Review: YT Capra CF Comp

Nick

Before the launch of YT Industries in South Africa earlier this year, the Capra was a rare sight on our trails. Only a handful Capra's made it into the country ridden by those willing to jump through a few hoops. Despite the restricted supply, the rave reviews from international media and riders made an impact on our shores. Then there were low prices making it seem even more worthwhile trying to get that distant relative to take delivery of a bike while you were passing through Europe.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not for tall guys the TT is too short for guys like me but the Jeffsy might work. I will stick with my trusted Spitty.

Best review so far.  Thorough and I leave with a fair idea of the bike's abilities.  Thanks Nick.

Pity you couldn't test it tubeless for a true feel of it's climbing potential.

Pity the ZAR is a dogshow, negating any benefit the direct sales model offered.  However, I suppose other than crappy wheels, the entry level Capra at R49k is still superior in spec to other bikes in that price range.

Ya, great review!

I remember when the R was 11 to the E - then these bikes felt like good value. Local prices are now rather expensive thanks to the 25% loss in value the Rand has suffered since 2012. 

I sometimes wonder why I ride a 160mm travel bike - usually on some boring slog trail riding with a mate on an 11kg marathon bike - and then I think of the fun I have on my local loop. The drop offs and little jumps I seek out and the baby head strewn descent I can hit as fast as I like. 

Then I know why. 

For well under 49k you could get a Spaz Enduro on special with dropper post recently so I am not sure the value is there even at that price point. 

I agree with Nick. The Capra may be way too much bike for most of SA's trails. However, it won't stop peeps from buying one for that day or two where you might actually need the travel. It's kind of similar to buying a Defender (or other proper off-roader) for that annual trip to the bundus.

The pricing for YT only truly makes sense in Europe, where they represent crazy good value. Spec for spec and bike for bike, YT oftentimes beat out other direct sales outfits such as Canyon and Commencal.

All these models are over-priced...

As an example - The Giant Reign 2 aluminium model is R44k with a Rockshox Pike fork, Monarch rear shock and Shimano SLX/Deore drivetrain. Less cash, better spec.

The comparative carbon Giant Reign Advanced 2 is R6k cheaper than the Capra CF Comp, with full XT groupset (arguably better than the X1 groupset and RF Turbine crankset on the Capra CF Comp).

All this whilst still offering retail stores normal margins before any discounting...

That's what happens when the ZAR gets shot to shaite...

Btw. Reign 2 is USD3400. At current rates (15 or so) that equates to R51k.

So last stock must have been at a lower rate, or they're prepping for the new reign to arrive.

As for XT being better than X1... nope. Same level.

All these models are over-priced...

As an example - The Giant Reign 2 aluminium model is R44k with a Rockshox Pike fork, Monarch rear shock and Shimano SLX/Deore drivetrain. Less cash, better spec.

The comparative carbon Giant Reign Advanced 2 is R6k cheaper than the Capra CF Comp, with full XT groupset (arguably better than the X1 groupset and RF Turbine crankset on the Capra CF Comp).

All this whilst still offering retail stores normal margins before any discounting...

Giant is probably the best value you'll get anywhere out of a "normal" distribution model, until Spez does their end of season last stock sales.

Though saying that, your comparison is a bit out.

Slx / deore mix vs SRAM GX. GX is equivalent of SLX if you must compare. So YT takes that round.

Deore brakes vs SRAM DB5. Same level, though I'd prefer the DRAM

Giant P-AM2 wheels vs DT SWISS m1700. No contest.

Giant dropper vs reverb. Even contest here

Monarch vs monarch plus. No contest here either.

Pike vs Yari. More difficult though the Pike wins this even though the yari is the better chassis.

Deore crank vs RF Aeffect crank. I'll take the raceface.

So no. Not beating it hands down in the value stakes, especially considering the differences in exchange rate at time of pricing, most likely.

Current USD price is USD 3400 for the Reign. YT is at current rates USD 3,333.

Next time, just check the facts before firing that shot.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Jeez Myles, I thought Sherrif quit the Hub...

Lol. Someone was wrong on the Internet.

But yeah dude. Shaite is overpriced for us plebs in ZOOMAVILLE. When the bike I bought for less than 50k last year now retails for north of 80k (reign advanced 1) purely due to the USD movements (okay, there was a USD400 price increase as well) then I start worrying.

But it's all explainable if you look at the numbers.

Carbon frames are still going for about USD3000 on average. This means that your super bike frame was 32k this time last year or so. Now, it's 45k.

Mehness.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Not so sure bout them numbers... 20% rand depreciation does not account for 60% price increase. Methinks there may be a little bit of piss taking somewhere in the distribution chain.

Not so sure bout them numbers... 20% rand depreciation does not account for 60% price increase. Methinks there may be a little bit of piss taking somewhere in the distribution chain.

Had another look. USD price at the time of purchase was $4,800 and USD was 11.5 so that equals ZAR 55,200. I got it for less than 50k due to some specials going on at the time.

Fast forward to now. USD is around 15 to the ZAR and the USD price is $ 5,200. That's R 78k so ja a little out, but at 16:1 that moves to R 83,200. I think the last batch was brought in at around the 16:1 mark, so if you take those figures, it's a 51% price increase. 8.3% of that was due to the increase in USD price, the rest was solely exchange rate movements. 

The only piss taking is in the exchange rates and time of purchase. If you import when the USD hits 16, you get reamed and you need to pass that on to the consumer unless you've done some forward pricing and paid before the goods hit our shores. Likewise, taking recent weeks into account - if you waited just ONE week, you'd have either saved or paid 10% more in one fell swoop by delaying payment a bit. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew