Park Tool DERAILLEUR HANGER ALIGNMENT GAUGE (DAG-2.2)

Christopher Brunsdon

Description: Park Tool DERAILLEUR HANGER ALIGNMENT GAUGE (DAG-2.2)

Price: R1'100 (the price of 5-8 new hangers).

URL: http://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-dag-2-2

Video: 

A couple of years ago I started a thread about hanger alignment tools and decided to eventually buy one over the weekend. Yes, they are pricey and many tool heads question the need but I decided to take the plunge after my son managed to mess up his hanger on the first day he had his new 20" MTB.

Firstly its Park Tool so comes with +5 bragging rights.

Second, its a Park Tool and well built. My grandchildren will be using this for their grandchildren. 

Its very easy to use and feels damn solid. Its a simple tool but its needs to be precise and thats what PT are good at achieving with their products. There are cheaper alternatives at half the price but they all come with the complaint of play on the tool, not exactly what you want.

It took me 10 minutes to straighten the hanger, 8 minutes was me not reading instructions and trying to figure it on the fly. But I got the hanger straight and it was magic. Shifting is 100% perfect again. I had to set the derailleur as my local LBS did not check the hanger alignment.

Was it worth the cash considering a new hanger is only R150-R200. Well I think so. I've already gone through a few on my MTB and now my son will be burning cash with his. Its also a tool that will last. Its very much like a good wheel truing stand (my next purchase), you can pay others to do it for you or you could buy your own and learn to master the art of bicycle repair.

I still recommend supporting your LBS but if like me you need to also service your kids bikes, then this might be worth considering.

http://www.parktool.com/assets/img/product/_productDetail/DAG-2.2_001.jpg

Description: Park Tool DERAILLEUR HANGER ALIGNMENT GAUGE (DAG-2.2)

Price: R1'100 (the price of 5-8 new hangers).

URL: http://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-dag-2-2

Video: 

A couple of years ago I started a thread about hanger alignment tools and decided to eventually buy one over the weekend. Yes, they are pricey and many tool heads question the need but I decided to take the plunge after my son managed to mess up his hanger on the first day he had his new 20" MTB.

Firstly its Park Tool so comes with +5 bragging rights.

Second, its a Park Tool and well built. My grandchildren will be using this for their grandchildren. 

Its very easy to use and feels damn solid. Its a simple tool but its needs to be precise and thats what PT are good at achieving with their products. There are cheaper alternatives at half the price but they all come with the complaint of play on the tool, not exactly what you want.

It took me 10 minutes to straighten the hanger, 8 minutes was me not reading instructions and trying to figure it on the fly. But I got the hanger straight and it was magic. Shifting is 100% perfect again. I had to set the derailleur as my local LBS did not check the hanger alignment.

Was it worth the cash considering a new hanger is only R150-R200. Well I think so. I've already gone through a few on my MTB and now my son will be burning cash with his. Its also a tool that will last. Its very much like a good wheel truing stand (my next purchase), you can pay others to do it for you or you could buy your own and learn to master the art of bicycle repair.

I still recommend supporting your LBS but if like me you need to also service your kids bikes, then this might be worth considering.

http://www.parktool.com/assets/img/product/_productDetail/DAG-2.2_001.jpg

My derailleur hanger broke, twice. Total cost nearly R5k. Had to replace the hanger twice, totalled the derailleur, cracked my carbon chain stay and had that repaired, had to replace the chain and the labour at 3 different shops to get it all sorted. Granted I could have got the derailluer cheaper somewhere else but I was in a hurry but I probably only over paid by R500. 

So I think you did well there. 

Good to hear it works. I have been through 2x hangers in the last year at a total of about R470. Thats nearly half the price of the tool. I'm sitting with 2 bent spare  hangers... Do you hire it out? 

Cant go wrong with PARK TOOL. I have a few of their tools.

Slightly off topic but I recently bought their spoke tension meter(TM-1) and I got it through EVOBIKES and I have only good things to say about Janos. They didn't have the item listed on their site but I emailed them anyway and this was a Thursday afternoon, On Wednesday it was delivered to my door. Janos ordered it for me and not even CRC could beat the price. EVOBIKES stock PT and even if its not on their site just mail them and ask.

I haven't used the Park Tool one myself but I have a Cyclo tools one that cost around R600.  Did the job but after 3 years the plastic part holding the slide rule cracked.  Still can be used (carefully) but I lashed out and got myself the Shimano one for R2500.  That is the Rolls Royce.  I didn't go for the Park Tool as I have been so disappointed with their (newer) dishing gauges and didn't want to buy the hangar tool blind.

You could straighten a hangar by eye in the 8&9 speed days but a workshop needs one today.

Just a note:- If you bend the hangar while riding (not crashing or bumping) the root cause is mostly chain suck so check this out before you ride again.

I haven't used the Park Tool one myself but I have a Cyclo tools one that cost around R600.  Did the job but after 3 years the plastic part holding the slide rule cracked.  Still can be used (carefully) but I lashed out and got myself the Shimano one for R2500.  That is the Rolls Royce.  I didn't go for the Park Tool as I have been so disappointed with their (newer) dishing gauges and didn't want to buy the hangar tool blind.

You could straighten a hangar by eye in the 8&9 speed days but a workshop needs one today.

Just a note:- If you bend the hangar while riding (not crashing or bumping) the root cause is mostly chain suck so check this out before you ride again.

Thanks for the advice. 

Thanks! Just added a tool to my wish list!

Like many of my bike repair tools it will hardly get used but when I need it I'm going to be grateful I've got it.