe it, give emirates a call and I'm sure they would be able to clear things up for you.

http://www.emirates.com/za/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

Tel: 0860 123 155

the above link is their SPORTS EQUIPMENT!!!!! page and bagage rules.

But not for SPORTS EQUIPMENT!!!!

I searched the Emirates website to prove you all wrong, but you are correct.

The salient part is here and is where the confusion arises, now it's as clear as mud!!! This says that any African journey is now based on the PIECE concept, as from April 15th. So one has to use the PIECE rules now!!

Apologies to anyone I offended.

Sucks to Emirates for hiding it so well.

What is the baggage policy for Africa?

For tickets issued on or after 15 April 2016 
For itineraries commencing in any destination in Africa, the piece concept applies. Customers beginning their journey in Africa are allowed two bags of up to 23kg each in Economy Class, and two bags of up to 32kg each in First Class or Business Class. This will apply regardless of the country in which the ticket was purchased. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

PS: I'm in Europe at the moment, flew over on EGYPT AIR 46 kg per person and a bike box up to 300 cm!!!!!

No hassles, if the return aircraft stays in the sky!!!!

I searched the Emirates website to prove you all wrong, but you are correct.

The salient part is here and is where the confusion arises, now it's as clear as mud!!! This says that any African journey is now based on the PIECE concept, as from April 15th. So one has to use the PIECE rules now!!

Apologies to anyone I offended.

Sucks to Emirates for hiding it so well.

What is the baggage policy for Africa?

For tickets issued on or after 15 April 2016 

For itineraries commencing in any destination in Africa, the piece concept applies. Customers beginning their journey in Africa are allowed two bags of up to 23kg each in Economy Class, and two bags of up to 32kg each in First Class or Business Class. This will apply regardless of the country in which the ticket was purchased. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

Ja. The emirates site is NOT clear at all IMO 

Fuuuuuuuuuuu## I booked with emirates. The stupid lady nikita at pentravel still hasnt gotten back to me yet. I had my bike bag made and everything

Another little shocker warning for my fellow expat Hubbers:

Be wary of airlines with the extra baggage allowance when "traveling from Africa"

I am booked on a return flight from the Sandpit to SA. The first leg stated 30kg which I accepted as correct, but the return leg also quoted 30kg which I accepted as a typo of sorts. When queried the 'wrong' weight on the return ticket I was advised that I'm only entitled to 30kg as the bookings first point of origin is not SA and thus only entitles me to 30kg, including the leg in which I'd be "traveling from Africa"

Admittedly, had I read further on I would have discovered this sneaky little technicality and could have made two separate bookings at basically the same price in order to get the 45kg on the African departure leg.

I'll probably be able to get it sorted with copious amounts of groveling, but yet another example of the hidden pitfalls common folk like myself are subjected to.

Edited by Old School Rookie

Sneaky. Emirates will let you take 2 bags @23kg each totaling 46kg out of Africa, but when you return from a country outside of Africa you are only allowed 30kg total checked baggage (economy). Each additional kg costs 55 Euro.

post-45647-0-67639400-1467054391_thumb.jpg

Edited by bunkermonkey

and then there is more nonsense if you then fly on to north America

I was going to do a Dubai stop over because I like emirates

but now ive read this  I think ill fly with someone else from now on

emirates :thumbdown:

Would be interesting to know how EK explain this change but I suspect it has something to do with the bike boxes having to be loaded separately. Airports baggage infrastructure can't load those cases through the conveyor system but surely we are not the only ones.

55 Euro a kilo can buy some seriously good cocaine.

No additional luggage fee for Monday flight on Emirates to Germany with a checked luggage wieght of 35kg (suitcase 20kg and bike box plus extra bike spares 15kg). Bike box was greater than 150cm but less than 300cm.

Will need to loose 5kg of luggage when returning South Africa to have a checked luggage wieght of 30kg to avoid the 55 Euro per Kg overweight fee.