Giba Gravity Enduro

linnega

I see there is a new format for the Giba Gravity enduro on 9 July - 3 longer runs for qualification and then two shorter runs to separate the men from the boys.  Since I am only capable of sticking with the boys (the ten year olds all beat me last enduro at Karkloof), any clues on the routes for 3 initial runs.  I assume they will be less technically demanding, but hopefully still fun.

I'm also only anticipating doing the 3 longer runs just for the enjoyment thereof.

Hopefully they will be rideable and the hectic stuff will be left for 4 and 5.

Fear not, I also took a beating on the last Howick Enduro.

I'll try and find out the routes in the meantime.

You'll see me there on my white Pyga Oneten.

T

Hi guys

The format is something new we are trying. Basically its a 3 stage enduro with overall prizes for that portion of the race. 

The 2 stage "pro qualifyer" section is just a tack on to give the top boys some proper hard stuff to ride - but at the same time try and instill a sort of Pro vibe at the event - so the guys who qualify will be sent off in pairs (i think) for the final two stages as they do at Enduro World Series.

The 2 stages are then very close to the finish thereby promoting the other riders to go and watch the top 30 race the stages. This (I am hoping) will give the youngsters (and ballies like us) something to aspire to. Seeing the top guys like Tiaan and Hylton riding sections flat out is something to behold and we hope to bring a vibe to the event through this.

Its a test - so we would love your feedback at the end of it.

The 3 main stages however will use the best trails the park has to offer. each stage will be about 5 min winning time. With lots of flow and fun.

-----

This is sort of our vision for the event

3 stages of everyone doing this ...

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13493950/p5pb13493950.jpg

then this for the selected top 30

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/stage.jpg

2 stages of the pros doing this with the rest of us screaming at themhttp://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13494443/p5pb13494443.jpg

then this

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13494368/p5pb13494368.jpg

PS - we would have made it a 4 stage main event Enduro for everyone with there then still being 2 stages after that - but the system we have currently only allows for 5 stages maximum - so we were limited to 3 stages for the main event and 2 extra for the pro event. ....  we are trying this now and if the format works I am going to put a proposal in to KZNMTB to purchase more pods and chips to allow for 7 stages in line with EWS events.

Edited by nigelhicks

Sounds fun Nige, I just hope there is some "fun" stuff on the 1st 3 stages, not just flat single track?

Flat single track? At Giba? Are we thinking of the same Giba here?  :D

Flat single track? At Giba? Are we thinking of the same Giba here? :D

Nigel knows what I mean! I meant as in the odd obstacle/ rock garden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds fun Nige, I just hope there is some "fun" stuff on the 1st 3 stages, not just flat single track?

The Giba Enduro is aimed at the new and fun riders Chilternburt (like you :whistling: ).

Its not a Regional Enduro - so will be a bit easier. But yes there are some tabletops, banks, and fun stuff ..... also one in-stage climb that you will hate

Also

If you dont make the top 30 never fear - all the age category prizes will all be for the 3 stage section.

then there will be a separate Ladies and Mens prize for the 2 stage Pro section. So no one looses out.

Sounds fun Nigel. Any hints on routes? Keen to get a few practise rides in as I'll be on a demo (thanks YT - waiting for my Jeffsy to arrive). I'm on leave on Friday next week but would really like to ride some of the routes and try dial in setup before next weekend. Happy to post some Go Pro footage for all - plan to do that on race day anyway.

Sounds fun Nigel. Any hints on routes? Keen to get a few practise rides in as I'll be on a demo (thanks YT - waiting for my Jeffsy to arrive). I'm on leave on Friday next week but would really like to ride some of the routes and try dial in setup before next weekend. Happy to post some Go Pro footage for all - plan to do that on race day anyway.

You most likely won't be able to ride on Friday because they will be marking the course off.So you either going to have to try on Saturday or do what most of us do and ride blind.

You can practice on Friday -  Jethro and them will be taping so just be careful - but the park is open as usual.. ... herewith the stages ....

Just remember for SP2 you are NOT allowed to practice the start of SP2 to Lutitia's Liedown as it is a trail being run in reverse. You can access the rest of the trail from the normal Shaya Moya route.

I will send something out on facebook now as well.

post-16861-0-63027200-1467616591_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-67482200-1467616598_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-14447100-1467616604_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

The format is something new we are trying. Basically its a 3 stage enduro with overall prizes for that portion of the race. 

The 2 stage "pro qualifyer" section is just a tack on to give the top boys some proper hard stuff to ride - but at the same time try and instill a sort of Pro vibe at the event - so the guys who qualify will be sent off in pairs (i think) for the final two stages as they do at Enduro World Series.

The 2 stages are then very close to the finish thereby promoting the other riders to go and watch the top 30 race the stages. This (I am hoping) will give the youngsters (and ballies like us) something to aspire to. Seeing the top guys like Tiaan and Hylton riding sections flat out is something to behold and we hope to bring a vibe to the event through this.

Its a test - so we would love your feedback at the end of it.

The 3 main stages however will use the best trails the park has to offer. each stage will be about 5 min winning time. With lots of flow and fun.

-----

This is sort of our vision for the event

3 stages of everyone doing this ...

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13493950/p5pb13493950.jpg

then this for the selected top 30

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/stage.jpg

2 stages of the pros doing this with the rest of us screaming at themhttp://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13494443/p5pb13494443.jpg

then this

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13494368/p5pb13494368.jpg

I love your work!

Awesome - thanks Nigel.  Looks like what I was expecting.

So SP1 is start at Great Fall, onto the normal trail, past the dam, down gravity dice and all the way to the bottom.

SP2: End of Tonto's trail down the reverse section to the river, up onto the Shaymoya drop onto the narrow track.  Then I assume we go as far as the tight switchback and ride halfway back and drop onto singletrack heaven near the middle and then do the flat run to the river trail convergence.

SP3: Looks like a straight run along mainline starting with the easiest high point start under the pylon.  Assume then its the new fish and chips and onto homeward bound down to the lawns.  Assume SP3 is the uphill section in the middle of mainline.

Only part in reverse is the top of SP2 which makes it easier to ride the routes.