MTB rides in George, Western Cape

edkin

I'm going to George for a week and want to explore some mtb routes. I have always cycled around the George Dam on the East side of George but am keen to explore the West side of the Town.

Is there any areas that I would need a permit to get in that I should know about?

Are there any crime hotspots that I should be aware of in order to avoid them?

Any advice would be appreciated 

Not to sure on the logistics but I really want to do Montagu pass this holiday!! Outeniqua on the road bike was amazing.

Did the Montague pass a few years ago. Some serious climbing but a awesome ride. Just make sure your brakes are up to scratch for the trip down.

Here is a Strava screengrab of a George ride (not mine), This is to the North of town and includes Montague pass, at least a bit of the way up. Rather do not ride alone there, especially on the lower parts of the Montague pass.

There is some lekker riding in that part, including some ST etc.

post-65167-0-87069800-1467291231_thumb.jpg

Guest notmyname

He's on the hub.

Edited by Bronze green boy

Thanks. Is there any reason why I should? Does he have local Knowledge that would help?

There are a couple of trails above Arbour Road in the Glenbarrie area of town.  Not too difficult to find.  Done it a couple of times when I visit my parents who still live in George.  I usually do a climb to the George mast which is a short(ish) but decent climb.  When you turn back from the mast you will go downhill on the jeep track for about 2km.  Then take a left where the fynbos meets the pine plantation.  After about 500m on the jeep track you've just taken there is some nice single track (much like Tokai singletrack before Pines were cut down).  I think you can link to Montagu Pass via Witfontein.

Hope my explanation makes sense!

Rats. I was planning on trying that Pass alone. You say thats not a good idea?

I lived in George my whole life, moved to Cape Town almost 4 years ago.

Lets just say that I would not, while living there. You pass close enough to a high-risk area to not want to be alone. Another thing, being alone when things go wrong, whether on or off the bike is a bad idea, as I recently learned the hard way.

While you're there...

you MUST make a trip to Garden Route Trail Park in Karatara. You will not regret it. Go early, and spend the day.

:thumbup: :clap: :w00t:

[edit] - what MTBeer posted while I typed...

Edited by KarlvN

It does. Thanks. I've been looking at the mast ride on Google Earth. I was looking at going out from 1st Avenue or Arbour road. 

I lived in George my whole life, moved to Cape Town almost 4 years ago.

Lets just say that I would not, while living there. You pass close enough to a high-risk area to not want to be alone. Another thing, being alone when things go wrong, whether on or off the bike is a bad idea, as I recently learned the hard way.

Thanks for the Warning. My wife might be with me and I really dont want to expose her to any danger either so it turns out I might have to give the pass a miss completely unless  I can muster up some riding buddies

Arbour road, (and now my rusty memory kicks in) you can either go left towards Witfontein on the bottom part of the loop, or hook a right and go the other way via the top part of the loop, as seen on Strava above.

I did many rides there as a laaitie. [on a then steel framed "racing bike", can't remeber the brand]

Edited by KarlvN