Base Layer

So Is Es

Hi All

What is the best to wear as a base layer under cycling top for winter cycling.

I sweet a lot, normally end up with a soaked top on the climbs and then cold on the down hill section followed by 2 weeks off with a chest cold.

any advice.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compressport On/Off

Best purchase so far this winter. Keeps you warm and has great moisture management.

Interesting topic , also keen to find out what everyone wears as a base layer ?

Get a baselayer made from Merino wool and wear a gilet which you can open up on the climb and zip up on the way down.

Else, go Euro-Pro and tuck a folded page from a newspaper in your jersey on the way down.

Thanks eddy , where would one get a merino based base layer ? Any names you can drop ?

I have 2 ThermaTech tops I bought from Canoe Concepts - not sure if they still sell them. They must be 5 years old or more, don't stink and still keep me warm and dry. they are super thin so look deceiving, as a base layer they are warm. I think they are made in New Zealand. Almost as good as HellyHansen. 

I am using the Mr Price base layers. Don't see the need to spend that much moola for something the same. Rode this morning and temp on the bike went zero. I am riding base layer,cycling shirt,light spring jacket and then winters jacket. Keep away from cotton as they tend to get soaked.   

Hi All

What is the best to wear as a base layer under cycling top for winter cycling.

I sweet a lot, normally end up with a soaked top on the climbs and then cold on the down hill section followed by 2 weeks off with a chest cold.

any advice.

What sort of temperature ranges are you talking? kind of important to know.... :)

I have a columbia undershirt that works well - but go over 10 deg and you will cook...

Fortunately for us early morning riders in Jhb we don't get huge temperature swings mid ride in winter if you are back home by 7am - heading out at 4:30 and planning to be back at 11 is another problem entirely.

Thanks eddy , where would one get a merino based base layer ? Any names you can drop ?

Good camping shops in SA, otherwise UK - but I suspect Merino is overkill for PE (as an ex PE boy)

Be aware of the import duties on clothing - they are HIGH - when importing stuff.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/s?q=merino

has reasonable pricing.

Thanks V12 , yeah doesnt get tooo cold here  , never dips below 4/5 degrees in the mornings , normally between 5 and 10 degrees . I just tend to use a First accent base and a spring jacket , but find nowadays (read -old/er age) that I still get a bit cold .  Perhaps I just need a nice winter riding "jacket" and recommendations ?

For me it is as follows:

>7-12 deg C

Anatomic's sleeveless vest + shirt + newspaper + gilet with fleece lined arm warmers.

Ditch the newspaper once the mercury is higher than 12 deg C.

<0-7 deg C

Vest + shirt + winter jacket + full finger gloves

<0-deg C

PJ's + duvet + ...

sixs carbon undershirts. ASG is the distributor. Bought it on a whim thinking it was just marketing,but it works very well, both in hot and cold conditions.