Interview: Ivan Zimmermann riding the Silk Route

News bot

Ivan Zimmerman is riding the 2016 Silk Route cycle tour from Beijing to Istanbul to raise money for university education in South Africa. His marathon journey started on 15 May and will continue until 5 October – covering 12,280km of gruelling terrain.

Since Zimmerman will be covering around 125km per day, he is asking his supporters each to pledge R125 to the #Pledge125 project.

Click here to view the article

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure i want to support any south african tertiary student after what's happened on university campuses over the last year or so...particularly, since students are adults that can generate income by working part-time.

Good luck with your journey / adventure nonetheless.

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure i want to support any south african tertiary student after what's happened on university campuses over the last year or so...particularly, since students are adults that can generate income by working part-time.

Good luck with your journey / adventure nonetheless.

Who says he supported what was happening at the campuses?

• 4 months later...

In-cre-di-ble!

All the help that students can get is welcome - they are not all smashing campuses or able to generate their own funds - particularly in the smaller university towns.