Review: Specialized Ambush helmet

Nick

The Ambush marks Specialized’s entrance into the growing extended coverage trail and all-mountain helmet market. Such helmets are set the tough task of increasing protection whilst remaining light, comfortable, well ventilated and practical on the trail. Specialized have managed to tick all the boxes on their first attempt.

Click here to view the article

Best fitting helmet I've tried on, but R2.6k for a foam bucket is silly money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snot bad. I have a Troy Lee A1 which I luv to bits, but it does get a bit toasty under the lid on hot days. Wonder how this one will do on a hot summers day in Jonkers. But then I guess this type of helmet is more focused on protection than ventilation.

I am in the market for a new mtb helmet. I don't want a full on enduro style helmet, nor do I want a glorified roadie helmet with a visor.

I tried this one on. It really does fit my head well, and was surprisingly light given its apparent bulk. The adjustment worked well and it remained firm on my head after a good shake.

It also looks well ventilated with plenty of holes and quite a space between your head and helmet shell, but in so doing makes it a big helmet.

To me, it was too close to an enduro helmet because of its size, so I didn't buy it. But at the same time, I am not completely off it either because it fitted so well.

I absolutely love mine ! Massively comfortable, very light, well ventilated and the kevlar webbing really makes it on of the safest, plus it looks good. It is very expensive though if we consider that an IXS, Giro or Fox trail helmet goes for R1600-1800. Still, if my wife does more riding she will be getting one too. Money well spent.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/riaanh01/20160601_224257-1_zpsjlrxjdpp.jpg

I am in the market for a new mtb helmet. I don't want a full on enduro style helmet, nor do I want a glorified roadie helmet with a visor.

I tried this one on. It really does fit my head well, and was surprisingly light given its apparent bulk. The adjustment worked well and it remained firm on my head after a good shake.

It also looks well ventilated with plenty of holes and quite a space between your head and helmet shell, but in so doing makes it a big helmet.

To me, it was too close to an enduro helmet because of its size, so I didn't buy it. But at the same time, I am not completely off it either because it fitted so well.

I reckon as long as it's comfortable and airs well, go for max protection. No making the effort then bang yourself up against your neck or the back lower of your head.

Still riding my A1 from 2 years ago and it looks like the day I bought it.  It is however permanently soaked in sweat.  It's like a mobile brain sauna.  Bunch of my riding mates ride these Spez jobbies and they love them.  If I was in the market now I'd consider them.  Bit dear though and there are many awesome sub-R2k options out there.

Still riding my A1 from 2 years ago and it looks like the day I bought it. It is however permanently soaked in sweat. It's like a mobile brain sauna. Bunch of my riding mates ride these Spez jobbies and they love them. If I was in the market now I'd consider them. Bit dear though and there are many awesome sub-R2k options out there.

Was contemplating one, but FOX shops happened to be running a sale now so went with the Metah for R1450[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Having taken a bad fall in May, and getting a major case of concussion, the importance of a good helmet was brought home when the neurosurgeon told me that I missed permanent brain damage by a whisker...

I have a Giro helmet, about three years old, and it has a visor. Can't recall the model though. I am stoked it saved my pip (on more than one occasion).

I will now lay it to rest and have the Ambush as a worthy successor to the Giro. Now, for me, protection trumps price or looks, and it seems that the Ambush ticks all the boxes pertaining to head protection.