Import duties on cycling shoes

F1richard

Hey Guys

Anyone know what duties , vat etc. are if I import a pair of cycling shoes from chain reaction or Evans . cycles ? I want a pair of giro empire slx shoes in orange and no one in SA seems to have a pair in size 45

Thanks

Richard

Short answer: Too much

Long Answer:

Price of shoes = S
45% import duty

10% "upliftment fee"

14% VAT

Import duty = 45% x S
VAT = [importDuty + (110% x S)] x 14%

TOTAL = S + Import duty + VAT (+shipping)

That simplifies to

Imported cost = 167% quoted price. (excl shipping)

Edited by Koei

Two of the most expensive things to import are shoes and cloths. They going to hit you on S1 P2A and B. 

That's on top of the Duties and 10% atv and 14% vat

Two of the most expensive things to import are shoes and cloths. They going to hit you on S1 P2A and B.

I use old towels to make cloths.....

Lol....sorry....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to be less, in the old days :(

Something something about limiting made-in-a-sweatshop clothes imports to SA...keeping our own industry alive and whatnot.

But have a look at runnerinn. They have a lot of shoes on sale at the moment, including athletic spikes. Some of their shoes are actually cheaper (After tax and shipping) than the SA RRP, but you have to do your homework.

Years ago I brought in some cycling shoes, nice Diadora MTB skoens. Got to the post office and was disgusted at the R460 levy I had to pay.

That being said, a month ago I brought in two pairs of trail running shoes from China, both pairs wrapped up together. Levy was R42.

I think the catch is this... the shoe box. On AliExpress some sellers say they ship their items without a shoe box as it somehow lets the shoes come through cheaper. So if you are gonna buy, tell the seller(s) to wrap them nicely but to keep the box.

shoes will pay 30% and the spiked athletic ones will pay 15%

if they're made in Europe and you have the correct paperwork they will be duty free, are any shoes still made in the EU?

if you pay 30% duty your vat will be 19.6%

so overall just work on 50% on your new Giro's plus shipping, handling etc.

what's the calculation breakdown for that Lexx?

what's the calculation breakdown for that Lexx?

It Depends on what you import. But lets say for example you imports shoes, and the normal duties are 30%. And according to S1P2B the Anti-Dumping duty says that you must also pay 45%, then you will pay 10%atv + 14% vat + normal 30% duties according to Sh1P1 and then on top of that, 45% for S1P2B.

Hope this makes sense.

I bought a pair of mavic road shoes off CRC in March, was R830, courier costs R150...

price paid to post office and CRC once received equals R1428.00