Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Just a little off topic here but I'm gonna be flying emirates soon. Wrt the 2X23kg, can you make up the 46Kg limit with more than 2 bags? I might have 3 or 4 bag with me but they're smaller bags and they wont weigh 23kg each.

Emirates work on either a 'weight' or 'piece' concept.

Above depends on where your itinerary commences. So be carefull. Also, airlines such as EK and Qatar have different allowed weights depending on where your flight commenced from. For instance, on Qatar if you book economy from Doha to Johannesburg and back, you will only get 30kg on both legs versus 45kg if you commenced in Johannesburg. (And then the 45kg only valid for the leg from Johannesburg to Doha)

Refer to attached screen print from Emirates website. Suggest you visit the site as there's some additional info too. if you fly out of Africa two pieces seems to be the limit. Then again......simply wrapping two pieces together with protective film will make them one, as long as they don't weight more than 23kg in total.

post-18345-0-37660300-1470306134_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Old School Rookie

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your baggage allowance is dependent on the rules in place when you booked your flight.

I booked in March and flew late August, the 150 rule applied and I had no issues with my bike bag.

Your baggage allowance is dependent on the rules in place when you booked your flight.

I booked in March and flew late August, the 150 rule applied and I had no issues with my bike bag.

Thanks for this.

To confirm, what bike bag/box did you take? Did you tag a 2nd check in bag as per your allowance together with the bike box?

Thanks!

So is there any new info on this?

Has anyone on here flown Emirates with a bike recently? Did the 150cm rule apply?

Spoke to Emirates this morning.  The explanation I got was as follows: 

- up to 150 cm; can check the box in as part of your normal baggage allowance 

- over 150 cm but not exceeding 300 cm; can still check the box in as baggage on your flight, but you will pay 75 dollars per trip (in my case to Zurich) and another 75 dollars coming back.

- over 300 cm; the box must be booked in and transported as freight

Also spoke to Qatar - up to 300 cm you can check the box in as part of your normal baggage allowance free of charge. 

So - after four trips on Emirates I will now become a Qatar client, as the price of the tickets are just about the same on both airlines.

I did Jhb-Dubai-Copenhagen on Emirates recently with a bike box that measured 257cm according to their volume rules.

The call centre said I'd have to pay $250 but I ended up not paying a cent.

Sometimes you get lucky but bank on the $250 as worst case scenario.

Thanks for the tip dirtman! I have Qatar and Emirates as Jhb-Copenhagen options and will definitely use Qatar in future.

guess instead of flying overseas with Emirates Ill rather cycle to my destination

that way i save the R7000 extra for checking my bike in

makes sense to me

Thanks for this.

To confirm, what bike bag/box did you take? Did you tag a 2nd check in bag as per your allowance together with the bike box?

Thanks!

I used a semi rigid bag, wrapped in plastic with numerous fragile stickers all over the bag. No issues at all.

My family had 5 tickets on the plane and checked 14 bags in. Our collective (160 kg) mass was applied so the bikes indervidual mass was irrelevant to the check-in process. Too heavy and you will get a damaged bike as it will be handled rougher.

So - after four trips on Emirates I will now become a Qatar client, as the price of the tickets are just about the same on both airlines.

Yup. Same here. Flew Qatar to Geneva in September. No hassles. And the airport is about 5 million times better than the glorified shopping mall that is Dubai.

Thanks for the heads up.

We're flying with Lufthansa to Geneva in August and they charge EUR100 per bike in each direction.

Airlines do have differing rules depending on weight and size of baggage as well as where flight originates and lands.

So far the best seems to be Qatar as their baggage rules state:

30kg and a maximum dimension of 300cm (118in) for economy class

• Maximum dimension = length + width + height

Qatar Airways accepts any sporting equipment as checked baggage as part of the passenger's free checked baggage allowance mentioned on the ticket.

Any sporting equipment which exceeds the free allowance will be subject to excess baggage rates.

Bicycles may be carried as checked baggage or cargo. They must be properly packed in a strong purpose-made cardboard box. Tyres should be deflated, pedals removed, and handlebars turned and fixed lengthways.

So from my understanding as long as your box does not exceed 45kgs and the max dimension there will be no additional charge. You'd probably have to pack all your clothes etc. into your bike box or your hand luggage

You're right, Qatar is the best. We had no issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this issue? Probably flying with Emirates next week overseas and slightly concerned with my bike bag.

Edited by jamiecanter

Any update on this issue? Probably flying with Emirates next week overseas and slightly concerned with my bike bag.

If you're under the 150cm rule you're fine - if not there is the risk of 200 dollar plus excess baggage fines... The rule is definite - application of the rule is variable.

Kulula ( BA) charged my missus R500 for her bike box being 4kg overweight when flying to NAM

Saa ( airlink I think) charged R1300 flying back to SA from NAM.

Ri effing diculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I are flying to Perth on Emirates. I just wanted to ask- afaik or at least understand is both bags (economy flex) can weigh up to 23kG. If we take our bikes then the accumulative weight still needs to be under 46kg but L+W+h needs to be 150cm. Is that really even possible for a bike bag? Otherwise you pay the additional $175 as long as its under 300cm total.

Edit: my question is is it possible to make a Bike bag 150cm?

Edited by Davedk