First Ride: Giant Full-E+ 1 and Dirt-E+ 1

Iwan Kemp

Jeez , that's ugly on a whole new level . If I was Yamaha I would ask to have my name removed from something so unsightly .

Never seen I an e bike with my own eyes. For those who have and maybe rode one.

Do you hear the "engine"?

On the bike while riding, and will the rider in front of you (say on a single track or so) hear without looking that an e bike is behind him?

On the bike while riding, and will the rider in front of you (say on a single track or so) hear without looking that an e bike is behind him?

Not really. Some have an only just audible "whizz" sound, but a rider in front or behind won't hear.

It is an electrical assist, so almost no noise, just a "buzz" as Iwan said.

Note that it is an assist, meaning that there is no "throttle" and you can't free wheel using the "engine". The assist is an adjustable percentage of the torque applied to the pedals.

In essence a modern "help-my-trap" as per the pic above :)

This weekend I went riding at Helderberg trails.  When we got to the bottom we cycled back up to do the downhill single track again.  When we got to the bottom for a 2nd time I would not have mind to do it again if it was not for the not so flat sections to the top.  So, I can totally see why someone would want a pedal assist bike if money was not an object.  No MTB'er will only have an pedal assist bike, this will obviously be one of your n + 1 bikes.

At the moment I have to working legs that are able to get me to the top of a mountain at least 2 times and a bank account that will not get me to the top of that mountain for a 3rd time.  If I did have that kind of bank account then there are far more important stuff to buy than a pedal assist bike. 

For those that say you will buy it when you are 75, not sure that will happen.  I you are to old to cycle to the top, surely you will be to old to shred down the mountain.  Not saying 75 year old toppies cannot shred down hill, I'm sure there are some out there that can.

What I don't understand is how will a pedal assist bike get MTB'er banned.  If it does not have a throttle and only powers up when you pedal, how does this pose a risk to fellow riders or cause damage to the trails? 

I do understand that if I cycle to the top with hard earned sweat and leg power and someone on a pedal assist bike passes me on the uphill only to turn out not having any skill on the decent and prevents me from getting that PR or KOM on a Strava segment that I will be pissed off!  But that is not the fault of the bike but rather the "box" on the bike.

Not many pensioners are going to be able afford that...

@ R70k it is too steep even while earning a salary!

Its expensive enough maintaining "normal" bikes....what happens when these things start giving you issues!!

On Pinkbike

Oooh, edgy. Is that where all the hardebaard manne hang out?

You BFF's with WAKIdesigns?