ebike advice

mikey1982

Hi folks. I've been a casual rider for a number of years but suffered a nasty ankle injury at the beginning of the year which is hampering my cycling. I've been considering in investing in an e-bike or an electric motor for my existing MTB to assist me until my ankle has fully recovered (which could possibly take another 12 months). If I opt for the motor and fit it myself, I'll happily buy new. But if I opt for the other option I'd prefer to look at second hand e bikes for sale seeing as it will only be a temporary measure. (I've been looking at some here: http://www.forsale.co.za/e-bikes) I have no experience of e-bikes or electric motors for bikes. So any advice would be hugely appreciated. (I've included a photo of my broken ankle just for fun).

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g254/chippycarrol/ankle_zpsn1bekf21.jpg

Edited by mikey1982

That's a bit of a tough one.. If you're planning on riding proper MTB, then just fitting a motor to a normal bike IMO won't really be the best solution.

Remember, these new E-MTB's are designed to still handle like a 10kg bike with no battery or motor attached. Attaching a 10kg motor and battery to a normal bike will seriously screw with the way it handles.

Also, these new E-MTB's are only pedal assist bikes. The give what you give. There is no throttle.

I guess I'm trying to say, i you're gonna shred the trails, buy an E-MTB. If you're gonna do road and jeep track, put a motor on your bike.

Hi Mikey

I'm into my third month of owning an ebike. Spez Leveo Comp. I've spent the last two years on a Pyga and love trail riding, I've been riding most of my life. The Ebike has opened new doors for me and I'm loving riding right now. I'm clocking a 100km+ per week where as before I'd put a max of 45km in on the Pyga. I actively go out looking for technical climbs now even though I've been more into downhill and enduro in the past it's more like adventure riding now. I've never been big on the hurt locker nor am I competitive. Riding is just more fun now. I'm getting a great workout as I have adjustable assistance from the motor. If I hit a 45km ride with a 1000m of climbing I'll have about 20% assistance from the motor and the rest from my input. An average ride I would clock 13-15km per hour now I average 20km per hour but I have increased my climbing by about 60%. You have to manage the battery on a bigger the ride with less input from the motor. The bike is limited to 25km per hour and if you want to go faster you have to put the effort in like anybody else. If I ride with my buddies i just tune the motor and ride at there pace or in some cases up the anti just to keep up. There is allot of misconception out there on how these bikes actually work. Try and take one for a test ride you wont regret it. Ignore the nay-Sayers the critics and the fundamentalists. These bikes don't rip up the trails, they are not for fat or disabled people they are a serious bit of trail kit and hell of allot of fun.

Edited by Tree Hubber

Thanks for all the info and insights guys.

"I guess I'm trying to say, i you're gonna shred the trails, buy an E-MTB. If you're gonna do road and jeep track, put a motor on your bike."

That makes perfect sense JetStar500, and given my current situation it will probably be the 2nd of the two options that i will be going for.

Edited by mikey1982

Just remember to check with your trails if they allow eBikes on there. A lot don't.

Hi Mikey

I went the 'fit kit to bike' route after importing a kit from China. Fitted it to a simple 7 speed bike, to use as a commuter-thinks it does a great job of taking the 'edge' of cycling if that is not what you are after.

Let me know if you go down that route-can give you few pointers for things to look out for

post-16676-0-22855700-1469603622_thumb.jpeg

Just remember to check with your trails if they allow eBikes on there. A lot don't.

Hi Napalm Are you able to confirm which trails don't allow ebikes. Id be very interested.

Hi Napalm Are you able to confirm which trails don't allow ebikes. Id be very interested.

Actually locally there aren't any that have an active formal ban as yet. A lot of guys aren't even aware of them and those that are aware, are still working out the impact. 

Best is to still contact the trail owners/builders directly.

Hi Mikey

I went the 'fit kit to bike' route after importing a kit from China. Fitted it to a simple 7 speed bike, to use as a commuter-thinks it does a great job of taking the 'edge' of cycling if that is not what you are after.

Let me know if you go down that route-can give you few pointers for things to look out for

Thanks for the info and offer of further advice oli1234. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was lucky to test the Specialized Turbo Levo at Wines2Whales this year....I can honestly say these bikes are AWESOME!!!

It really brings back the fun in MTBing, if my budget allow's me.....I will deffff buy myself one in the future.

The only problem I have is that if MTB events will allow them when entering events ect.

Maybe a E-Bike category???? 

I was lucky to test the Specialized Turbo Levo at Wines2Whales this year....I can honestly say these bikes are AWESOME!!!

It really brings back the fun in MTBing, if my budget allow's me.....I will deffff buy myself one in the future.

The only problem I have is that if MTB events will allow them when entering events ect.

Maybe a E-Bike category???? 

On the topic of races events. Sure if it is events for the social aspect or exploring new terrain - that could work. But never in a competition scenario - that will just be a contest of who has the biggest and longest....lasting battery....strongest motor, etc.

I also happened to test a (different) E-MTB over the weekend. It is impressive what it can do - smashing hills like it's nothing. But I felt that it was rather taking away from the sport than contributing. I mean, I could not really place the bike in terms of use, apart from trekking. Maybe the guys with genuine interest may enlighten me on that aspect.

Also, I felt embarassed to be seen on a help my trap.

But, well, you know, that's just like uh, my opinion, man

edit: words.

Edited by Koei

I think primary application is still commuting, sweat free in the morning and then a heavy bike to exercise back home in the afternoon.

Problem is you can buy a decent motorbike for the price.