OUTSurance knocks cyclist

G-J

Money in the bank. Awaiting new bike. What an unnecessary issue. ..

Explain a bit more, where did this money come from?

Outsurance or your own insurer?

BTW, glad for you it got resolved (and quite quickly too)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Outsurance, Dial Direct, First for Women, MiWay, Budget Insurance, Auto & General, VirSeker

or any of these "direct insurance schemes scams"

Rather go SANTAM through a broker. YES, you will pay more, but you will also GET more.

I must be honest I have never had issues with Outsurance, they stole my son's bike out of the yard, no sign of any break-in, I told them they could have carried it over the fence and they paid, other claims went smooth.

I had an accident in 2008 with my then freshly paid off car. The car was recovered, and then I was called the next day by my insurer (Dial Direct - to where Budget themselves moved me) to be informed I had no claim as I was only covered 3rd party fire and theft, no longer comprehensive. This because I bought a new car and got a better deal elsewhere and told my wife to cancel the existing policy (with Budget). They called me back and said they will match my quote, to which I agreed. I asked under same conditions, and was told yes, all the same, except now through Dial Direct.

After a long and protracted battle, I gave up and moved to SANTAM. I went to see the broker to tell him my story, and said the only reason I am paying more, is for the pleasure to come give him a hard time should I get any flack in future.

This was in 2008. and I am still with them, no regrets. I have everything insured with Santam, and will NEVER look at direct insurance through these scammers, ever again.

As soon as you admit liability, your insurer can reject all cover as you then take away their options for apportionment of the blame. I suspect thats probably what happened here. As she immediately admitted guilt (regardless of what happened) Out probably rejected her claim and indirectly your claim against them too.(the clause is usually under general exclusions or the your responsibility section of the policy wording)

Geez, this is why you have insurance even if you are at fault. Typical insurance companies always try not to pay.

Years ago a combi pulled into a cycling lane and stopped dead in front of me! Needless to say I had no time to stop and launched through the rear hatch. Long story short, the insurance of the driver (Hollard) was trying to bully me as well, sent them a lawyers letter and summons to pay the claimed amount within 7 days! The money was in my account 3 days later!

Years ago a combi pulled into a cycling lane and stopped dead in front of me! Needless to say I had no time to stop and launched through the rear hatch. Long story short, the insurance of the driver (Hollard) was trying to bully me as well, sent them a lawyers letter and summons to pay the claimed amount within 7 days! The money was in my account 3 days later!

That's how they roll. To see if you have the resolve and resources to get what is rightfully yours in the first place. Hey, if all humans were honest, there would be no works for lawyers besides doing paperwork.

Auto & General, Dial Direct, Virseker, Budget Insurance, 1st for women, ibuyeco, unity, 1life, hippo, ...... all the same company, Telesure from Douw Steyn. 

Auto & General, Dial Direct, Virseker, Budget Insurance, 1st for women, ibuyeco, unity, 1life, hippo, ...... all the same company, Telesure from Douw Steyn. 

sort of explains why he chose such a knob name for his development in GP.

Steyn City

I had a problem with Outsurance when I was T boned in town by one of their drivers doing 80km/h in town. My insurance company and I got calls and hounds from them claiming I should cover their excess and additional charges because I was at fault. 

Police reports and everything else stated a T bone, he was going a little quick. 

Then I get these hounds calling saying I am going to be sued and wa wa wa, they went away in the end, as I just ignored them and they had no case.

Personally i haven't had any problems with outsurance . Actually just got paid out from having a car written off.

Can't say the same about santam years back.

I bought a new Garmin car nav system with a built in dashcam. Amazing what it records. Sorry to say but it has become necessary. Had a fight a while back with an insurance company that claimed I had sideswiped a security car. The guards said I had bumped there mirror. We stood on the side of the road and could clearly see no part of my vehicle could touch their mirror. I asked about the damage down the side of their vehicle and they told me it happened when they hit a gooseneck. Two weeks later the insurance company was on my case. Eventually I asked for the case number since if it was an accident they must have reported it. They went away after that. But learnt my lesson. Dashcam always on now

then contact your insurance company - believe it that your insurance don't want to pay for your bike if they can get outsurance to pay instead .

"insurance is like keeping a rabid pet dog in your house that you hate and resent feeding .....it is however very useful to keep the other rabid dogs out of your house - anonymous

Let your insurance handle it. You will have to pay the excess and a higher premium if necessary, but it will be cheaper than trying to go after them yourself.

Happened to be a few years back, lady also accepted responsibility, and afterwards her insurance (Outsurance) sent me a statement basically saying: She never was near the scene of the accident, I was at fault, and there is nothing wrong with my car because there never was an incident.

Took my insurance a year to sort it out, but in the end I did get the excess back and they lowered the premiums - so all it costed me was higher premiums for the year while they chased the matter.

Good luck!!!!

Ombudsman! Get them involved!

PLEASE NOTE:  You have to follow the internal complaint procedure FIRST before referral to any ombud.

Their complaints handling procedure should be on the web / their homepage.

PM me if you need more assistance.

Personally, i would avoid every single one of them

All insurance companies are the same. They try and not pay out especially if it is a third party claiming against their insured, i.e the driver in this case. Do not be put off. 

If she was negligent they will be forced to pay for your damages which she caused ( assuming she is covered and they have not repudiated). This will include the damage to your bike. You also have an RAF claim for your injuries and medical costs. 

As some one else has said, your claim lies against the driver. Her statement can be used against her. Compile a letter of demand listing all your damages and demand payment from her. If there is no payment, have a summons issued. Probably a good idea to go and see an attorney to assist.

About 20 years ago I had a similar thing happen to me. Santam was on the other side and they paid out as did the RAF for my limited injuries.