Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

I can report back after our trip with Emirates that we payed f%#kol extra .

4 guys, 4 x bike bags , 4 x normal travel bags + a back pack each.

Everything was within the weight limit of 23kg per bag.

Cpt - Dubai - Bologna

Bologna - Dabai - Cpt

Cheers

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot about this thread.  Flew SAA from Munich to SA last month.  Bikebag (22 kg), Suitcase (23 kg) and cabin case.  No Problem and no extra cost.

• 4 months later...

I am not sure if it is still the case, as I have not flown with a bike for a couple of years now, but when I did regularly I always went as far as I could with SAA, because bike bags up to 23kg goes free with SAA (all sporting goods). Pretty sure it is still the case. So fly SAA and pray they don't privatise!? 

I am not sure if it is still the case, as I have not flown with a bike for a couple of years now, but when I did regularly I always went as far as I could with SAA, because bike bags up to 23kg goes free with SAA (all sporting goods). Pretty sure it is still the case. So fly SAA and pray they don't privatise!? 

Qatar, Virgin, Ethiopian all don't charge for bikes if they fit within your baggage allowance. (I've flown all 3 within the last year without issue) I won't go near SAA as they tend to cancel flights at the last minute (especially local connecting flights) and their planes are old and rather uncomfortable for international travel.

I won't go near SAA as they tend to cancel flights at the last minute (especially local connecting flights) and their planes are old and rather uncomfortable for international travel.

Also the minor detail that they tend to forget to load your luggage on connecting flights. #FlyTonsilAirlines

Qatar, Virgin, Ethiopian all don't charge for bikes if they fit within your baggage allowance. (I've flown all 3 within the last year without issue) I won't go near SAA as they tend to cancel flights at the last minute (especially local connecting flights) and their planes are old and rather uncomfortable for international travel.

I did 130+ flights last year, and a fair bit on SAA.   I want to give them a bad rap, but seriously cannot.   I find them the fastest to my EU and African destinations and whilst a bit more, if I add in what I'd have spent on a meal in both directions on Emirates for example, it's not always that bad (CPT-LHR for example), let alone that I save 6 hours minimum each way.

What actually made me comment is that their planes are old... to a large extent, yes compared to for example (to keep the LHR route discussion) Ethiopian on their Dreamliner to Addis and then on the new A350.   But that said, Emirates outside of anything lower than Business is not much better.    And whilst Ethiopian has newer planes, nothing is worth 3 hours in that shithole Bole airport.

On the sandpit airlines, I actually find Qatar the best, but again, why I want to route through there if I'm heading to Europe makes no sense, no matter how cheap.

Never had an issue with bike travel if it's in a proper bag (they seem smaller than the boxes for the dimensions calc) and under weight.

• 2 months later...

Hello Hubbers.

I just flew Emirates on Friday..with 4 bikes....

I was very lucky to have a Business class ticket which allowed me (2 x 32kg bags each person).

I did my homework with the Emirates small print, and most certainly called in advance to try reason how the hell a bike could never fit into a 150cm (l+w+h) bag.- they said All flights out of Africa are piece concept.

So for many days I thought I was in for $500 fee for my baggage, but to make it worse my wife had 2 bikes with her too!..so that would have been $1000!!!

(I tried "but I'm business and you making me pay for baggage"...the customer services on the phone didn't care.

I had packed our 4 bikes to the weight of what normal baggage allowance is for business class (40kg)..hand luggage packed like a ton of bricks!

At check in...not a word mentioned about piece concept! Bags tagged,and sent away!!!

I flew Economy class to Dubai a month earlier,with a bike too.

That time..23kg bike box and a 7kg bag...(hand luggage a ton), and that flight no issues either!!!

I believe their piece concept may be a rule that is in place, but not necessarily imposed on us.

I stressed my brains out for a week over the potential bag bill, but it turned out great.

I think if you within your total baggage allowance, check in early, and smile and not come in too hot and yelling thinking you a cyclist with priorities...it will go well too.

Thought I'd add my experience,as last week was hell stressing about baggage!

Happy riding

Hello Hubbers.

I just flew Emirates on Friday..with 4 bikes....

I was very lucky to have a Business class ticket which allowed me (2 x 32kg bags each person).

I did my homework with the Emirates small print, and most certainly called in advance to try reason how the hell a bike could never fit into a 150cm (l+w+h) bag.- they said All flights out of Africa are piece concept.

So for many days I thought I was in for $500 fee for my baggage, but to make it worse my wife had 2 bikes with her too!..so that would have been $1000!!!

(I tried "but I'm business and you making me pay for baggage"...the customer services on the phone didn't care.

I had packed our 4 bikes to the weight of what normal baggage allowance is for business class (40kg)..hand luggage packed like a ton of bricks!

At check in...not a word mentioned about piece concept! Bags tagged,and sent away!!!

I flew Economy class to Dubai a month earlier,with a bike too.

That time..23kg bike box and a 7kg bag...(hand luggage a ton), and that flight no issues either!!!

I believe their piece concept may be a rule that is in place, but not necessarily imposed on us.

I stressed my brains out for a week over the potential bag bill, but it turned out great.

I think if you within your total baggage allowance, check in early, and smile and not come in too hot and yelling thinking you a cyclist with priorities...it will go well too.

Thought I'd add my experience,as last week was hell stressing about baggage!

Happy riding

I did 130+ flights last year, and a fair bit on SAA. I want to give them a bad rap, but seriously cannot. I find them the fastest to my EU and African destinations and whilst a bit more, if I add in what I'd have spent on a meal in both directions on Emirates for example, it's not always that bad (CPT-LHR for example), let alone that I save 6 hours minimum each way.

What actually made me comment is that their planes are old... to a large extent, yes compared to for example (to keep the LHR route discussion) Ethiopian on their Dreamliner to Addis and then on the new A350. But that said, Emirates outside of anything lower than Business is not much better. And whilst Ethiopian has newer planes, nothing is worth 3 hours in that shithole Bole airport.

On the sandpit airlines, I actually find Qatar the best, but again, why I want to route through there if I'm heading to Europe makes no sense, no matter how cheap.

Never had an issue with bike travel if it's in a proper bag (they seem smaller than the boxes for the dimensions calc) and under weight.

You fly so much but talk about flying to London via crazy routes. SAA is via JHB.

Why don't you fly BA direct?

Flight JHB-DUBAI-BOLOGNA.  Just called Emirates.  You get 2 x 23kg baggage allowance.  You can use one for sports equipment subject to the maximum size & weight restrictions and was told if the baggage dimensions exceed 150cm then its $250 outward flight and $250 for inward flight.  The Thule standard Round Trip Pro XT bag is 126cm+30cm+89cm = 249cm.  So there's no getting away with the $250 charges then.  Is this correct?   Thanks.

Flight JHB-DUBAI-BOLOGNA. Just called Emirates. You get 2 x 23kg baggage allowance. You can use one for sports equipment subject to the maximum size & weight restrictions and was told if the baggage dimensions exceed 150cm then its $250 outward flight and $250 for inward flight. The Thule standard Round Trip Pro XT bag is 126cm+30cm+89cm = 249cm. So there's no getting away with the $250 charges then. Is this correct? Thanks.

Theoretically yes but in around 20 flights in the last 2 years I have not been charged once for a bike and every time it exceeded the 150cm rule.

Theoretically yes but in around 20 flights in the last 2 years I have not been charged once for a bike and every time it exceeded the 150cm rule.

This guy knows. ^^^^ I'm just not prepared to be the unlucky sod who arrives at the check in counter the day they DO decide to impose the rule. So Qatar it is for me. Plus I HATE Dubai airport.

@Clive. Spill the beans please. Where are you going? What are your riding plans? You can't come on here and not give details man!! We want Bike Holiday Envy

Edited by Duane_Bosch

:D

This guy knows. ^^^^ I'm just not prepared to be the unlucky sod who arrives at the check in counter the day they DO decide to impose the rule. So Qatar it is for me. Plus I HATE Dubai airport.

@Clive. Spill the beans please. Where are you going? What are your riding plans? You can't come on here and not give details man!! We want Bike Holiday Envy

I haven't paid yet but still have a semi clenched sphincter every time I check in!

Thanks Eldron.  Perhaps if the second 23kg baggage allowance is used for the bike it makes a difference?  In other words you only have one bag of 23kg and the bike (under 23kg), given that you are allowed 2 x 23kg bags.  It will be better to have certainty as its a whack of money to pay out...