Time in Saddle + Training Programme + Nutrition and Recovery = Race Results?

Good day Hubbers,

I was wondering what combination of time in saddle + training programme + nutrition and recovery would allow me to not only improve, but become competitive in road races? I'm using the following scale as a framework, time refers to average finishing time for a road race (100km) : 

Time:    Category:

2:45       Pro

3:00       Serious Amateur

3:30       Amateur

4:00       Below Average Amateur

5:00       Novice

If someone has a programme that they swear by or know of the components to look at and incorporate please add that in the comments. 

Essentially what I would like to know is what each of the above racers (Pro, Serious Amateur, Amateur, Below Average Amateur and Novice) would need to do to achieve the times quoted above?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

PS: I have visited, seen and tested all the Bicycling, ASG, Ride, CTS, Training Peaks and Strava programmes. I am looking for feedback from people's own experience, who work for a living and who have lives off the bike too. 

• 5 months later...

Kinda surprised at the lack of response on this. But then again, maybe not. I don't think too many folk would actually publish the recipe that they might feel give them an edge... However, I too would appreciate some wisdom as I have been off the MTB saddle for quite some time and would like to come back with a bang (or at least a mild pop). 

So, rather than starting a whole new thread on training,  how about some pointers at least guys? For instance:

What exercises / methods could I use to improve my:

Cardio / stamina

Leg strength

Upper body strength

Core strength

Mental preparation

Did I leave anything out?

Please help a fat(tish) dude get back on the race track without the usual humiliation that accompanies the absence.

Cheers!

The same type of question as how long is a piece of string ...

What works for one person might not have exactly the same result.  You have already brushed on most of the aspects and it is a combination of it that will improve your time.  You just have to add genetics to the list as well.

Hard work, commitment, making the right choices 95% of the time instead of 50%. No beer....

I suppose like anything it comes down to having a goal and doing everything you can to achieve that goal. 

'the odd beer/pie/cheat/cigarette/lazy day etc won't hurt me' needs to become a thing of the past and you need to make time because if you tell others and yourself 'I just have no time' you arent following rule number 1... doing everything you can to achieve said goal.

It depends on how much time you wish to put on the saddle.

Last year 2016 i did my first Argus(3:42) with a 200hours weekly on the bike and lots of hill climbing training.

I don't have enough time to put in some serious training,but i have ditched the car to the garage and cycle to work(roughly doing a total 170km by Friday);Saturday and Sunday I do the Cradle with the group,I end up doing 300km a week.

The above works for me,maybe you need to experiment and find out what works for you.

Time to complete a road race is tough to compare yourself due to the amount of influencing factors.

If you have access to a power meter, that is by far the best way to measure yourself against other cyclists. A p/w ratio of anything higher than 5w/kg is necessary to race among the elites.

Next thing is your training plan.

I'm a Student through Unisa, work a full time job and fit in my training.

If your life is that or even more hectic you better love your IDT. That is what will get you your times in races. Lots and lots of intervals and your distance on saturdays and sundays.

To give you and idea my training averages around 10-15hrs pw. I started with my coach last year december just after the 94.7

I punctured but had a moving time of 3:05. This year I dropped it to 02:37

My avg power went from around 3.2 w/kg to about 4.2w/kg. This was after doing HR only training for 4months and switching over to power in mid April.

But like someone else said, what works for me might not work for you.

Best thing to do is get a coach who can structure a plan for you

It depends on how much time you wish to put on the saddle.

Last year 2016 i did my first Argus(3:42) with a 200hours weekly on the bike and lots of hill climbing training.

I don't have enough time to put in some serious training,but i have ditched the car to the garage and cycle to work(roughly doing a total 170km by Friday);Saturday and Sunday I do the Cradle with the group,I end up doing 300km a week.

The above works for me,maybe you need to experiment and find out what works for you.

That's some serious training there... That's longer than a Beatles themed session. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7wqTzONvaY

200 hours weekly? Did I read that right?

Eish,sorry man.typo error,it was suppose to be 200km,where would i find that time to be on the saddle. :eek:

Good day Hubbers,

I was wondering what combination of time in saddle + training programme + nutrition and recovery would allow me to not only improve, but become competitive in road races? I'm using the following scale as a framework, time refers to average finishing time for a road race (100km) : 

Time:    Category:

2:45       Pro

3:00       Serious Amateur

3:30       Amateur

4:00       Below Average Amateur

5:00       Novice

If someone has a programme that they swear by or know of the components to look at and incorporate please add that in the comments. 

Essentially what I would like to know is what each of the above racers (Pro, Serious Amateur, Amateur, Below Average Amateur and Novice) would need to do to achieve the times quoted above?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

PS: I have visited, seen and tested all the Bicycling, ASG, Ride, CTS, Training Peaks and Strava programmes. I am looking for feedback from people's own experience, who work for a living and who have lives off the bike too. 

The times you list per skill group is very generalized. Many factors influence the time such as elevation gain, wind factor, and whether you can stay in the group. 

My most recent times (which I'm willing to divulge :blush: )

• 947 2016, roughly 1400m elev gain, lost the bunch (AL) - 2:51
  • R4V 2016, roughly 600m elev gain, HUGE wind, lost the bunch (AL) - 3:21
  • Emperors 2016, 500m elevation gain, no wind, stuck with the bunch til the end (AL) - 2:20
  • Amashova (2015), plenty elevation gain, bit of wind near the end, lost the bunch (BL)- 2:59 

My recommendations:

• 8 hours sleep per night. Period.
  • TITS, whether it be on the road, trail or indoor. 10 hrs per week or more
  • Do an FTP test, find out you power/weight. Training with power is the new fad, and it works. Wattbike, Tomahawk, smart IDT or a smart trainer spinning studio.
  • A detailed, dedicated diet. Dropping weight is essential. Less sugars, more protein, plenty greens and H20. 
  • Making your bike as light as possible. 
  • Learning to keep up with a semi compact crank 52/36. No more compacts. 
  • Intervals. Many hills. 
  • A patient spouse/SO. 
  • Join a club with competitive Vets (I assume you're of Vets age). 
  • Read as much as you can about as much as you can. 
  • Don't be afraid to talk to people who have tens of thousands of km in their legs. 
  • Race as often as you can afford. That is where you learn how to race.
  • Recover like a pro. Foam roller, stretching, recovery rides (20-25km/h).