Any Hiking Enthusiasts (Not Hitchhikers ;) )

ZakAttak

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hike report;

So hiked up Sentinel (chain ladder route from Witsieshoek) with my son who starts high school, this past weekend. Started around 11:00 from the car park.

That's it, happy hiking everyone!

Happy New year     

Awesome! Planning on taking my 10 year old daughter up there for the Sunday/Monday of easter weekend in April.

Do they limit the numbers on the trail, do we need to make a pre-booking or can we just rock up and pay for a permit at Sentinel car park? I plan to drive up early Sunday morning, park at Sentinel car park, spend the night up at the falls and then come back down Monday and drive home or camp at Mahai for the night (my favourite spot).

Planning on getting to the Berg regularly this year. My 'happy place'. I need to do the Tugela Gorge trail on one of my trips this year.

Edited by ridr

Awesome! Planning on taking my 10 year old daughter up there for the Sunday/Monday of easter weekend in April.

Do they limit the numbers on the trail, do we need to make a pre-booking or can we just rock up and pay for a permit at Sentinel car park? I plan to drive up early Sunday morning, park at Sentinel car park, spend the night up at the falls and then come back down Monday and drive home or camp at Mahai for the night (my favourite spot).

Planning on getting to the Berg regularly this year. My 'happy place'. I need to do the Tugela Gorge trail on one of my trips this year.

Hi Ridr,

There's no pre-booking system, so my advice from this weekend is as follows;

- Try and pass through Phutaditshaba before 07:00, traffic is hectic through Qua-Qua on weekends

- Gate entry is R100 at Witsieshoek, the hike will cost R180 for both of you.

- The road is inaccessible to normal sedan cars, so you need something like an SUV or 4x4 (my RAV4 2WD handled it OK). Actually the road is atrocious in sections and fantastic in others. The first 2 km's is particularly bad, so be prepared. 

-Once at the car park you need to complete the overnight register with full details of your intended stay and return ETA etc. 

- Give Amphitheater Backpackers a try, we absolutely loved the facilities. They have a jacuzzi, the food is tops and deluxe room with dinner cost R500pp. They have cheaper options and I'll do that the next time as their communal kitchen has braais, gas, everything and not so far out the way as Mahai.

- You probably know this; April is already very cold up top, so pack the warm stuff and we look forward to your report!

• 10 months later...

So, finally time to hike - only a few months later than planned! Now instead of the icy cold we have to deal with thunderstorms for the next 2 days probably - will arrive at Sentinel car park tomorrow morning by 9am hopefully and assess the situation...

Any advice / comments about safety camping up at the falls / ranger's hut? Have heard mixed comments about Basotho up there and thefts in summer months....

So, finally time to hike - only a few months later than planned! Now instead of the icy cold we have to deal with thunderstorms for the next 2 days probably - will arrive at Sentinel car park tomorrow morning by 9am hopefully and assess the situation...

Any advice / comments about safety camping up at the falls / ranger's hut? Have heard mixed comments about Basotho up there and thefts in summer months....

Hi ridr, me again...

Your shoes must be your pillow so that the herdsmen don't steel it. I actually always hike with a pair of slops or old takkies, just for in-case my primary shoes go.

Pack some fruit, when you encounter the herdsmen up top they love an apple or banana as a friendship gift.

Camp left of the river on the opposite side of the ranger hut, which has no roof for some years now. The morning view from there is spectacular and unfortunately gives you a cellphone signal, you can turn your phone off at least.

Ranger hut should be used in very poor weather only, however, it gets cold at that altitude whet it's wet

Enoy the hike and hope your little girl enjoys the trip!  

What an amazing 2 days!! My 10 year old daughter was incredible. She said it was the best birthday present ever. And we had a proper party (ice-creams, cappuccinos, chips, chocolate on the drive there and back, dinner consisted of condensed milk and Bubbly chocolate, and more chocolate for breakfast :) I'll post an update with pics when I get a chance...

• 3 months later...

This is the most amazing looking trail which needs to be done.

It just shows you that every inch of our coast and mountains is explorable.

That cave is something else.

What are some decent slack packing hiking trails?

I've done a few more serious hikes, but I'd like to take my partner on one. She's never done an overnight hike.

Initially I was thinking about going to the Drakensberg and camping at one of the sites there and going for a 2 day hike there and heading back. But I think the slack packing might be a better approach.

What are some decent slack packing hiking trails?

I've done a few more serious hikes, but I'd like to take my partner on one. She's never done an overnight hike.

Initially I was thinking about going to the Drakensberg and camping at one of the sites there and going for a 2 day hike there and heading back. But I think the slack packing might be a better approach.

The Berg is great for a weekend

Monks Cowl cave as an overnight is top class.This is a winner.She need to be fit though.

Keith Bush Camp if you want to do the tent thing next to a stream.Guaranteed to impress.

The Berg is great for a weekend

Monks Cowl cave as an overnight is top class.This is a winner.She need to be fit though.

Keith Bush Camp if you want to do the tent thing next to a stream.Guaranteed to impress.

I did the marble bath overnight hike a long time ago.

How busy is it lately and is it still a nice overnight hike?

Will check out Monks Cowl and Keith Bush Camp as well

Sorry

Never done it

• 1 month later...
Did the Wolfberg Arch this weekend again, up through the 'Narrow crack', and down via the 'Wide crack', and slept over at the Arch. 

Was an excellent weekend, the hike was pretty busy, not seen as many sleeping over at the Arch before. We had a moonless clear evening sky  - with a breathtaking view of the Milky Way.

Did the customary dip at Maalgat afterwards .... the water was little chilly though.

Awesome to have the Cederberg so close to Cpt.    :)

post-20017-0-00287500-1620225064_thumb.jpg

post-20017-0-88409700-1620225075_thumb.jpg

post-20017-0-12920500-1620225088_thumb.jpg

Edited by EddieV

That remains a very popular route can get crowded