Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but the requirements are clearly explained here: https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/3138254/what-is-the-baggage-policy-for-itineraries-beginning-in-africa

2 pieces at 23kg each not exceeding a 150cm dimension.

Which means that if you're willing to use cardboard boxes to save weight, you can potentially get two bikes and gear over without additional charges.

Seems like a good deal to me.

150cm is Length+height+width must not exceed 150cm. A cardboard box comes in at WAAAAAY more than 150cm

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

150cm is Length+height+width must not exceed 150cm. A cardboard box comes in at WAAAAAY more than 150cm

My understanding is that not one dimension must exceed that length. Not the total of all dimensions. Otherwise, you'd struggle to get an unboxed bike on board.

My understanding is that not one dimension must exceed that length. Not the total of all dimensions. Otherwise, you wouldn't even get an unboxed bike on board.

From the site. Bold for your convenience.

Piece concept (for Canada, North America, South America and flights from Africa)

If your journey includes any destinations in Canada, North America or South America, or you are flying from Africa, different baggage rules apply.

The total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches). You’ll be charged an additional fee for any individual items exceeding dimensions of 150cm (59 inches), up to a maximum of 300cm (118 inches). If an individual item has total dimensions greater than 300cm (118 inches), it can’t be checked in as baggage and will need to be sent as cargo or freight.

If you check in two pieces of luggage (in any of our three classes), the total combined dimensions of both pieces should not exceed 300cm (118 inches).

https://www.emirates.com/english/before-you-fly/baggage/checked-baggage.aspx

Edited by Duane_Bosch

From the site. Bold for your convenience.

Piece concept (for Canada, North America, South America and flights from Africa)

If your journey includes any destinations in Canada, North America or South America, or you are flying from Africa, different baggage rules apply.

The total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches). You’ll be charged an additional fee for any individual items exceeding dimensions of 150cm (59 inches), up to a maximum of 300cm (118 inches). If an individual item has total dimensions greater than 300cm (118 inches), it can’t be checked in as baggage and will need to be sent as cargo or freight.

If you check in two pieces of luggage (in any of our three classes), the total combined dimensions of both pieces should not exceed 300cm (118 inches).

Well, I got schooled.

Rad. Where are you going? My fiance and I are taking the roadies to Bassano del Grappa in Oct.

We are going Qatar tho. The airport is lovely and the prices were great. 

If it makes you feel any better I've got mates that have just been on Emirates and they were not hit with any charges.

Even brought a second bike back!

Well, I got schooled.

My intention is not to one up anyone. Just to inform what I know from their site.

Having said all of that I'm yet to meet anyone who has actually been charged the $500. I know about 10 people that have been over this year. Read into that what you will.

@ Rebelking

1. Arrive early

2. Smile sweetly

3. Have all of your docs in order.

You'll be fine.

That has been my experience on a number of occasions with Evoc bags. Perhaps why I assumed the one dimension only.

Now let me go clean out my #fakenews posts.

My intention is not to one up anyone. Just to inform what I know from their site.

Having said all of that I'm yet to meet anyone who has actually been charged the $500. I know about 10 people that have been over this year. Read into that what you will.

@ Rebelking

1. Arrive early

2. Smile sweetly

3. Have all of your docs in order.

You'll be fine.

4. Don't be overweight...the bag that is! :whistling:

Whoops. Too fast on the reply button :-) Question already answered..

Edited by Eldron

Not so sure about that hey. If that was true I would NEVER have booked with Emirates.

They changed the conditions on their website last year around June. That is when the 150cm/piece rule came in to being. Before that it was a 30kg 1 piece limit. The reason for the rule is that they rolled out a new baggage handling plant at the airport and oversized baggage = human intervention.

Having said that I don't know of anyone who's been hit with the charge. But I'm not going to risk being the first.

Edit. That's just from my previous experience and it's more than possible that I'm wrong.

Maybe Always was a bit meladramatic :-)

Definitely since June 2016 as you pointed out.

The luggage allowance is a tough one. It says "30kg" on my booking but the T and Cs still says 2x23kg...

Edit: My latest booking definitely says 30kg - and that is buying the flexi ticket not the cheapie....

Booking info:

Adult

Seat, meal and baggage details for Mr.
ts-flight.png Flights
ts-seat.png Seats ts-meal.png Meals ts-baggage.png Baggage
20 Aug 17
From CPH Copenhagen to DXB Dubai
CPH
ts-arrow.png
DXB
EK152

27J
Change
Change seat for your flight from CPH to DXB. Current seat: [sEATNO]

Emirates meal
Dining menu
Dining menu for your flight from CPH to DXB. Opens in a new tab or window.
included
30kg  
ts-info.pngCannot purchase excess baggage Opens a tooltip
Edited by Eldron

For what it's worth - I flew back from SA in January with 2 bikes in boxes - one on my ticket and one on my fiances - no problems and no charges. Both were bigger than the 150cm rule and juuust under 23kg each.

• 2 weeks later...

Listen up - it was said on here a while back. Basically Emirates works on two concepts - Piece 'concept' or weight 'concept'. What determines which 'concept' is used is where you booked the flights from. Emirates has a different policy for different locations. I am flying UK/DXB/CPT and return. Within the UK Emirates exercises it's weight concept :-

Weight Concept

Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight. There are no exceptions to this rule.

I was worried given I am flying out from SA where Emirates exercises it's Piece Concept :-

Piece Concept

Total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches). Customers with individual items exceeding above dimensions up to 300cm (118 inches) will be charged an additional fee. Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight.

However, what 'concept' you use depends on where your journey started from - thus given I am embarking from the UK where the weight concept is applied this is thus applicable throughout the entire journey.

Hope this helps? So Remember cyclist if you are flying with Emirates make sure before hand that the origin of your journey has the 'weight' concept applied otherwise you might be subject to some hefty charges.

Edited by nomadness

Listen up - it was said on here a while back. Basically Emirates works on two concepts - Piece 'concept' or weight 'concept'. What determines which 'concept' is used is where you booked the flights from. Emirates has a different policy for different locations. I am flying UK/DXB/CPT and return. Within the UK Emirates exercises it's weight concept :-

I was worried given I am flying out from SA where Emirates exercises it's Piece Concept :-

However, what 'concept' you use depends on where your journey started from - thus given I am embarking from the UK where the weight concept is applied this is thus applicable throughout the entire journey.

Hope this helps? So Remember cyclist if you are flying with Emirates make sure before hand that the origin of your journey has the 'weight' concept applied otherwise you might be subject to some hefty charges.

This helps me out thanks! I am flying UK - Dubai - CPT in late September and returning to the UK with my bike. As long as I stay under 30kg I dont need to worry about my bike! I booked tickets two weeks back, and saw this thread and thought oops I am busted.

Edited by allez

Im sitting in France right now with 5 mates who all flew Emirates with Evoc bike bags and a normal check in bag. 

None paid anything for a extra bike and 2 were over weight with the bike bag @ 26 and 28kg and nothing happened as their check in clothes bags were 15 and 18kg.