What should I do?

GysMalan44

Hi Guys

I recently bought a set of wheels from a guy who advertised them on the HUB.  Not being a professional wheel builder I tried to asses the wheels for anything strange on them after I met the seller with the wheels.

After some inspection I noticed a small dent on the rear wheel, I made it clear to the seller and he looked me in the eye saying that it has no effect on the wheel or the tubeless ability of it.

Taking his word for it (*stupid of me I know*) I bought the wheels and fitted them to my bike, not long into my 1st ride I noticed a bump coming from the back, I then went off the trail and onto some smooth tar road, here the bump was very noticeable.

After have the back wheel assessed by two LBS's in my area, It comes down to a bust rear wheel due to a massive flat-spot on it.  The seller however refuses to accept that he sold me a busted wheel-set, and refund me or replace the rear wheel. And says I can take him to court if I want my money back.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call a spade a spade, name said hubber and we can get the second side to the three- sided story.

Going to court over wheels.... Thats pretty big talk from the seller.

You've just paid school fees. If someone is so scaly and desperate that their reputation is worth a couple hundred bucks, name them and let them wear that cost, while you suck up the cost of the wheels.

Agree on just getting a new rim and having the wheel built up again and accepting the school fees.

Also, name and shame this person so we can all be aware he is dodgy and give him a poor rating with reasons.

It's always a good idea to get another opinion when buying something that you are not sure about.

Most of my wheels have small dents from bottoming out the rim, doesn't make much difference as long as the tire is OK. So are you sure it is the rim and not the tire?

I would tend to agree with the other hubbers, rebuild the back wheel with new rim and move on. Give the seller a bad rating and explain why.

You've just paid school fees. If someone is so scaly and desperate that their reputation is worth a couple hundred bucks, name them and let them wear that cost, while you suck up the cost of the wheels.

That's what I cant understand.  Just spent R2 500 on a new rim and rebuild on the rear wheel with Louis from Knipe Racing.

Wheels are risky second hand purchases, mtb even more so.

Get a new rim, build it over. Get on with life. You're stillway ahead in costs over buying new.

But feel free to out this chop, trade ratings too

@lets make MTB Gr8 again.

After almost 3 weeks of mails between myself and wheel builders I've decided to do just that.  Louis from Knipe Racing helped me out with a new rim and build, R2 500 later so now I'm ready to NAME and SHAME, how do I go about doing so?  I've got all our conversations, and also had Matt from TheHub pull up he's add on the wheels where it clearly stated it's bombproof and nothing about a massive defect on the rear rim.

Does the wheel have a flat spot or the tire?  

At 1st I though it was the tyre as I had a plug in the middle of the running surface, but then after taking the tyre off and putting the wheel on a 'wheel truing machine" both machanincs said the rear rim is completely f*ckd!!

Just got it back yesterday after getting it rebuild with a brand new rim from Mavic.

Agree on just getting a new rim and having the wheel built up again and accepting the school fees.

Also, name and shame this person so we can all be aware he is dodgy and give him a poor rating with reasons.

It's always a good idea to get another opinion when buying something that you are not sure about.

Alan D

Yeah it's tough school fees that as I've been waiting more than a year to buy a decent 2nd hand wheelset.

How do I go about to name and shame?  Also would like to make sure his rating get affected as I'd hate to hear this happen to any of you guys on here.