Need some advice (No warranty ZIPP Wheel). Buycyle selling old stock and do not guarantee their work

Flange

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tks noted and agreed. let me try clarify.

This run around has been ongoing for some time and the attached is really a condensed version. The verbiage under the  "Buycyle's comment here" was only inserted this evening.

I sent Buycyle a message on the 30/05 stating my side / view of what had happened (based on the carry-on of the past / previous couple of weeks) on the 08/05 I received a mail advising that the Manger would respond.  As of today I have not heard from the manager.

I arranged to collected my wheel on wed 15th. While collecting the wheel I was advised that Buycycle do not warranty their workmanship. I was also once again advised that the manager would call me. I have still not heard from the manager.

The comment "I did however receive professional and timely feedback from Kristie at Bucycle" also needs a little context and probably in the wrong place.

Kirstie has been trying to assist me and her communication and effort has been great over the past months.

hope this clarifies. tks Charles

Interesting that the "manager" (Christiaan van Zyl), is quick to comment on any other Wahoo or BuyCyle related Forums, but now is VERY quite.............???

Interesting that the "manager" (Christiaan van Zyl), is quick to comment on any other Wahoo or BuyCyle related Forums, but now is VERY quite.............???

Mmmmm

I was also thinking the exact same thing..

My own observation with wheel building is that it is a hit and miss affair with the bike shops. This is all the shops that I have dealt with. When they get it right the results are great, however, when they make a mistake it goes wrong pretty quickly.

I would suspect in this instance there is something wrong with the carbon rim. My old Zipp 404s (about 10 years old) the rear wheel spokes are super tight and the rim appears to cope fine. The spokes appear to be a lot tighter than any other wheel I have owned.

My own observation with wheel building is that it is a hit and miss affair with the bike shops. This is all the shops that I have dealt with. When they get it right the results are great, however, when they make a mistake it goes wrong pretty quickly.

I would suspect in this instance there is something wrong with the carbon rim. My old Zipp 404s (about 10 years old) the rear wheel spokes are super tight and the rim appears to cope fine. The spokes appear to be a lot tighter than any other wheel I have owned.

Depending on what your other wheels are the tension varies a lot between different wheels.

Here is the chart that comes with the parktool TM1.

post-58906-0-15630500-1466576842_thumb.jpg

Depending on what your other wheels are the tension varies a lot between different wheels.

Here is the chart that comes with the parktool TM1.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1362350566.489881.jpg

Do they distinguish between the front and back wheels? The back spokes on any wheel are much tighter, especially the drive side. I understand this is normal.

They way I understand it from all the OP's posts is:

1. OP bought a ZIPP wheel from BuyCycle

2. OP had a PowerTap built into the wheel. He does not say where the PowerTap came from but it seems safe to assume that it also came from BuyCycle as it was an online purchase

3. BuyCycle built the wheel onto the powerTap using their spokes.

4. OP cycled about 1000km on the wheel in just over a year.

5. Wheel failed after a year due to cracks appearing in 4 places on the rim.

6. Wheel returned to BuyCycle with the intention of making a warranty claim

7. BuyCycle sent it to the ZIPP agents (Cape Cycles) who check the spoke tension and inform that it is not within specifications. They decline to honour a warranty due to breach of warranty conditions.

8. BuyCycle asserted that they offer no warranty on their workmanship.

My comments are:

1. Manufacturer (ZIPP and CycleOps) via their agent provides a conditional warranty warranty. The retailer should be intimately aware of the terms of the warranty.

2. BuyCycle agreed to build the wheel at the request of the OP.

3. BuyCycle failed to advise the OP that altering the ZIPP wheel would effectively void the warranty that the wheel would otherwise have carried.

4. OP failed to ask any questions about the warranty at the time of requesting the wheel to be built by BuyCycle.

5. Wheel worked perfectly for a year or 1000km, or so it seemed anyway.

6. Mechanically, to take the spoke tensions after the wheel failed and make assertions based on those readings is laughable. If the tension on one spoke changed for any reason (wheel failure) the tensions on the opposing and surrounding spokes changes immediately. Basing a warranty claim on that alone would be contestable.

7.  Warranties have conditions. They are there to protect the manufacturer from fallacious claims as well as wear and tear reasonably expected with the product.

Lessons for the OP: Do your homework before committing

Lessons for BuyCycle: Make sure you communicate warranty conditions and ESPECIALLY when you are going to assist in voiding a warranty

I hope all the parties can reach a fair and amicable solution here.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the comments, 

Just a note of warning, jimivaughn is actually an disgruntled ex BuyCycle employee named Martin Horne. Whether Christian comments on a link or not at a time frame which suits you really has nothing to do with the matter at hand Martin. If you have personal issues with Christian be man enough and come talk to him, in person.

Now...about the wheel set, Charles I like you  :thumbup: cool guy. With this matter I learned a couple of things.

I (wrongfully) assumed that the buyer, Charles, knew / understood the following. Will communicate it next time :

1) BuyCycle can not warranty the wheel build as we are the middle man, BUT we will assist you in getting the warranty / refund / exchange you are entitled to from the SUPPLIERS. (In this case the wheel builder and Cape Cycles). (This should have been communicated at the time of the sale).

2) I asked around, chatted to mechanics at Bruces etc. and they also confirmed what BDF pointed out : Mechanically, to take the spoke tensions after the wheel failed and make assertions based on those readings is laughable. If the tension on one spoke changed for any reason (wheel failure) the tensions on the opposing and surrounding spokes changes immediately. Basing a warranty claim on that alone would be contestable.

What I did communicate to Charles :

1) About the "old stock" : I began work at BuyCycle October last year so I'm not certain whether your wheel set was ordered from Cape Cycles specifically for this sale or whether it was stock that BuyCycle pre-bought. As far as I know, and I explained it to Charles, BuyCycles' business model is that we do not keep stock on hand (except the stock which we source from Bruces). So I'm guessing that the wheel set was bought specifically for your sale, but I'm not sure.

2) I got in contact with Cape Cycles, the response Charles posted from them is correct.

What I did not communicate soon enough with Charles, as I was waiting to receive a response :

1) We used a reputable wheel builder to do the build (Christian will give his name to Charles). When Charles first mailed me, I phoned him and asked that he has a look at the images which Charles forwarded of the buckled wheel but have had no response yet. I am not certain what his guarantee on his workmanship is and would need him to confirm whether he will guarantee a build older than a year.

In conclusion, we want to assist you as best we can, but we can not accept responsibility for the buckled wheel granted that : Upon delivery over a year ago the wheel was 100%.

But we will get in touch with the wheel builder and give you his response, although I don't think he will guarantee a build over 6 months old, but worth a shot.

Hi Guys,

Just a note of warning, jimivaughn is actually an disgruntled ex BuyCycle employee named Martin Horne. Whether Christian comments on a link or not at a time frame which suits you really has nothing to do with the matter at hand Martin. If you have personal issues with Christian be man enough and come talk to him, in person.

Now...about the wheel set, Charles I like you  :thumbup: cool guy. With this matter I learned a couple of things.

I (wrongfully) assumed that the buyer, Charles, knew / understood the following. Will communicate it next time :

1) BuyCycle can not warranty the wheel build as we are the middle man, BUT we will assist you in getting the warranty / refund / exchange you are entitled to from the SUPPLIERS. (In this case the wheel builder and Cape Cycles). (This should have been communicated at the time of the sale).

2) I asked around, chatted to mechanics at Bruces etc. and they also confirmed what BDF pointed out : Mechanically, to take the spoke tensions after the wheel failed and make assertions based on those readings is laughable. If the tension on one spoke changed for any reason (wheel failure) the tensions on the opposing and surrounding spokes changes immediately. Basing a warranty claim on that alone would be contestable.

1) About the "old stock" : I began work at BuyCycle October last year so I'm not certain whether your wheel set was ordered from Cape Cycles specifically for this sale or whether it was stock that BuyCycle pre-bought. As far as I know, and I explained it to Charles, BuyCycles' business model is that we do not keep stock on hand (except the stock which we source from Bruces). So I'm guessing that the wheel set was bought specifically for your sale, but I'm not sure.

2) I got in contact with Cape Cycles, the response Charles posted from them is correct.

What I did not communicate soon enough with Charles, as I was waiting to receive a response :

1) We used a reputable wheel builder to do the build (Christian will give his name to Charles). When Charles first mailed me, I phoned him and asked that he has a look at the images which Charles forwarded of the buckled wheel but have had no response yet. I am not certain what his guarantee on his workmanship is and would need him to confirm whether he will guarantee a build older than a year.

In conclusion, we want to assist you as best we can, but we can not accept responsibility for the buckled wheel granted that : Upon delivery over a year ago the wheel was 100%.

But we will get in touch with the wheel builder and give you his response, although I don't think he will guarantee a build over 6 months old, but worth a shot.

Great reply! I am liking this company more and more! Shows maturity and honesty. I like those two attributes in the people that I deal with.

Hi Guys,

EISH...what has "disgruntled employee" got too do with the way BuyCycle communicates with clients via BikeHub.......seems very immature reply. Look at the facts of the case & not the messenger(s). 

Snippets

1) BuyCycle can not warranty the wheel build as we are the middle man.

1) We used a reputable wheel builder to do the build

Now I'm very confused.

The wheels were bought from Buycycle per the original post.

It appears they were not supplied as a complete set by Zipp agent Cape Cycles.

You acted as a middle man. There was a reputable wheel builder involved.

Which brings me to my question: Who contracted the wheel builder? BuyCycle, Cape Cycles or the OP?

In contract law this goes to the source of liability. If it was the OP then his beef is with the wheel builder. If it was BuyCycle then it's irrelevant information and you are passing the buck.

PS: I have already posted that any warranty greater than 6 months from a wheel builder is adequate.

PPS: I'm not a disgruntled ex employee.

PPPS: I think your put down of your ex employee was both unwarranted and possibly slanderous.