Thank you for the kind words Jaco-fiets. We are glad the articles are being well-received.

Are there any other topics you would like us to cover?

Many of us train with power in parallel with heart rate.  I always find it helpful to scrutinise both numbers.  Perhaps a handy article on how best to interpret heart rate numbers in relation to the various stages of recovery, fatigue, illness etc.

Many of us train with power in parallel with heart rate.  I always find it helpful to scrutinise both numbers.  Perhaps a handy article on how best to interpret heart rate numbers in relation to the various stages of recovery, fatigue, illness etc.

Great suggestion. We actually use the relationship between heart rate and power to track progression and fatigue too.

It is also important to consider your own perception of effort (how hard the exercise feels), especially when tracking fatigue, but we will explain further in a following article.

Please keep the topic suggestions coming guys.

Hi

Same great insight!

Is it true that as one gets fitter, your body becomes more efficient at using oxygen / or your heart rate doesn't spike as much or quickly? So hitting a given heart rate zone requires more effort? If that makes sense.

Hi

Same great insight!

Is it true that as one gets fitter, your body becomes more efficient at using oxygen / or your heart rate doesn't spike as much or quickly? So hitting a given heart rate zone requires more effort? If that makes sense.

Hi Cadenceblur

Thanks for the kind words and the question.

As you become 'fitter' you will require less oxygen to do the same amount of work.

For example, cycling at 250 Watts might result in an oxygen consumption (VO2) of 40 ml/min/kg. Then following a few weeks of training, the same workload (250 W) might only result in an oxygen consumption of 35 ml/min/kg.

In other words the 'metabolic cost' of cycling at 250 W is reduced.

Heart rate responds in a similar fashion and if we stick to our example above, heart rate might reduce from 160 bpm at 250 W to 150 bpm after a few weeks of training.

One must be careful when considering a reduced heart rate at the same power output. If the exercise feels harder and your heart rate is slow to respond, this could indicate fatigue. So a reduced heart rate at the same power output may not always be a positive sign.

I hope that answers your question

Yes thanks. I've picked this up. When doing a series of intervals heart rate generally escalates over the period of the session. Not dropping to the same level during recovery. This depends on length of the intervals and the recovery period in between.

What I've also found that when comparing segments on Strava over time, times decrease as does the HR.

How to interpret/setup/configure/personalize data in software i.e. performance management chart (PMC) from TrainingPeaks or any other free software.

Hi Malcolm

We hope you are well.

Thanks for the suggestion. Great topic and one that we think would benefit a lot of other Hub users.

I think we all have our own preferences for our own data and for each of our athletes, but perhaps we could compile a 'best of' article.

We are slowly moving over to Golden Cheetah for most of our analyses, but most of the software options can produce similar graphs or tables.

Just throwing it out there, but what about a workshop where you bring your laptop and data? Is that something that would interest you?

Thanks again for the interaction.

Hope all is well your side.

Hi Guys, I think that the idea of a workshop would go down well with those of us that like to know a little more about what and why we are doing certain types of training...

One question: How do you interpret the PMC when using a combination of HR & Power or cant you? In this instance should you rather just use the Stress chart in GC?