What should I do?

GysMalan44

Hey Gys, sorry to hear that you got a *** deal.

Unfortunately, going to court over wheels is a waste of your money. However, it's the principle of the matter and I can understand that you want retribution.

It's good that other people get warned about dodgy sellers, this is a community after all.

Post his name here, or even better, a link to his Hub profile.

The Hub works in mysterious ways, just ask dodgy tyre selling selfie man. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the seller.

I find all of this a ridiculous version of events.

To begin with, I used the wheelset right up to the time of the sale, selling them only to upgrade to a wider rims(the mavics are 19mm internal). Why would I sell unrideable wheels, that just doesn’t make sense.

So Gys’ dissatisfaction was surprising, I thought it was a case of buyers remorse or that he damaged the wheels himself.  I was not willing to take the risk of blindly shipping the wheels back returning the payment after his threats.

In fact I am quite sick of being sworn at and harassed. Here is an extract of the email that I sent to him that should provide some context into the matter.

I sold the wheels to you in good faith and in working condition. All representations made regarding the wheels were clear and open. I have been using the wheels in the same condition for many months and they are by no measure unrideable.

You must realise that you bought second hand wheels, the price advertised was at R 5000.00 a price that takes into consideration the condition of the wheels. I was clear to you about the dent on the back wheel, I pointed it out to you. You clearly acknowledged this as you then offered a reduced price of R4500.00 on account of the dent, after having inspected the wheel thoroughly. I then accepted your offer.

No false representations were made regarding the wheels. My local bike shop confirms that the wheels were true and the dent was not significant enough to warrant a replacement of the rim. I can confirm this as I happily used the wheels in the same condition for months, they are nowhere near falling apart and certainly serve their function adequately. If you are not satisfied with the wheels based on their condition that you were fully aware of, it would be a non-material mistake on your part.

If you purchased a new set of Mavic Crossmax ST wheels, for which the lowest price I can find is R12 900. Then you would have reason to expect every aspect of the wheels to be in perfect and new condition. However you bought second hand wheels for a third of their new value, a price which you agreed on based on the condition of wheels. “

Edited by avalanx

I am the seller.

I find all of this a ridiculous version of events.

To begin with, I used the wheelset right up to the time of the sale, selling them only to upgrade to a wider rims(the mavics are 19mm internal). Why would I sell unrideable wheels, that just doesn’t make sense.

So Gys’ dissatisfaction was surprising, I thought it was a case of buyers remorse or that he damaged the wheels himself.  I was not willing to take the risk of blindly shipping the wheels back returning the payment after his threats.

In fact I am quite sick of being sworn at and harassed. Here is an extract of the email that I sent to him that should provide some context into the matter.

I sold the wheels to you in good faith and in working condition. All representations made regarding the wheels were clear and open. I have been using the wheels in the same condition for many months and they are by no measure unrideable.

You must realise that you bought second hand wheels, the price advertised was at R 5000.00 a price that takes into consideration the condition of the wheels. I was clear to you about the dent on the back wheel, I pointed it out to you. You clearly acknowledged this as you then offered a reduced price of R4500.00 on account of the dent, after having inspected the wheel thoroughly. I then accepted your offer.

No false representations were made regarding the wheels. My local bike shop confirms that the wheels were true and the dent was not significant enough to warrant a replacement of the rim. I can confirm this as I happily used the wheels in the same condition for months, they are nowhere near falling apart and certainly serve their function adequately. If you are not satisfied with the wheels based on their condition that you were fully aware of, it would be a non-material mistake on your part.

If you purchased a new set of Mavic Crossmax ST wheels, for which the lowest price I can find is R12 900. Then you would have reason to expect every aspect of the wheels to be in perfect and new condition. However you bought second hand wheels for a third of their new value, a price which you agreed on based on the condition of wheels. “

Do the right thing and refund the bloke....he is clearly not happy with the wheels.

PS good man for coming here and responding...  :thumbup:

Thing is if the wheels were in good enough riding condition then it would imply that the LBS he took it to, that also said they were no good and subsequently rebuilt the wheel with a new rim, pulled a fast one?

A friend points out to me that the police, for example, have no interest in getting rid of crime because then they wouldn't have jobs. Lawyers aren't interested in settling a case, because that means they can't charge for every "perusal of correspondence". 

I'm not suggesting that the bike shop was wrong, but everyone answers a problem in a different way. Maybe, by their standards and experience, the rim was the problem. Maybe another bike shop would have a different view. Wie weet?

But I guess that if the wheels were bought with knowledge of the defect, that's a form of acceptance of whatever consequences may come of it.

IMHO - the buyer bought the wheels having inspected them himself with his own eyes and hands therefore I feel this is a case of willing buyer willing seller...if he had bought them blind then perhaps different story. The buyer was not scammed nor duped if the dent was pointed out and taken note of and then the price negotiated based upon the inspection....voetstoets comes to mind...after all you are buying 2nd hand not so? If you want perfect then buy new...

I don't think the seller has any obligation to refund the buyer based on the info available...I also feel that the LBS may have seen this one coming i.e. a small dent that is not critical to the function of the wheel suddenly turns into a huge problem...did the shop even try and remove the "flat spot" buy loosening off the spokes and rebuilding the wheel? I have managed to get wheels pretty damn close by doing so...So my thinking is the shop reckoned here's a chance to make some cash by selling a new rim.

I reckon there is a possibility the LBS took a chance by saying the wheel needs to be replaced, the seller stated that he had been riding the wheel in that state for a while and it had no impact. The seller also pointed the dent out and the price was negotiated based on the state of the wheels. The OP inspected the wheels first hand so I cant see how he was "scammed".