E-Bikes on Tygerberg MTB trail

energizer2k

Hi hubbers,

I have recently encountered a rider on the Tygerberg trail network riding an electronically assisted bike. I was causally climbing when the rider came up and passed me on a single track at a ridiculous pace. I got the fright of my life as it felt like the rider must of been doing around, 30km/h, as he passed me.

This got me thinking, should these bikes be allowed on the Tygerberg MTB trail network? Surely as it is a motorized bike it should not be? What are your thoughts?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion, and may my flame suit protect me... 

No. 

Its a motorbike!

*Unless the rider is physically unable to pedal a bicycle then maybe, but other than that no.

I think this also excludes those new spez bikes that are assisted, whereby it doesn't have an accelerator it only assists when pedaling, i reckon those are ok.  

My opinion, and may my flame suit protect me... 

No. 

Its a motorbike!

*Unless the rider is physically unable to pedal a bicycle then maybe, but other than that no.

I think this also excludes those new spez bikes that are assisted, whereby it doesn't have an accelerator it only assists when pedaling, i reckon those are ok.  

I thought that was an e-bike?

I thought that was an e-bike?

there is a difference between having to actually pedal and get assistance say now for someone who is at least trying to get into the sport as apposed to someone charging the thing up and just ripping through the trail at up to 50km/h holding an accelerator down. 

there is a difference between having to actually pedal and get assistance say now for someone who is at least trying to get into the sport as apposed to someone charging the thing up and just ripping through the trail at up to 50km/h holding an accelerator down. 

ok. agreed that a purely motor driven bike should not be allowed.

It's too soon to make a decision, isn't it? We don't know whether e-bike riders will be reckless or not.

They'll definitely be bruising some egos though.

I wouldn't mind being able to session the whole trail a few times, instead of being pooped after getting to the top of the trail twice (jonkers red route, such pain, such beauty).

e-bikes should be for commuting purposes only, the last time I was riding my road bike off road some okes were there on modified fat e-bikes. I was so embarrassed for cycling.