Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Also.

On my last trip the lady at the SARS desk said the rule had changed and that I didn't need to declare a bike anymore. I got the distinct impression that she had changed the rule right at the point where she spotted me because she felt the hassle of filling out a serial and passport number was not worth the effort.

Shame. The poor thing was so huge I imagine just breathing would take all of her energy for the day and doing her actual job was just a bridge too far.

Took my bike out beginning of Dec and again beginning of Feb, both times never had to declare to SARS and was never stopped by them to do so.  You have the baggage receipts on your tickets which I keep, so can prove I took it out and returned with it.

My bike travels in a hard case, Scicon aerotech and no issues so far yet on numerous trips.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Qatar Airways:

"Sporting equipment

Qatar Airways accepts any sporting equipment as checked baggage as part of the passenger's free checked baggage allowance mentioned on the ticket.

Any sporting equipment which exceeds the free allowance will be subject to excess baggage rates.

Bicycles may be carried as checked baggage or cargo. They must be properly packed in a strong purpose-made cardboard box. Tyres should be deflated, pedals removed, and handlebars turned and fixed lengthways"

Flights from Africa - 45kg (99lb) and a maximum dimension of 300cm (118in)*

*For bookings made from 18th April, 2016 onwards. Prior bookings for flights originating from Africa have a checked baggage allowance of 50kg (110lb) for First Class, 40kg (88lb) for Business Class and 30kg (66lb) for Economy Class.

• Maximum dimension = length + width + height
  • Baggage allowances may vary according to route and cabin class. Please check the exact baggage regulations printed on your ticket.
  • Excess baggage charges may apply if you exceed the weight and/or piece allowances. Contact your local Qatar Airways office for more information.
  • A single piece of checked baggage must not weigh more than 32kg (70lb). Any bags weighing more than 32kg (70lb) must be broken down such that each piece weighs less than 32kg (70lb).

There are different baggage limits according to route so always look for that with your airline.

Edit...another thing to watch for is CODESHARING! Beware of this one as you may get a charge when you change carriers on your trip

Edit: Linear Dimensions = length + width + height...max must be 300cm...a typical bike bag (I have a PROBIKE Mega @ 253cm) should be less this this.

Howzit guys. So from my understanding I can then take two bags that weigh 15kg each? One being a bike? We will be flying with Qatar but my kop is too dom to understand this today.

Howzit guys. So from my understanding I can then take two bags that weigh 15kg each? One being a bike? We will be flying with Qatar but my kop is too dom to understand this today.

economy...

post-35907-0-02076100-1607501546_thumb.png

post-35907-0-13588100-1607501750_thumb.png

You can have your bike bag as one of these 2 bags but it must not be more than 32kg. 

If Qatar Air is your only carrier, you golden, if you jump over to another carrier en route, better check their policy as well.

I have never had dimensional issues as long as the bike is in a standard bike bag/box or its original shipping box

economy...

Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 11.11.43.png

Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 11.15.34.png

You can have your bike bag as one of these 2 bags but it must not be more than 32kg.

If Qatar Air is your only carrier, you golden, if you jump over to another carrier en route, better check their policy as well.

I have never had dimensional issues as long as the bike is in a standard bike bag/box or its original shipping box

Awesome thanks. We are going to be on 3 different airlines so I’ll have a look.

• 2 months later...

Hi Capediver,

Could perhaps share the link to this info? 

From everything I can see on the Qatar website, you can only travel with 2x 23kg bag of which one can be a bike bag. With my bike being 15kg and bag 7kg... its looking a bit tight  :mellow: I want to confirm the 32kg limit.

Not certain if the rules have changed over the past 2 months, possibly. Hope you or anyone else can advise.

Thanks!

economy...

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-12-09 at 11.11.43.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-12-09 at 11.15.34.png

Hi Capediver,

From everything I can see on the Qatar website, you can only travel with 2x 23kg bag of which one can be a bike bag. With my bike being 15kg and bag 7kg... its looking a bit tight  :mellow: I want to confirm the 32kg limit.

Not certain if the rules have changed over the past 2 months, possibly. Hope you or anyone else can advise.

Thanks!

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-qa/baggage/allowance.html

and for sporting items:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-qa/baggage/special-items.html

Max baggage limit:

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206465758-What-if-I-want-to-check-in-sports-equipment-

Edited by capediver

Hi Capediver,

Thanks!

When are you flying?

With Emirates not flying, I am hoping to fly around the 18th of March on Qatar. Would be interested to hear your experience. Fortunately my bike is only around 10kg. When I flew to JHB in December, the EVO bike bag with the bike and lots of clothes came in around 22kg.

Do you know if you need to pre-book the bike bag / sporting equipment with Qatar ?

When are you flying?

With Emirates not flying, I am hoping to fly around the 18th of March on Qatar. Would be interested to hear your experience. Fortunately my bike is only around 10kg. When I flew to JHB in December, the EVO bike bag with the bike and lots of clothes came in around 22kg.

Do you know if you need to pre-book the bike bag / sporting equipment with Qatar ?

Similar questions have come up in another thread...I've been flying Qatar for a LOOONG time (14 plus years and at least 4 to 5 times return from CTN and JHB a year) and recently over the last 4 or so years with a bike inside a PROBIKE bike bag...never paid ever for the bike, never pre-booked, as long as you inside the above mentioned specs, you should be good...My experience...mine...all mine, not anyone else's...mine..I think you know what I mean! but the site is pretty clear, bike forms part of check-in luggage and is free within the limits set out. Excess baggage hurts, really hard, so stay inside the weight limits and you'll be good.

When are you flying?

Doha airport is quite nice for us plebs. There are these things called quiet areas. It's not a business lounge and you don't pay to enter but it's separated from the hubbub of the rest of the airport. and it's got recliners so you can catch a few hours of Z.

Bizarrely it can get quite cold in there so take one of those travel blankies.

IMO Qatar is the best of the sandpit airlines. And the airport is the nicest international airport I've been to.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Apologies for not acknowledging your reply sooner, I did not realize my question had gather a response till now.

From this it would seem that I do need to keep to the max 23kg, with my other bag also being 23kg. That's with economy of course.

I haven't booked my tickets yet, but should be flying end March early april.

When are you flying?

Not sure if/when SAA are flying again, but my partner and I travelled to Brazil on SAA from CPT-JNB-GRU, with 2 X 18/20kg of MTB's, tools, and equipment in 2 bike bags, and had absolutely no problem at all (This was around mid 2019 before the nasty flu virus). 

SAA are very accommodating when it comes to Saffers travelling with sporting goods, far more so than a non-local carrier would be. 

Edited by markjamesmulholland@gmail.com

Similar questions have come up in another thread...I've been flying Qatar for a LOOONG time (14 plus years and at least 4 to 5 times return from CTN and JHB a year) and recently over the last 4 or so years with a bike inside a PROBIKE bike bag...never paid ever for the bike, never pre-booked, as long as you inside the above mentioned specs, you should be good...My experience...mine...all mine, not anyone else's...mine..I think you know what I mean! but the site is pretty clear, bike forms part of check-in luggage and is free within the limits set out. Excess baggage hurts, really hard, so stay inside the weight limits and you'll be good.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds positive.

Not sure if/when SAA are flying again, but my partner and I travelled to Brazil on SAA from CPT-JNB-GRU, with 2 X 18/20kg of MTB's, tools, and equipment in 2 bike bags, and had absolutely no problem at all (This was around mid 2019 before the nasty flu virus). 

SAA are very accommodating when it comes to Saffers travelling with sporting goods, far more so than a non-local carrier would be. 

SAA had a policy 2x23kg checked luggage, and 1x sports bag