Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

This post got a bit more people talking that I expected.

Here's an update from my trip:

Flying out of SA, I had a bag @ 23kg and my bike box @23kg which was larger than 150cm but smaller than 300cm.

They didn't say anything and didn't charge me extra. I suspected the new rule is so new they haven't started enforcing it yet.

Flying back to SA from Nice in France I didn't want to take any chances and didn't have money to pay the expected $250 fine so I threw a lot of stuff away (tires, supplements, wasted shoes etc). Had 35kg of luggage (bike box @20kg and bag @15kg). I expected to be fined but they let me through. The lady at the kiosk did um-and-ah a bit before letting me through though. She did measure my bike box to make sure it was smaller than 300cm.

I think I got lucky, or maybe they're not enforcing the new rules too strictly yet. Either way, I'll be reading the fineprint more closely next time

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Emirates office yesterday to inform them of my baggage and got an endorsed ticket.

They said the main issue is the 23kg, the new rule is in place because of the unions. Apparently it's inhumane for ppl to carry baggage over 23kg thus the new rule.

They told me that bikes and sporting goods still fall under the old rule of 300cm, no extra charges unless over 23kg and 300cm. I did pre arrange this for my trip just to be safe so they are aware that we will be taking bikes on our trip.

So this means that emirates allows me to take my bike bag 300cm/23kg as well as another case of 150cm/23kg as free check in, then also a carry on of 7kg.

I was at the Emirates office yesterday to inform them of my baggage and got an endorsed ticket.

They said the main issue is the 23kg, the new rule is in place because of the unions. Apparently it's inhumane for ppl to carry baggage over 23kg thus the new rule.

They told me that bikes and sporting goods still fall under the old rule of 300cm, no extra charges unless over 23kg and 300cm. I did pre arrange this for my trip just to be safe so they are aware that we will be taking bikes on our trip.

So this means that emirates allows me to take my bike bag 300cm/23kg as well as another case of 150cm/23kg as free check in, then also a carry on of 7kg.

How do people come up with this?

How do people come up with this?

Standard industrial setup.

In RSA it is 25kg. Was 30kg some time ago then to 25kg and some even go down to 20kg.

So anything you handle by hand cannot be heavier than that.

I fly usually once or twice a year with my bike bag and here is what I have found-

Emirates good luck, you will pay,

went over for Trans Hajar mtb race a few years back and it was issues, ended up paying a large amount.

Since then have always flown SAA, you get 23kg luggage and then for sporting goods 23kg for a bike, there are size restrictions but your usual bike box fits in easily, all of which at no extra cost, my 2c is SAA is actually worth it if you travelling with a bike.

My most recent flight was to Zambia a few weeks back on SAA and everything went smooth.

And remember you can never pad your bike up enough in it's box/bag, they don't love your bike as much as you do...

Edited by dave303e

Just to clarify, It's not deemed inhumane for ppl (passengers) to carry baggage over 23kg (you can carry pretty well as much as you like) - but it IS deemed unacceptable for ppl (baggage handlers) to have to man-handle baggage over 23kg in the course of their job.

The number is about the same all over the world. 

Baggage Handlers - they don't make 'em like they used to . . . .

I travelled on Emirates on 12 May'16 to Dubai and Rijadh with my bike box and had no issue as my total weight were within the limits.

Returning end of month and hoping not to have any issues.

Update: Riyadh airport (King Kalid International) do not allow any large parcels (including bike boxes) through the airport after recent terror attacks in Saudi. Be warned!!

I have just returned from Europe now and flew Emirates to Barcelona and then drove to France - back to Barcelona and flew to Mallorca and then Back to Cape Town with Emirates.

Just some info:

Never paid any additional costs when booking the tickets for bicycles.

Flew economy there and Business back.

My wife travelled with and luggage was the following there:

2 Evoc bike bags 17kg and 21kg each in weight

2 x roller cases in the form of 1 x Oakley 45L roller bag 22"h x 14"w x 9-1/2"d and 1 x Oakley 92L 32.5"h x 16.5"w x 14"d

Both bags together weighed just over 32kg.

On our return after buying random stuff i.e.: half of Mango, Zara, Massimo Ducci, H&M and whatever else was on sale in Barcelona our 2 x luggage bags combined was 37kg.

At no time were we asked to pay for bikes extra on any of the flights except Vuelling airlines to Mallorca - we did know about this when we booked and was 45 Euro extra each way per bike although they let 1 bike go free on the flight to Mallorca. 
Vuelling is like Mango / Kulula etc.

I did ask at random about this at Emirates check ins and no one really knew about it from or to SA.

Last 3 years I have flown overseas with a bike on Emirates and have never had a issue with bicycles by paying extra.

My 2c and experience.

i.e.: half of Mango, Zara, Massimo Ducci, H&M and whatever else was on sale in Barcelona our 2 x luggage bags combined was 37kg

I'm guessing that wasn't you . . . ;-)

i.e.: half of Mango, Zara, Massimo Ducci, H&M and whatever else was on sale in Barcelona our 2 x luggage bags combined was 37kg

hahaha, some of it, not all, but some. stuff is cheeeeeep in BCN. 

There are Zara & Mango shops in all the malls here and, so I'm told by Wendy, they are too good a deal to miss. Luckily we live in the country and we don't go to the malls much!

There are Zara & Mango shops in all the malls here and, so I'm told by Wendy, they are too good a deal to miss. Luckily we live in the country and we don't go to the malls much!

We little off topic here but the prices you see here in those shops are significantly more than Barcelona and I do mean a good amount more and variety is also more. Also stuff here is last season as I discovered last year. 

i.e.: half of Mango, Zara, Massimo Dutti Ducci, H&M and whatever else was on sale in Barcelona our 2 x luggage bags combined was 37kg

One of my favourite stores

We just got back from Italy (via Barcelona) and discovered all the stores are coordinated in having sales (July + January). We came back with 5 pairs of shoes and none of it was for the wife. :blush: :whistling:

We had to buy a cheap Chinese travel case to accommodate the "bargains".

We little off topic here but the prices you see here in those shops are significantly more than Barcelona and I do mean a good amount more and variety is also more. Also stuff here is last season as I discovered last year. 

Totally agree. We are getting ripped off. Europe at least 20% cheaper even when it is not on sale.

Less 20% + Sale Price + VAT return = Bargain

Back to the bikes and planes issue.

Edited by Bianchisti

One of my favourite stores

We just got back from Italy (via Barcelona) and discovered all the stores are coordinated in having sales (July + January). We came back with 5 pairs of shoes and none of it was for the wife. :blush: :whistling:

We had to buy a cheap Chinese travel case to accommodate the "bargains".

Totally agree. We are getting ripped off. Europe at least 20% cheaper even when it is not on sale.

Less 20% + Sale Price + VAT return = Bargain

Back to the bikes and planes issue.

Hahahaha, true story.

Just a little off topic here but I'm gonna be flying emirates soon. Wrt the 2X23kg, can you make up the 46Kg limit with more than 2 bags? I might have 3 or 4 bag with me but they're smaller bags and they wont weigh 23kg each.