Recommend me a rear tyre

fanievb

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, grip is required up front not at the rear. All 90kg of me ensures sufficient grip at the rear

Don't need a serious/aggressive tyre at the rear which will be eaten up by tar roads.

I need to cycle at least 14km tar everytime I go for a ride, Gonubie has only one way in and out.

Also used to ride a mix of tar/gravel got avg 5 000 km per tyre from of my last 3 crossmarks. Would be ok for your application at the rear. Recently changed riding to gravel and singletrack and tyres to Saguaro's. Now I understand what everybody meant when they said that Maxxis provide crappy grip.  

Hi, I am currently riding a Maxxis Crossmark as a rear tire, works well in all terrain (wet or dry).

.......so longevity and rolling resistance trumps grip.......

Seriously?

Tell him what it is like when your grippy rear tyre gives the back of your neck a scratch :ph34r:

The Maxxis Crossmark comes in a 70a which is really hard and wears slowly if tar chewing up your tyre is a problem. You might however have to order it from overseas.

It must be grippy because MoreTrails has one. 

Print out all the replies on this thread, take a black koukie, black out every time a person typed crossmark.

Apply printed papers to a wall, take a dart, proceed to scientifically choose a tire by throwing the dart at the papers.

Consider adding WTB wolverine to one of the pages. (I kinda just did with this reply)

Edit:

oooh..record process on video, and post to Pinkbike.

Edited by RocknRolla

Why not the Grid casing? According to the website its only 30g heavier than the Control, weighing in at 650g.

Fast Trak Control weighs about 550g. The grid is stronger, but the Control is lighter. And I think you pay more for the UST royalties on the grid.

Maxxis Ardent Race (J2C, Tankwa, W2W)

Crossmark's are great but the Ardent Race has slightly larger volume, slightly wider tread, just as fast rolling resistence and they're bullet proof.

And they're often on special on CWC

Crossmark is not for MTB, it is for gravel grinding.

It weighs 850gr and has no grip.
It will last a long time, but you may find yourself wishing that time would pass.
Ikon with EXO is very good  as a rear tyre. 585gr and lasts about 2500km for me. Also has nice linear cornering grip and surprising grip in wet.

I'm just going to sound like an echo but.....

Maxxis Crossmark are great for racking up the kay's and are some of the strongest tyres you'll find,but they are not very grippy on anything but hardpack gravel.

Next options I would recommend are Maxxis Ikon, Ardent Race and Vittoria Saguaro. This bunch will not last as long as the Crossmark, but will offer better grip with relatively good strength.

I would personally like to give the new Crossmark 2 a go, it looks like it might offer better grip than the normal Crossmark with the same strength and hopefully durability.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I was in exactly the same situation .I Like race king ,but they don,t last .I have used Maxxis Ikon ++++,Maxxis crossmark+++,conti X-king++++,Vittorio saguaro +++++,Rubena kratoz++++.My immediate choice would be Onza canis or Vittorio saguaro as a rear tyre

Edited by Blitzer

I have been through various rear tyres over the past few years ( Conti X-King and Race King, Maxxis Ikon and Crossmark, Bontrager whatever etc.)

If you want a tyre that is going to last you long with crappy grip get a Maxxis - doesnt matter which one. I hated the Ikon and the Crossmark. The Ikon is especially bad when climbing up some loose rocky terrain.

Continental - I enjoyed that tyre but they dont last when you throw in some sections of tar on your usual ride. I struggled to get more than 2000km out of a tyre.

Bontrager - Same as the Continental.

My current choice which is not changing anytime soon - Specialized Ground Control 2.3 up front and Specialized Fast track Control 2.0 at the rear. I get between 3000 and 4000km out of a fast track. It has plenty of grip (At the right pressure) and is about the cheapest out of all the options mentioned thus far. I think I paid less than R500 for my previous one. Best bang for your buck IMHO.