Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check it out....this may work!

This is a damn good idea! It seems like I will have to be a little bit more resourceful for this trip. But let's hope they don't give me hell. Worst case = sending the bikes back home from the airport and having someone bring them over for us once we are there. 

I use this bag and has paid never extra. My wife and son flew Emirates to Bali last year with a long board and two 5.6 surfboards ans also did not pay anything extra.  Sporting goods normally don't have an extra charge. 

Size: outer: 147 x 36 x 85 cm

Thanx for this. Yeah I am considering buying another bag for the second bike. These are just usually pretty expensive. 

Thanx for this. Yeah I am considering buying another bag for the second bike. These are just usually pretty expensive.

I have flown c various countries with multiple airlines with my 29er in a bag and a couple of times in a box. Never ever had to pay more than the standard extra bag fee. Suppose it can happen, but I am always polite and have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will pay cos you have two bags and then your bike is extra.drop one bag and your bike can go, been to the US evoc bag no prob.

All sporting equipment including golf equipment, bicycles and ski equipment 
Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance. If you intend to take a bicycle as checked luggage, please contact us at least 24 hours in advance. Special packaging rules may apply.

Weight Concept

All sporting equipment including golf equipment, bicycles and ski equipment 

Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance. If you intend to take a bicycle as checked luggage, please contact us at least 24 hours in advance. Special packaging rules may apply.

Weight Concept

I called them and asked, they said the overall dimensions cannot exceed 150cm. 

They have the allowed bike box dimensions on their website.

We build correx bike boxes within the allows dimensions and transport bike, paddling kit etc (within single bag weight allowance) for Adventure Races around the world.

Seriously, flying with sporting equipment is not difficult and not expensive if you do the homework.

Edited by Jewbacca

I have read the entire thread. Emirates updated their baggage allowance policy on 4 February. Things might have changed since that thread  ^_^

it was mentioned on that thread.

on the 4th of feb.

if there ever needed to be a thread merge....then this is it

fixed some wonky maths ;)

me someone who can pack their bike in a box without exceeding 150cm total dimensions. 

This means that if we book an extra piece of luggage online, that's $160US and if the luggage exceeds 150cm you then pay for oversized luggage at another $250. 

So that's $310  $410 just to take our bikes with to Ireland. That is basically half the price of our total airfare. WTF!

They have the allowed bike box dimensions on their website.

We build correx bike boxes within the allows dimensions and transport bike, paddling kit etc (within single bag weight allowance) for Adventure Races around the world.

Seriously, flying with sporting equipment is not difficult and not expensive if you do the homework.

Please link me to the right page to view said Bike Box dimensions? I have scoured their site for this...

• 3 months later...

Anybody flown recently with emirates ? As mentioned before numerous times,call centers & online chats are useless. Have been given many different prices and some with dimension constrictions and some with just weight .

The normal 23kg additional luggage can be booked on line at a discounted rate . But now where does it state dimensions. As far as I an aware the total dimensions cannot add up over 300 cms,does this info sound correct ? And if you book online ahead of time and don’t exceed the 23kgs will there be no extra charge .

Looking to use my 2 x 23kg bags and take 2 evoc bike bags under 23kgs. Can’t wait 3 months for the container . Don’t mind paying the additional cost of the discounted rate when booking online if my bike bags fall under this category.

Any updated info/ assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Anybody flown recently with emirates ? As mentioned before numerous times,call centers & online chats are useless. Have been given many different prices and some with dimension constrictions and some with just weight .

The normal 23kg additional luggage can be booked on line at a discounted rate . But now where does it state dimensions. As far as I an aware the total dimensions cannot add up over 300 cms,does this info sound correct ? And if you book online ahead of time and don’t exceed the 23kgs will there be no extra charge .

Looking to use my 2 x 23kg bags and take 2 evoc bike bags under 23kgs. Can’t wait 3 months for the container . Don’t mind paying the additional cost of the discounted rate when booking online if my bike bags fall under this category.

Any updated info/ assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Flew on the 28th May to Barcelona - rocked up with a bike, checked it in and got on the plane and picked it up in Barcelona. 

Same process since 2012 every time I have flown on emirates. 

No cost, no issues, nothing. Less than none for myself and 2 mates. Never ever had any issues or problems.

Flew on the 28th May to Barcelona - rocked up with a bike, checked it in and got on the plane and picked it up in Barcelona. 

Same process since 2012 every time I have flown on emirates. 

No cost, no issues, nothing. Less than none for myself and 2 mates. Never ever had any issues or problems.

Hey j Wakefield many thanks for the reply .

Did you not pay extra as you only had one 23kg luggage bag ?

If that’s the case, any idea what the cost is of the extra luggage under 23kgs - more specific my 22kg bike bag .

Thanks in advance ..