tyre pressure vs rim pressure

Tandemonium 2

That is related to hydraulics though, this is related to gasses. I may have missed the connection though and just wanted to throw in a chirp while I eat this here popcorn.

There are minor changes in behaviour due to compressibility effects under dynamic conditions, but the basic principle remains the same as the pressure, force, area relationship applies to all fluids, whether its liquid or gas. 6 bar pressure is 6 bar pressure, whether its liquid or gas in this case. Since the situation describes static loading, compressibility effects don't come into play, and the P= F/A relationship holds true as is.

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

minor changes in behaviour due to compressibility effects under dynamic conditiosn, but the basic principle remains the same as the pressure, force, area relationship applies to all fluids, whether its liquid or gas. 6 bar pressure is 6 bar pressure, whether its liquid or gas in this case. Since the situation is describes static loading, compressibility effects don't come into play, so the P= F/A relationship holds true.

Bazinga. 

Or we can accept the rim manufacturer's answer, being that the rim can handle a higher inflation pressure with a smaller volume tyre! End of debate 

I'm sure they will not make a statement like that without being certain that their product can live up to the higher pressure in that configuration, partly because they are proud Swiss engineers :) , and partly because, in the modern business world, there is a very real threat of damages lawsuits against directors of a business in their personal capacity, and nobody wants to go there.

There are minor changes in behaviour due to compressibility effects under dynamic conditions, but the basic principle remains the same as the pressure, force, area relationship applies to all fluids, whether its liquid or gas. 6 bar pressure is 6 bar pressure, whether its liquid or gas in this case. Since the situation describes static loading, compressibility effects don't come into play, and the P= F/A relationship holds true as is.

Thanks for the explanation, as mentioned before Im just a sideline popcorn muncher.

Im loving that this thread has has so many conflicting views but has managed to stay civil and informative at the same time.

Thanks for the explanation, as mentioned before Im just a sideline popcorn muncher.

Im loving that this thread has has so many conflicting views but has managed to stay civil and informative at the same time.

thing is, only one of those views is correct :) 

It is quite refreshing that people can think out loud without fear of ridicule. Let's hope it stays that way. What is so serious about being wrong sometimes in any case [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Showtime

It is quite refreshing that people can think out loud without fear of ridicule. Let's hope it stays that way. What is so serious about being wrong sometimes in any case [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing at all. As long as you're prepared to acknowledge when you are, and change your POV after being proven so.

Eugene my rims are the 540 tandem hub with p545, 700 c rims. I will try and upload their pressure chart that shows you what size tyre fits to your size rim.

Thanks Anton, that would be super. If it's a problem, I'll PM you my rim/hub model numbers when I get home this evening.

the Tech looked up my rim sizes inner and outer and then based on that he said 6bar is fine . The rims came out with racing ralph 2.1 tyres . If I look at that size the chart says I should not exceed 4 bar . So the 4 bar looks as if it was specific for the 2.1 profile . 

Edited by anton b