Arm warmers often

Knee warmers sometimes

Legwarmers just when it snows

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 ThermaTech tops I bought from Canoe Concepts - not sure if they still sell them. They must be 5 years old or more, don't stink and still keep me warm and dry. they are super thin so look deceiving, as a base layer they are warm. I think they are made in New Zealand. Almost as good as HellyHansen. 

Legendary base layers - I still have two as well (and also more than 5 years old) - they are like gold.

They're made from Merino as well, which is why they so so amazing.

Merino is by far the most superior base layer material. Knocks the socks off all modern manufactured materials - none of them can hold a candle to merino wool.

What makes Merino so uniquely amazing:

For some reason it is completely unable to hold water. So you can sweat and sweat and it will hold none of it near your body. Your outer layers might end up soaked but your inner merino layer remains dry. So you don't get that terrible blast freezer chill when descending after a long bit of climbing. Priceless.

In paddling and white water kayaking (which I did a lot of for many years) we'd paddle throughout winter in sub zero temps, running rivers where your feet break through the ice layers on the river bank as you climb into your boat to run the rapids. And the merino insulation stays 'dry'. As I say, this wool has zero ability to absorb/hold water. It's difficult to get people to believe this without seeing it for themselves.

The other amazing quality is its inability to hold odour. So with all the sweating you do on your bike, it just doesn't transfer to the merino clothing. I've been on multi day hikes in the Berg in winter, crossing rivers, climbing mountains and camping under the stars without taking my merino base kit off for days, and at the end of it the merino has no smell at all. Nada.

Lastly, its Warm! Beautifully warm. But at the same time you don't seem to overheat too much when the sun gets up later in the day. Anyway, since it doesn't hold water and doesn't hold your sweat smell, it doesn't matter, just leave it on and take the top layers off. Simple :).

Here are the merino options on Chain Reaction Cycles:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/s?q=merino+base&cat=direct

I have a couple of the One Ten's (long and short sleeve). Excellent product and doesn't come with a big price tag either.

The Endura range is apparently also very good. 

Read the customer reviews of those products to see how others back up what I've said about merino.

Lastly, here's a local SA manufacturer, Core Merino. Support our local industry and buy from them direct.

[OK that's enough from me. Starting to drone on a bit too much :)]

Edited by tombeej

sixs carbon undershirts. ASG is the distributor. Bought it on a whim thinking it was just marketing,but it works very well, both in hot and cold conditions.

very glad to hear that hey work. Also bought one in a moment of madness from buycycle ,haven't tested it yet. But have been using the first ascent polyprolene which is very warm.

Anatomic make a nice bib thing that is easy to remove and store - works like a charm to keep wind off your chest.

http://www.weardirect.co.za/kind-product/winter-wear# - the anti freeze chest warmer

My favorite piece of gear is a warm gilet - but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it - will look and revert.

the anatomic bib thing is brilliant. Never thought it would work as well as it does. And as v12man says easy to roll up and put away.

Anatomic make a nice bib thing that is easy to remove and store - works like a charm to keep wind off your chest.

http://www.weardirect.co.za/kind-product/winter-wear# - the anti freeze chest warmer

My favorite piece of gear is a warm gilet - but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it - will look and revert.

I looked at my Gilet - comes from crank-it - I know I bought it at Linden cycles

5 - 10 degrees Under Armour and Assos Intermediate jacket

< 5 degrees Assos body shell and Assos 851 Jacket

Edited by Prince

I have a couple of the One Ten's (long and short sleeve). Excellent product and doesn't come with a big price tag either.

Read the customer reviews of those products to see how others back up what I've said about merino.

Lastly, here's a local SA manufacturer, Core Merino. Support our local industry and buy from them direct.

We use the Core Merino base layers excellent products.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shot for the Core Merino link! Been hunting for local merino baselayer offering for ages and never found this. 

i got given some cold weather advice by the locals when i was cycling in alaska...  two of them relevant to cycling, the third is only nice to know.

1)  Anything made from cotton is very bad as a base layer, it gets heavy and cold and sticks to your body

2)  Wool and synthetic fabrics are way better. It doen't absorb as much moisture and even when its wet, it maintains a decent level of insulation.

3)  Silk i a great insulator.  a real silk inner blanket for a sleeping bag is much warmer than a thick wool or fleece blanket and is probably about 1/4 of the size and weight when camping, hiking or touring...

For cold mornings I have a long-sleeve tight fitting synthetic top (first ascent) and then a cycling jersey over it.  If its very cold, I wear a slightly thicker (also synthetic) long sleeve cycling top over that.  Legs are not as important for SA mornings, so a normal pair of legwarmers should be fine.

The hard part for me is feet and fingers.  I haven't found the right socks or gloves yet, especially when mountain biking and there's dew on the grass...

Just bought a couple new base layer tops from sportsmans warehouse.

its their internal brand. R250 a top. 

they feel good, more summer oriented as they are lightweight.

i like them

use it, don't use it 

• 11 months later...

Compressport On/Off

Best purchase so far this winter. Keeps you warm and has great moisture management.

hi where can one buy this?