Training with Tubular wheels.

andreas17777

Good Morning. I recently won a set of tubular wheels. I have never ridden on tubulars before and did a lot of research on how to put the tyres on and everything about that. So last week the wheels were ready to ride. I put Continental Gatorskin 25mm tyres on which I thought should be the best puncture resistant. I also put some sealant in the tyre to prevent punctures. I read that people in the UK has gotten 1 000 miles+ on their tubular tyres without any issue.

After the ride I fell in love with them and just want to ride the tubby's now. There's just that thought of a puncture in the back of my mind and also the cost involved in replacing such a tyre.

My questions are:

1. Is there anybody that can fix a puctured tubby?
  2. Who else trains with their tubular wheels?
  3. Should I only use the wheels for special occasions?

Any views would be great.

Thanks.

Im no expert. I use my Tubbies for racing only.

If you puncture on a ride you will either have to walk home, call a friend to fetch you or Uber home. You cannot change a tubby puncture on a ride.

You can weight up the risks and rewards :)

Good Morning. I recently won a set of tubular wheels. I have never ridden on tubulars before and did a lot of research on how to put the tyres on and everything about that. So last week the wheels were ready to ride. I put Continental Gatorskin 25mm tyres on which I thought should be the best puncture resistant. I also put some sealant in the tyre to prevent punctures. I read that people in the UK has gotten 1 000 miles+ on their tubular tyres without any issue.

After the ride I fell in love with them and just want to ride the tubby's now. There's just that thought of a puncture in the back of my mind and also the cost involved in replacing such a tyre.

My questions are:

1. Is there anybody that can fix a puctured tubby?
  2. Who else trains with their tubular wheels?
  3. Should I only use the wheels for special occasions?

Any views would be great.

Thanks.

Learn to fix it yourself not difficult at all,but the sealant will make it more challenging to patch the tube itself .

If you puncture on the road just pull the tubby of and put the spare on -no need to walk home.

Edited by NISI

Learn to fix it yourself not difficult at all,but the sealant will make it more challenging to patch the tube itself .

If you puncture on the road just pull the tubby of and put the spare on -no need to walk home.

How do you carry your spare tubby, like this?  :whistling:

http://mediastore4.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MAG/Media/TR7/4/c/8/7/PAR122887.jpg

My every day ride broke down last year and I couldn't find the parts to fix it. All I had to do my Argus training was an old classic that runs on tubbies. I ended up riding  them (Gatorskins) exclusively for about 4 months and goodness only knows how many miles. Didn't have a single puncture. I agree on the great ride they give you. And they make a nice sound too....the sound of "fast"!

How do you carry your spare tubby, like this?  :whistling:

http://mediastore4.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MAG/Media/TR7/4/c/8/7/PAR122887.jpg

Yes, if you ride an old steel classic. Otherwise folded up in your back pocket or taped to your seat post.

Carry a can of latex sealant with you, that always works for me. It should get you home if the hole is not to big.

My every day ride broke down last year and I couldn't find the parts to fix it. All I had to do my Argus training was an old classic that runs on tubbies. I ended up riding  them (Gatorskins) exclusively for about 4 months and goodness only knows how many miles. Didn't have a single puncture. I agree on the great ride they give you. And they make a nice sound too....the sound of "fast"!

This, period!

Im no expert. I use my Tubbies for racing only.

If you puncture on a ride you will either have to walk home, call a friend to fetch you or Uber home. You cannot change a tubby puncture on a ride.

You can weight up the risks and rewards :)

'change a tubby puncture'? I have replaced a punctured tubby on a ride and still finished my ride but was very very very careful especially when turning .... well aware that if it 'rolls' off you gonna see your proverbial a$$e 

I carry a spare (taped up else it's so bulky ... ok wait even taped up it's still bulky :( ) in my pocket when I do ride tubbies

'change a tubby puncture'? I have replaced a punctured tubby on a ride and still finished my ride but was very very very careful especially when turning .... well aware that if it 'rolls' off you gonna see your proverbial a$$e 

I carry a spare (taped up else it's so bulky ... ok wait even taped up it's still bulky :( ) in my pocket when I do ride tubbies

What I was alluding to.

Whenever I took my tubbies on a training ride, I just hoped not to puncture, and that the slime I put in did it's job. I did not even own a spare tubbie.

Thankfully I never punctured.

I train on my tubbies often because they make me feel fast.

I have not had a puncture on my tubbies or clinchers in the last 3 years so not too phased at this point.

I wouldn't train on tubbies until the final week before an event when you are doing fine tuning and speed work. Why train on fast stuff and always feel the same?\

Also, if you do fix a puncture on a tubby, I wouldn't do speed training sessions on them and I would then also never race on that tubby.

Just my two cents. But really for me, tubbies are for feeling and GOING fast when you are racing :-)

The only punctures I have had in the last 5 years have been pinch flats which would not have happened if I had been on a tubby.

Having said that, I have had a front tubby roll off the rim. No mirror was needed for me to see my @rse.