Wattbike or CycleOps Phantom 5?

So now we have dumb, not so smart (or is that not so dumb?) and smart trainers.

I have the not so variety. It's smart but not FE-C compliant.

What are you on about?

Smart trainers - "Set resistance or power threshold through your chosen smartphone app for the most efficient workout possible." The trainer maintains power independent of RPM etc.

All other trainers provides you with you power output, but does not control it. Typically your power is RPM dependent, and you control the workload manually.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't understand the difference, then read something like DCRainmaker or similar

What are you on about?

Smart trainers - "Set resistance or power threshold through your chosen smartphone app for the most efficient workout possible." The trainer maintains power independent of RPM etc.

All other trainers provides you with you power output, but does not control it. Typically your power is RPM dependent, and you control the workload manually.

To spell it out to you in simple terms so you don't have to read DC Rainmaker and you can understand what I am on about;

There are trainers that just provide resistance.

Then there are trainers controlled by dedicated software, be it on bike or on a PC, where the software changes and managers the resistance and therefore power.  But they only work with the software they came with.  You can still buy these trainers today which are normally mid priced.

And then there are smart trainers that are platform independent. In the recent past the software suppliers made the effort to integrate these trainers into their software but now there is a standard named FE-C, for Fitness Equipment Control, that operates through BLE or ANT+ and means you can use the software of your choice on the device of your choice on the trainer of your choice.  All the newish top end trainers fall into this category.

And then there is further difference in trainers. Dedicated trainers like WattBike OR resistance trainers where you use you own bike.

Apps like Zwift might work with the middle category automatically but will work with the last category.

Is it really that hard to understand that it's not simply dumb or smart?

To come back to the original question - i.e. Wattbike or or Cycleops Phantom - the Phantom (even the Phantom 3, which isn't the "smart" version) is light years ahead.

As someone who has no vested interest (I don't own either of them, but train regularly - i.e. 2/3 times a week - on both), the Wattbike isn't even in the same universe as the Phantom. I want to train on the Phantom, but sometimes have to train on the Wattbike (VA only has Wattbikes).

And the service from Bicycle Power (the SA distributors of the Phantom) is excellent. I've only heard negative things about the service from Wattbike, but have heard only (and mainly unsolicited) good comments on the service from Bicycle Power. The guys at Bicycle Power are serious cyclists themselves, really know their stuff, are great to deal with and go out of their way to please their customers (I've bought a G3 and a GS power meter from them).

And the Phantom is on special this month as well.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

So now we have dumb, not so smart (or is that not so dumb?) and smart trainers.

I have the not so variety. It's smart but not FE-C compliant.

The CycleOps Phantom 5 is "semi smart" in that is will control the resistance but is is not ANT+ FEC so will not be compatible within Zwift.

It will allow you to connect to Zwift and do a workout i.e. ERG mode but will not function in normal sim more in terms of adjust gradient and then you change the gears. 

Rouvy is the only software that will allow the Phantom 5 to adjust the gradient and allow the rider to control their gears at the same time.