Ironman 70.3 East London 2017

fanievb

Hi Ladies n Gents...

All set for 70.3 East London in a few weeks...just would like to know, how is the swim being in past events?

I am from Durbz...and from what I hear, Durban has the roughest swim leg...I am not yet the most powerful/efficient swimmer but just wanna prep myself for E.L swim

PLEASE HELLLPPP!!!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ladies n Gents...

All set for 70.3 East London in a few weeks...just would like to know, how is the swim being in past events?

I am from Durbz...and from what I hear, Durban has the roughest swim leg...I am not yet the most powerful/efficient swimmer but just wanna prep myself for E.L swim

PLEASE HELLLPPP!!!

You will be fine. The ocean is the ocean so it's always moving but it's not going to be like dungeons so don't worry just keep moving.

The worst swim I have ever had was in Germiston lake for the 5150 last year so don't think the ocean will necessarily be the worst one can swim.

But take a deep breath an just keep moving. Wear yr wetsuit an take breaks if u need to. You will be fine. I promise

You will be fine. The ocean is the ocean so it's always moving but it's not going to be like dungeons so don't worry just keep moving.

The worst swim I have ever had was in Germiston lake for the 5150 last year so don't think the ocean will necessarily be the worst one can swim.

But take a deep breath an just keep moving. Wear yr wetsuit an take breaks if u need to. You will be fine. I promise

I just wish that race day can come now...!!!

Nervous but excited

Hi Ladies n Gents...

PLEASE HELLLPPP!!!

The swim is easier than Durbs, waves are small, there is a current especially as you turn for home after the last buoy, so save a bit.  The swim is just the warm up, take a deep breath, try not to go like a bat out of hell and get into a nice rhythm.  It will be a wetsuit swim so you can float if you need to take a breather,... and before you know it you will be out of the water and heading to transition!!

Hi Ladies n Gents...

PLEASE HELLLPPP!!!

Durban is a lot rougher than EL.  Orient beach is sort of in a bay so there are no big waves or rip currents.  Relax you will be fine.  The organizers are very much safety orientated and there are tons of lifesavers, jet skis etc to keep an eye on you.  The water can however be very cold.  

Some tips:-

-  Ensure you take part in the swim sessions in the days leading up to the event.  It makes you use to the cold water and takes off the edge of the panic come race day.  Swim to the first buoy and back a couple of times to get your line right

-  Talk to the experienced guys in during these sessions about line of sight between buoy 2 - 3 and 4 - 5 (the long stretches).  There are normally some large towers that you can use as a line

-  Race morning if at all possible warm up in the ocean.  You problem with IM starts is the adrenaline of the start along with the cold water normally causes you to hyperventilate which is not good for the rest of the day.  Warming up in the ocean for 10 minutes really helps

-  Up to the first buoy is controlled chaos so expect a kick in the face.  After the first turn get your rhythm, relax and keep thinking of your stroke.  Get in the zone.

-  Embrace the swim.  Its truly the most exciting part of the day and the only time you will not sweat, get tired and complain about the heat.  I suck at swimming yet I look forward to it the most as it reminds me that I am alive and able to do this great sport (I live in the flat lands so I never swim in the ocean except for race day)

Edited by Garfield2010

Durban is a lot rougher than EL.  Orient beach is sort of in a bay so there are no big waves or rip currents.  Relax you will be fine.  The organizers are very much safety orientated and there are tons of lifesavers, jet skis etc to keep an eye on you.  The water can however be very cold.  

-  Ensure you take part in the swim sessions in the days leading up to the event.  It makes you use to the cold water and takes off the edge of the panic come race day.  Swim to the first buoy and back a couple of times to get your line right

-  Talk to the experienced guys in during these sessions about line of sight between buoy 2 - 3 and 3 - 4 (the long stretches).  There are normally some large towers that you can use as a line

-  Race morning if at all possible warm up in the ocean.  You problem with IM starts is the adrenaline of the start along with the cold water normally causes you to hyperventilate which is not good for the rest of the day.  Warming up in the ocean for 10 minutes really helps

-  Up to the first buoy is controlled chaos so expect a kick in the face.  After the first turn get your rhythm, relax and keep thinking of your stroke.  Get in the zone.

-  Embrace the swim.  Its truly the most exciting part of the day and the only time you will not sweat, get tired and complain about the heat.  I suck at swimming yet I look forward to it the most as it reminds me that I am alive and able to do this great sport (I live in the flat lands so I never swim in the ocean except for race day)

Great insight...

Thanks for this

.........<snip>

-  Ensure you take part in the swim sessions in the days leading up to the event.  It makes you use to the cold water and takes off the edge of the panic come race day.  Swim to the first buoy and back a couple of times to get your line right This, the initial shock of cold water while being pummeled by waves is super ***. the first time I did a see swim I went in got to the backline, panicked and got out again. Only way to get used to it is to do it over and over. My suggestion is to do the swims but just go to the backline and out again (a few times) don't worry about swimming, you are fit enough

-  Talk to the experienced guys in during these sessions about line of sight between buoy 2 - 3 and 4 - 5 (the long stretches).  There are normally some large towers that you can use as a line (not experienced but know the sighting, local advantage ) First buoy just swim parallel to the breaker wall on your right. as you turn  you will see an outcrop of rock (called bats cave) swim straight for it. turn and swim towards the ICC. turn and swim towards the cranes in the harbour, last buoy swim towards the life guard tower (PM me and we can meet up sometime on raceweek and I'll show you)

-  Race morning if at all possible warm up in the ocean.  You problem with IM starts is the adrenaline of the start along with the cold water normally causes you to hyperventilate which is not good for the rest of the day.  Warming up in the ocean for 10 minutes really helps land based warm up only since the new staggered start was implemented

-  Up to the first buoy is controlled chaos so expect a kick in the face.  After the first turn get your rhythm, relax and keep thinking of your stroke.  Get in the zone. this is a lot better since the staggered start was implemented, but still happens

see my 5c in red (not at all as experienced as the Garf though)

as per the above, feel free to PM me and we can meet up during race week, I work close to the transition area.

also go to the race briefing (it's compulsory, but not monitored) it will help you calm the nerves.

Edited by fanievb

I've seen reports about roadworks on the N2 around EL.  

Has anyone driven though there recently during the holidays? All done? 

Really looking forward to this one! Being new to the sport I must say that it has the ability to bankrupt you with ease as you push for those marginal gains...

I started training for this after an unfortunate crash at the 94.7 last year where I broke 2 ribs with a couple fractures. I have little to no background on running but have some experience in the pool. I decided it would be best to get a coach and have been really impressed with Lynette Van der Merwe - providing feedback and available to answer my beginner questions! Thanks to her efforts I am now running further and faster than I though possible, all injury free, and getting personal bests in the pool on most swims. While at the same time - working on my TT position and learning how to deliver power effectively.

I have now set my eyes on the full in April! I believe this race will be a good test and indicator for the full distance.

Really looking forward to this one! Being new to the sport I must say that it has the ability to bankrupt you with ease as you push for those marginal gains...

I started training for this after an unfortunate crash at the 94.7 last year where I broke 2 ribs with a couple fractures. I have little to no background on running but have some experience in the pool. I decided it would be best to get a coach and have been really impressed with Lynette Van der Merwe - providing feedback and available to answer my beginner questions! Thanks to her efforts I am now running further and faster than I though possible, all injury free, and getting personal bests in the pool on most swims. While at the same time - working on my TT position and learning how to deliver power effectively.

I have now set my eyes on the full in April! I believe this race will be a good test and indicator for the full distance.

Still spots available for April and there will be right to the end as it only sold out at the 10th anniversary iirc.

I have no idea of your conditioning, history or ability however be careful of taking on to much too soon, this just results in fatigue and injuries.

So 25km out of 92?  Not really worth lowering tyre pressure for that?

I initially though the stretch will be longer and got some wider tires (CWC Special) not going to fit them now.

BUT, that section is really rough almost as if they forgot to add the final layer of bitumen.

i suggest you drive the section and make up your own mind. 

I initially though the stretch will be longer and got some wider tires (CWC Special) not going to fit them now.

BUT, that section is really rough almost as if they forgot to add the final layer of bitumen.

i suggest you drive the section and make up your own mind. 

Thanks Fanie