Educate me please! Road cycling, what are the rules?

Vetplant

I was riding on Solomon Mahlango Drive between Lynwood Road and Olympus, heading Westbound. I ride to the left of the yellow line to stay alive.

Approaching Olympus Rd I see ahead the left-hand emergency lane converts into a "turn left" lane for normal traffic. I peak back to see whether cars are coming from behind and whether they intend to turn left. As suspected, two cars behind me have their indicators on. My intention is to continue straight, so I move over the line into traffic to indicate as such. Both cars zoom past me and then cuts across me into the turning lane, which is unacceptable if I was a car or a motorcycle but because I am on a bicycle it seems to be the norm. As I pass them I give them both a condescending look to show my disapproval. The front driver yells something as I pass, so I stop and walk bike to hear his commentary: "Cars have right have way, don't drive in-front of them", to which I respond "I have just as much right to be on the road as you" , his response: "Where is your license" :stupid:

Now, please educate me:

Q1: Am I confused, or are we as cyclist, by law, allowed equal rights to other road users?

Q2: In future, how should I handle a lefthand slipway if I intend to continue straight with cars coming from behind intending to turn left?

Q3: Assuming I am not confused about the laws of the road, how do we educate the normal South African car drivers to the fact that cyclist are legal road users? 

Background:

-I am training for triathlon, so I need/want to do my cycling sessions alone on the road. I think group rides are not ideal training for my goals.

-I try to do my road cycling sessions during the times of day when traffic is at a minimum, but I can't avoid cars altogether. 

-I commute to work from time tot time, using the MTB to enable myself to stay on the side of the road and avoid interaction with cars as much as possible.

Edited by Rookie85

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL south African motorists are muppets - the rules mean nothing to them .

the real cycling rule is 'don't let them kill you cause they will all try'

assuming they will always respect your (the cyclists) rightof way will get you killed.

but try have fun out there anyway :)

Edited by bikebloke

Yeah I also ride Solomon fairly regularly. Best thing you can do is just to make sure where all the cars around you are and being firm in your decision. I also do the same when I get to slip lanes, I occupy the space and then move over to the dotted line to get to the islands in front at the intersection, I also make sure to give a good long look behind me so that people can see I'm busy doing something. Mostly the motorists get it, but alas, there are inconsiderate people in all shapes and forms. Don't get too worked up over it, just stay alive. Obviously signalling helps, but it's not always possible when you gotta be on the brakes or there's rocks and crap in the road.

As said above, the number 1 rule is STAY ALIVE. Train your spidey sense like in Premium Rush (Btw, get the movie if you haven't seen it).

Edited by DJR

Mother-father but you roadies have a lot of rules...

Goeiste.

But to answer the question: I do the same: I move over to the next lane. I do so with purpose and I do it unapologetically. My intentions are clear. Never had issues before.

Edited by The real MJ

There are specific rules for cyclists (such as riding in single file, having certain reflectors, wearing a helmet etc)however in general you have the same rights and obligations as other road users, so what you did was perfectly legal and yes you had right of way.

But no amount of rules and laws will change the fact that you will always come off second best in an accident. Being on the receiving end of two car collisions my personal rule is to always give the car right of way, even if it means stopping and walking across a pedestrian crossing to get to the other side. My body and life is worth more than the 2 min that I might save by enforcing my right of way.

Option 1:

If you can't get across, ride to the intersection, stop. Wait for the robot to change then move across to the lane that goes straight. Might cost you some time now but you have time to enjoy the rest of the ride.

Option 2:

If you can move across, extend your arm to INDICATE your intention and move when safe. If not safe, see Option 1.

Then...

Acknowledge the drivers that are courteous to you, and IGNORE those that aren't. All you are doing by reacting, is fuelling a fire that doesn't need to get bigger.

ALL Many south African motorists are muppets - the rules mean nothing to them .

the real cycling rule is 'don't let them kill you cause they will alltry'

assuming they will always respect your (the cyclists) rightof way will get you killed.

but try have fun out there anyway :)

Edit: fixed Edited by geraldm24

• 3 weeks later...

I was riding on Solomon Mahlango Drive between Lynwood Road and Olympus, heading Westbound. I ride to the left of the yellow line to stay alive.

Approaching Olympus Rd I see ahead the left-hand emergency lane converts into a "turn left" lane for normal traffic. I peak back to see whether cars are coming from behind and whether they intend to turn left. As suspected, two cars behind me have their indicators on. My intention is to continue straight, so I move over the line into traffic to indicate as such. Both cars zoom past me and then cuts across me into the turning lane, which is unacceptable if I was a car or a motorcycle but because I am on a bicycle it seems to be the norm. As I pass them I give them both a condescending look to show my disapproval. The front driver yells something as I pass, so I stop and walk bike to hear his commentary: "Cars have right have way, don't drive in-front of them", to which I respond "I have just as much right to be on the road as you" , his response: "Where is your license" :stupid:

Now, please educate me:

Q1: Am I confused, or are we as cyclist, by law, allowed equal rights to other road users?

Q2: In future, how should I handle a lefthand slipway if I intend to continue straight with cars coming from behind intending to turn left?

Q3: Assuming I am not confused about the laws of the road, how do we educate the normal South African car drivers to the fact that cyclist are legal road users? 

Background:

-I am training for triathlon, so I need/want to do my cycling sessions alone on the road. I think group rides are not ideal training for my goals.

-I try to do my road cycling sessions during the times of day when traffic is at a minimum, but I can't avoid cars altogether. 

-I commute to work from time tot time, using the MTB to enable myself to stay on the side of the road and avoid interaction with cars as much as possible.

Do we as cyclists have to do written and practical tests to ensure we are competant road users?

Do we as cyclists display visible licence disks on our bicycles to allow us to be identified and held accountable?

Do we pay licencing fees for our bicycles to help contribute to the management and upkeep of our roads?

No, we can't say we are equal to cars on the road, why should we have equal rights if we aren't tested to see if we are competant, are nameless and hard to be held accountable for our actions and don't contribute...

My 2c...