Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have a fair bit of experience travelling abroad with 2-4 singles and up to 2 tandems. My last flight was with 2 tandems and 2 singles.

Every airline has different rules and not only do they change regularly but the also vary depending on where you are travelling to and from.

Standard checked in luggage cannot exceed 158 linear centimetres and the small print on baggage restrictions always allows less when travelling to or from Africa. For example if you fly to the US from Central Asia you get a 2 x 32kg but if your destination is anywhere in Africa that goes down to 2 x 23kg.

Travelling with a bike is expensive, deal with it. 

Remember your bicycle is a piece of sporting equipment and should not count as standard check in luggage, yes you can get it passed as normal check in  against your allowance but know that it will all depend on the person at the check in counter.

Top tips:

1: Pay top dollar for a porter! 

Find a friendly looking porter at the entrance of the airport and pass him a decent tip in advance. This is your number one gateway to a smooth check in procedure. He knows the best counter to go to and will often be able to even by pass some checks and weigh in procedures. 

2: Arrive early, like hours early!

Sounds like common sense but you need enough time to deal with difficult staff who might never have checked a bicycle in before. If you are stressed about getting it all done in time you are not going to be able to follow my next piece of advice.

3: Don't be a moegoe, seriously, be cool.

Every oke who gets mad and gives flight staff hassles about their bicycles is tainting all future cyclist experiences. Even if you are getting the short end of the stick, be cool. There is nothing worse than seeing flight staff immediately get on the offensive when they see you because some moegoe with a bicycle box come by before.

4: Don't call in advance.

Trying to get guarantees is at best going to cost you the full applicable fee and at worst just going to cause major headache as you try explain to the people on duty on the day about some arrangement you made before.

5: Check Excess Baggage Costs.

Obviously do check to make sure the airline is not going to screw you over big time, on some airlines the excess baggage cost is astronomical. 

6: Always be prepared to pay the full excess baggage fee.

If you think it's too expensive I urge you to get a quote from a professional bicycle courier company for the same trip. To show you the REAL cost of transporting a bike abroad.

Just my two cents,

snip

4: Don't call in advance.

Trying to get guarantees is at best going to cost you the full applicable fee and at worst just going to cause major headache as you try explain to the people on duty on the day about some arrangement you made before.

5: Check Excess Baggage Costs.

Obviously do check to make sure the airline is not going to screw you over big time, on some airlines the excess baggage cost is astronomical. 

snip

isn't the purpose of number 4 to avoid or find out about number 5?

isn't the purpose of number 4 to avoid or find out about number 5?

Good question:

If you call, you will speak to some random sitting behind a desk. The person on the phone most likely doesn't know and will simply look up the information on the airline website. Or worse they will tell you all sorts of reassuring things and even if you take a name and a reference number when you arrive no one at the airport will know who that person is. In the end it all comes down to the person at the check in desk and your luck with a porter.

That being said, mind #5! Some airlines or tickets are excess baggage friendly.

Choose an airline with excess baggage fee allocated per PIECE and not per KG.

If you have control of buying your own tickets it often works out cheaper to buy a more expensive ticket that comes with extra baggage.

post-28170-0-00065000-1549290962_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience taking Lithium ion batteries on Emirates viz bike lights. Any issues?

Does anyone have any experience taking Lithium ion batteries on Emirates viz bike lights. Any issues?

The general preference is for them to be in hand luggage, and not in the hold because if there is a problem, they can deal with it in the cabin. Not so easy in the hold.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm flying to Dublin Ireland next weekend. 

We have to pack 2x Luggage bags each, and then additionally take our bikes, packed in boxes. 

I have phoned them twice now, and their baggage policy makes it impossible to fly your bike over without paying $250US oversized baggage penalty. 

Their policy states:

"Total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150cm (59 inches)."

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

Please show me someone who can pack their bike in a box without exceeding 150cm total dimensions. 

This means that if we book an extra piece of luggage online, that's $160US and if the luggage exceeds 150cm you then pay for oversized luggage at another $250. 

So that's $310 just to take our bikes with to Ireland. That is basically half the price of our total airfare. WTF!

If someone knows how to get over this hurdle, please help me out. I'm pulling my hair out here.

Edited by Nick
Merged from another topic to this discussion.

easy....

post-35907-0-81030000-1551352777_thumb.jpg

but seriously, I have flown Emirates and other international lines and the dimensional rule has never been an issue...it's there and i suppose they can block you but they look more at your luggage weight, especially if it's in a proper bike bag or box...as long as I have been within weight limits ie, the total allowable for check-on as well as piece weight limit (usually 23kgs), I have never paid...even flew back with 2 bikes and luggage once....ok that time, they were confused in Geneva and in a rush and I was charming!

Good luck!

I use this bag and has paid never extra. My wife and son flew Emirates to Bali last year with a long board and two 5.6 surfboards ans also did not pay anything extra.  Sporting goods normally don't have an extra charge. 

Size: outer: 147 x 36 x 85 cm

I use this bag and has paid never extra. My wife and son flew Emirates to Bali last year with a long board and two 5.6 surfboards ans also did not pay anything extra.  Sporting goods normally don't have an extra charge. 

Size: outer: 147 x 36 x 85 cm

post-53742-0-88286900-1551353501_thumb.jpg