New singletrack in Lebanon, Grabouw

Dan Dob

Tx for feedback guys. Will follow up about the signage. Think all the logging is causing havoc but really there's no excuse as we have given them lots of new signage. The place has so much potential and we'll be adding more exciting features and trails in the future-just have to to try and find the time!

The trails on the Old MacDaddy's side are severely *** in my opinion (no flow, eroded and not enough downhill) so our first mission is to make a short cut that can skip that section until we get to fixing that side up. Did any of you get to ride Zambuk trail and Owl's Roost? Would like to know how it's riding as I haven't had the chance to sample it after clearing it!

i saw no trail names, and if there are strava segments for them, then no.

We pretty much followed the Red, Black and Double Red lines, where we could

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by my ride, I should not ever wander into the wilderness by myself with just a map... my ride in bright blue

post-2231-0-57998700-1472471872_thumb.jpg

Haha! Yes, The farmers said they have not put up the new signage yet unfortauntely. Also the logging going on there is taking down some signage and causing peopl to get lost at those junctions (all you need is to miss one junction and it's tickets!). I was hoping my map could mean that people would find their own way to the new trails but perhaps that's not happening which is a pity. new signage will go up at some point and then all will be clear again!

Haha! Yes, The farmers said they have not put up the new signage yet unfortauntely. Also the logging going on there is taking down some signage and causing peopl to get lost at those junctions (all you need is to miss one junction and it's tickets!). I was hoping my map could mean that people would find their own way to the new trails but perhaps that's not happening which is a pity. new signage will go up at some point and then all will be clear again!

If you need help putting them up, I'm free or atleast I'll make a plan to be... [emoji106] [emoji12]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hubbers,

Harry and I spent the last 3 days at Lebanon again. You can check out the updated map here, showing the new trails and routes.

First day was spent trying to clear a huge bog that had developed on 'Sinus Wave'. Typing this I am reminded that we didn't remove the 'closure logs' on the trail before we left so please watch out. Anyway the bog should now be dry if no more springs decide to errr, spring up. We also changed a few corners that ruined flow. Most notably, 'Owl's roost' can now be run without a pedal stroke-any takers willing to try a pedalless AND brakeless run down there?! We also made the old 'Double Red' trail a bit more visible, lining it with rocks and cairns-it's a good long trail!

2nd day was spent extending 'Ode to Molini' by about 100m-back breaking and very slow going due to an overgrown forest with tonnes of rotting wood piles. It didn't help that we saw a beautiful, massive Puff Adder on the way into the forest! Harry was not keen on clearing those wood piles! (BTW, watch out for the rocky drop on this trail-it's tricky so best to check your run in first!)

Then we went on to add a shortcut called "Body building Elf'. Yes, it's short and hard! This shortcuts the 'Old MacDaddy side trails which are a bit of a mess at the moment. We are planning on adding a really tricky downhill on this trail at some point (Black grade).

3rd day we spend trying to put up a whole bunch of our new signage (route markers as well as trail names). We didn't get around to marking everything with the new signage but are pretty sure that no-one will get lost if they use a combination of old and new signage.

We're trying to get riders to go exploring in the area and making up their own routes to make the most of their ride at Lebanon so please go and find the alternative routes (marked orange on the map) because they are really, really cool additions to the older trails. Please leave any feedback on this forum as it really helps us fix any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived